PDA

View Full Version : Laika update

areese
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
I got to see Laika today!!! She looks wonderful!!! She was so very excited to see us it was kinda scary..she screamed and cried and whined for 20 minutes...couldn't stop. I can certainly see why they didn't want me to visit earlier! Actually, I felt it was kind of cruel to visit even now since I had to leave her again..they had to sedate her. But the dr thought it was important I see her and see she is still Laika and that she is ok. I think he was right..cuz I feel so much better. Yesterday was just an awful day for me. He was VERY pleased with her progress today. She is using the left (bad) leg quite a bit. Wagging her tail, peeing on her own. I walked her with the sling and she was all over the place. Her incision isn't THAT bad....it is healing wonderfully. She looked beautiful..they had washed her butt and brushed her cuz she had tangles in her ears from the e-collar (she was biting her IV line when that was in). Saw pics of her MRI. Her spinal cord was shoved WAY the heck over to one side by the bulging disc. Rest of her spine looks perfect thank goodness.
She can come home tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frzframe
10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Oh Amy, I'm crying tears of joy for you and Laika. Seeing them makes the world of difference then just hearing that they are doing okay. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: for her using that leg. That is great news. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for continued healing.

After you get her home and she has settled in give her a big ol' hug and lots of kisses from me. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

ebmw1975
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:
How wonderful! I am so glad that yall got to see each other and that she is doing GREAT! I bet you both will be even happier when she is home :hug99: . Zillions of get well soon :bigrayz: and lots of :hug99: for you, Salsa and Owen.

K2
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
:cheer3: Go Laika!!! That is great news! So glad you got to see each other. Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: her way. :hug99:

Jen
10-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh Amy, what a relief!! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: Sending healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her!

Da Brat
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
:woohoo: So very relieved to hear a great report!! :hug99: to you and Laika!!

areese
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I know we still have a long way to go..a part of me also freaks out occasionally...what if she doesn't get better than this??? But that's silly I know...she has been better every day...it's just been 4 days... yesterday she wasn't using the left leg at all and had to have her urine expressed...
I wish my brain had an "off" switch!

Lisa
10-15-2008, 07:40 PM
That is the best news we have had in a while. Go Laika!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Rafi
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Hurray!!! for Laika!!! Here are some extra :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and some :hug99::hug99: for all the puppers.

Kasianni
10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
What wonderful news!!! More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her.

lotsadox
10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
:woohoo: Great news! I'm so glad that you got to see her. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

She's up and walking and that's all that matters. Go, Laika. :hearts: :hearts:

Barb
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Yippee Yahoodies !!!! That is such fabulous news !!!! I am so happy for you and for Laika - she will be SOOOO glad to get home !!! Look forward to tomorrows report !!!! :bighug: mommy, your baby girl is coming home !

oceangirls
10-15-2008, 08:47 PM
She is doing awesome!! Lots of time and opportunity for further rehab. I am sure the fact that she is so healthy and active will help her healing :cheer3:

Hug her for us. Well, you may hug her for you first :hug99:

Patt
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I am sure the fact that she is so healthy and active will help her healing :cheer3:
:ditto:

More healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your sweet Laika. I hope she has a complete recovery. :crossfin:

TheDoxieHaus
10-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Excellent Laika news! I'm so happy for you!

michelehbc
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
OH Thank GOODNESS!! That is such happy news Amy! :cheer3:

AnnMarieK
10-15-2008, 09:28 PM
:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: Great new !!!!!!! I am so happy she is doing so well...:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Tanya
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
That is the best news!!! I am so happy for you and Laika!!!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

alfina
10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
It's great! She will get better. Sabrina had her surgery end of July and now she does zoomies again! And you can even see her incision. The hair grew over it.

wawailc
10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: YAAAAY! :cheer3: :cheer3: Laika! You go girl!

Mommy, baby steps, baby steps! Your baby will be fine in no time!

Tex
10-16-2008, 09:34 AM
SO glad to have a good update on Miss Laika!!!!!:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Continued improvement :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: on the way!!!

bsquared
10-16-2008, 09:43 AM
WOO HOOOOOO!!!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: That is such wonderful news, Amy!!!! :hug99: :hug99:

Amanda
10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Thats great news. I'm so happy that she's okay and doing better by the day. I bet your so excited to get her home tomorrow!

LUVMYGUNNER
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
That is great news. When you are ready to you should join www.dodgerslist.com Its the first board I joined when i got Gunner it is awesome with all the info they have.

