PDA

View Full Version : New puppy is a nibbler

blueyezz74
02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
He will nibble on fingers. He also runs after Harley and tries to get him. Last night he grabbed onto Butch's mom's pom's tail and got dragged a few feet. :shocked:

Does anyone have an resources?

I remember Harley was a nibbler but I don't think it was this bad.

Courtney
02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
well, that's what puppies do! Harley will put him in his place. I found the best way to deal with it was ignoring the dog and ending playtime when he bit me. I would fold my arms and turn my back on the dog, or roll over if we were in bed, or get up even. good luck!

blueyezz74
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Courtney,
I've been doing that. I'll pick him up and put him on the floor or on the couch next to me. I also tell him No! Hopefully it clicks. He drew blood on Grandma yesterday. We warned her that his teeth are very sharp.

Courtney
02-09-2006, 02:19 PM
OW! Unfortunately it might be something he'll do for a while. When Napoleon was a puppy - and he was a good puppy - I had scratches all on my hands and up and down my arms! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

blueyezz74
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Harley has barked at him but he usually runs away from him. Harley lets anyone do anything to him. Butch's neice can play with his ears and tail and he could care less.

Max has been latching on to my engagement ring though. I hope I'm not going to have to go through puppy poop looking for a diamond any time soon! :shocked:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
My pup, Lil' Smokey, was a nipper. He bit my nose 2x but the 2nd time I bit his back. He never did it again! He' s 4 mos. now & is loosing his teeth,
he' s been chewing his Nylabone & Rope bones alot. He' s 1 to keep an eye on too. When he goes outside he tries to chew on everything...pine cones, rocks, tree limbs, leaves. But they do out grow it!

blueyezz74
02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Max is 3 months old. I think what worked with Harley was when he bit us we would say "Ouch!" really loud. I may have to try that again.

I spent $72 on toys & nylabones yesterday. You'd think he'd want the cute toys. No! He wants our noses and fingers :confused:

quavec
02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
No advice, but nose and finger :bigrayz: :bigrayz: . Let's hope he doesn't start on the furniture. When we had Bella with us, she chewed. We stopped it - by stern NO's, time outs and water sprays. Well, now that she is back home with her real family (over a year - she's over 2 now!), she has chewed their couch, window sill, countless shoes, clothes and anything else she can get her teeth into! Their other two dogs don't chew anything - of course Bella hasn't given them much to chew on anymore!

blueyezz74
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh, water sprays! I totally forgot about that! I'll have to try that too.