PDA

View Full Version : USDAA Triumphs

areese
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, although Laika Weener couldn't run this past weekend, Owen and Salsalita had a very succesful trial.
Mr. Owen Weenie ran like his old self again. Only maybe even better. This past spring at this very same location was when he decided to go on his agility strike. His performance has been off and on since then and he pretty much stopped running in class and doesn't much like running at home either.
I really think it is mental not physical, for many reasons. But don't know exactly what is going on. So he just watches at class and I've been running him once or twice a day at trials and he's been doing well.
BUT he was so amazing this past weekend. He ran three runs and qualified two of them. He knocked a bar in Standard on Sunday which NQ'd him but there was a big dip in the ground there so he misjudged the height. He was SOOOO fast. 14 seconds UNDER time and believe me, USDAA courses and times are not made with weenie dogs in mind. The vast majority of dogs running were border collies and aussies, with shelties and a few JRTs...the occasional odd breed here and there.... But the best part was how dam happy he was. His tail was going a bazillion miles an hour. When he was on the pause table (where they must lay down for 5 seconds while the judge counts) he was just looking at me with those big eyes and his tail is just waggin and wagging...he DOVE into tunnels...I don't think he had ever run that fast. On Saturday he was the ONLY Performance dog to qualify in standard!! He just shines when he is "on" like that. He is so proud and confident...and I am so proud of him. It's the only place he is like that...at home he's rather silly and always worried about not getting enough attention or enough food or enough bones...but there, running, he is just so brave and cool and strong. I'm SOOO glad I started doing agility with him.
And Salsa...what can I say. Everyone is very sure she is the smallest dog doing USDAA agility AND she qualified in all of the 4 runs she was entered in.
She and Owen were the only Performance dogs to qualify in Gamblers ( a game that requires the dogs to work at a distance from the handler) Saturday and she also ended up having to run the Pairs Relay with a border collie!!! (cuz our partner didn't show up and the BC was the only dog without a partner) And run it in big dog time (big dogs get less time than little ones). And did it!!! And ran the most amazing advanced snooker course ever on Sunday. People screamed so loud as she finished...she was SOOOOOOOO serious which is just so funny in such a tiny thing. There are some pictures on this site:http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4103195
look at Sunday ring 1 advanced snooker,
And we won a new big dog bed in the worker's raffle. And I got a free picture from the photographer (she used it on her board to show people her work)
I am still just so happy about how they did. And tired as heck from getting up for three mornings at 4 am. It was "my" club that put on the trial so had to set up and tear down and do everything inbetween. It's an amazing amount of work but I think it went really well...
Owen on the dogwalk
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/owenondogwalk.jpg

Barb
09-22-2008, 11:04 PM
WOW - that sounds SOOO exciting !!! The picture of Owee is awesome !!! Guess he was "just taking a break" and now has " his groove back" !!!!! :rotfl:

Like anyone, sometimes you get tired of doing stuff - he found his desire to run again !!!!

Someday I want to see those kids run....amazing !!!! And Salsa bug....it is no wonder the crowd was cheering her on !!!!

Hey - kewl prizes too !!! Sounds like an exhausting, fun-filled week end !!

Congrats to both kids and still sending Miss Laika rays so that her tummy feels better.

Go Owen W and Salsa B - WOO HOO :appl:

Tex
09-23-2008, 08:04 AM
:congrats: to everybody!!! :love5: that pic!!!

Otto'sMom
09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
That's awesome you got to have such fun!

areese
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
It was a lot of fun :) I do feel, when I'm competing in USDAA, that I need to "prove" something. I DON'T, it's just me...but the people tend to be more competative and not as nice as CPE...some of them are snooty and look down on non-traditional agility dogs so I feel some pressure to perform well. So when my dogs do well, I feel extra good.
I think I did feel more relaxed than I usually do at this trial, cuz a lot of my friends were there and the judge for starters was so cool. A real sweet laid-back guy from North Carolina with a nice accent and he was kinda cute too :)

Rileybugg
09-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun - and a lot of work. Glad Owen is enjoying it again. Go Weiners!!!!!:cheer3: :cheer3:

bittyup
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
THAT IS JUST FANTIASTIC . CONGRATULATIONS:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: I LOVE THE PICTURE OF OWEN WEENIE. YOU GO BOY. AMY, WHAT IS SNOOKER? I ONLY KNOW THE KIND THAT INVOLVES A POOL TABLE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF FUN.:cheer3: