PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if

mamaw
02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
this belongs here or somewhere else. Anyway I have a terrible time clipping my crews nails because of the squrimming and since I got my trk paid off this month I called my vet and asked how much it would cost me for them to do their nails 14$ per dog. 14x3=42$ NO Way I was looking thro my Foster Smith catalog and came across "careful clipper" supposed to illumiate the quick of the nail they said it would work on black nails. I ordered it as my crew really need their nails cut. When I cut their nails I usually cut someones too short. I have the septic stuff which stops the bleeding but that does nothing to sooth my guilt for getting to short. If I can see the quick I need to figure out something on the squrimming. Turbo is the worst squrimer.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I tell everyone to try a little peanut butter on your finger. If you have to, smear a little bit on the end of his nose to get him still, while he' s licking his nose, clip a nail. I have even held a Nylabone in front of my pup' s face to get his done. While he bit the bone, I clipped a nail.

lotsadox
02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I used pieces of hot dog. I'd clip and nail, give a piece of hot dog. It worked pretty well on most of my dogs. After while they were pretty good about nails because they associated it with good food.

Let us know how the nail clipper works. I'd be interested in buying one if you could really see the quick.

Lisa
02-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Ooooh, you have to post if it works and if so a link of where you got it! I would love something like that.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
www.drsfosterandsmith.com is the web site

jenfer
02-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I took Gigi to her day care place, they have grooming too. And it's $5. They even have punch card. :D

mamaw
02-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Absolutely great idea using the peanut butter and hot dog on Cinnamon and Turbo but since Snoopy is allergic to ingrediants in peanut butter and hot dogs he would have to have a doggie biscuit free of the things he is allergic to. Which is chicken,turkey,venison and anything that contains soybean. I have found a buscuit at Aldi's which is made with beef under the brand name Shep. I have also switched his food to Eukanuba Responce FP as per the vets recomendation which is fish and potato he is doing great on this as I switched him over very slow. I will be so happy when the serum comes in to start his allergy shots which should be here anytime. I feel I have taken care of the food allergy's but since we have such a mild winter here in Ga the weeds he is allergic to are growing. Please send rays that these weeds don't get out of control until he gets his shots or I can eliminate them.

jennie_c_d
02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Mamaw, have you tried the Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter? All it has is peanuts and salt... You can also use cream cheese, tahini, anything sticky really.

I smear it on the fridge and set the dog in front of the fridge while I clip and let them lick their little hearts out.

Patt
02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Perhaps you could get a group price at a groomers, they are usually less expensive. Good luck on your new 'clippers'.

Pokeys Mom
02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Our current vet charges $20, but the PetCo down the street charges $8. It helped to shop around. Also, we lucked out at this PetCo because they always use a Dremmel for finishing or for a free touch-up.

Have you tried a Dremmel? Most people who use them love them to pieces. :) Good luck with the food motivation! We used stuffed Kongs (any ingredients will do) for the really long distractions. ;)

areese
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Our current vet charges $20, but the PetCo down the street charges $8. It helped to shop around. Also, we lucked out at this PetCo because they always use a Dremmel for finishing or for a free touch-up.

Have you tried a Dremmel? Most people who use them love them to pieces. :) Good luck with the food motivation! We used stuffed Kongs (any ingredients will do) for the really long distractions. ;)
I use the dremmel. Laika would never let me clip hers but she lets me use the dremmel. Owen is still nervous about it but if I use treats and the clicker (he loves that clicker) I can get them done. And as an added bonus, last time I was doing his, Laika got jealous and next thing I know she's laying on her back next to us, feet in the air, do mine, mama, do mine!
Amy, Laika, and Owen