Alex's Mom
10-16-2008, 02:56 PM
So??? Is our girl home yet??? :hug99::hug99:

Barb
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM

:toetap: Waiting to hear !!!

areese
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM

Ok, she's home. Picked her up around 2:30 with instructions and a pile of potty pads cuz she was having diarrhea. Fortunately she did not poop on me on the way home and it seems to have stopped. Prob. stress. I could hear her yelling when we got there..she wanted to be carried around today they said and protested being in the crate. She liked to be out and about, they said.
She has eaten (made her chicken and rice) drank (made her a water/yogurt shake) and peed for a good long time. She seems a bit out of it but she is on tramadol as well as the prednisone and sucralfate and pepsid (so the other meds don't eat a hole in her tummy). She's being good in the crate so far...
We got a wheeled cart out of the barn so she is up close to eye level and I can move her from room to room.
So....so far so good. I'm a bit freaked out. I'm the least squeamish person I know, but for some reason seeing her legs drag makes me sick to my stomach and dizzy, She DID walk quite well with the sling outside and squatted to pee for a long time..that seems good.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm driving myself nuts.

samandissy
10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Great news. I am so glad she is home and improving. Sendng more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :hug99: and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for all of you. What do Owen and Salsa think is going on with here????

lotsadox
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm glad she's home and doing well. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

It's sad when they drag their legs, but they dont' mind it as much as we do. Dogs accept things much better than we accept them. But she probably shouldn't be dragging her legs. That's hard on the legs and the back.

areese
10-16-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm glad she's home and doing well. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

It's sad when they drag their legs, but they dont' mind it as much as we do. Dogs accept things much better than we accept them. But she probably shouldn't be dragging her legs. That's hard on the legs and the back.

Well she's not running around dragging her legs. But when she goes out to go potty (the only time she is allowed out of the crate) she is wobbly and dragging the left...

Barb
10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
WOO HOO !!! So glad baby girl is home !!!! Once she gets settled in and her legs start building strength - you will see a difference. Don't drive yourself nuts - LOL !!! Just take each day at a time and rejoice in the accomplishments she makes each day - no matter how small. Her body has been through a lot in the last week, but she is strong... it will just take some time to come back. Please keep us posted - we are here for her, and YOU !!!!

Alex's Mom
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
:woohoo: she's home!!! I SO hear you about the squeamish part...I was like that on occasion with various of Alex's "adventures in wobbliness." I think it's a sympathy thing...when I worked for the vet association I got to watch lot of operations, which were really interesting, and not a squeam in sight! But even watching my dogs getting their teeth cleaned was enough to put me on the edge of a :faint: Emotions get mixed in with it, don't they!!! Not to worry too much about her leg...she just needs the strength built up in it, and believe me, Amy, there is NOBODY who will do a better job with that than you!!! :hug99::hug99::hug99: and give the Diva some lovin' from Aunty P (and you'd better give the Bug and Owen Weenie some too just so they don't feel left out!)

lotsadox
10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Well she's not running around dragging her legs. But when she goes out to go potty (the only time she is allowed out of the crate) she is wobbly and dragging the left...

Oh, good! When you said "seeing her legs drag makes me sick to my stomach and dizzy", I thought she was dragging her legs. Sorry.

areese
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh, good! When you said "seeing her legs drag makes me sick to my stomach and dizzy", I thought she was dragging her legs. Sorry.
She does kinda drag them around the crate..but there's not much room and she's gotta big cushy pillow so it's hard for her to walk in there. I don't know if that is right but I want her to be comfortable since she has to be laying down so much.
She gets in a hurry outside and they do collapse :( It's just kind of awful even though she doesn't mind. They said at the vet they were really pleased with her progress...I am just reminding myself of that.
She ate dinner and then a snack and went out and peed and then went out and pooped and just now went out and peed again. That is our night so far :)

Otto'sMom
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good night so far! One night at a time, one day at a time.

Frzframe
10-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like she's doing just fine. We love you Laika. Hang in there Amy, you're doing great. :bighug:

Barb
10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Amy - just the peeing and pooping on her own is a huge accomplishment !!!! You both have done very good on the first day home !!! Take a deep breath......

lotsadox
10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Amy - just the peeing and pooping on her own is a huge accomplishment !!!! You both have done very good on the first day home !!! Take a deep breath......

No kidding! I had to express Amanda's bladder for a couple days and she didn't have very good bowel control for quite a while.

JuneyTrixie
10-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm glad to know that Laika is doing so much better. A lady that I know helped dogs get back their mobility by having them "swim" in water every day. Maybe when Laika's stitches are healed enough, you can put her in enough water in the tub that her paws don't touch the bottom and then you hold her tummy and help her "swim". Maybe then her legs will become stronger. Also, you might consider getting one of these special bathing tubs for grooming and use that for her "swim" lessons. That will probably be better than bending over a tub.

Just remember not to use a hairdryer on her, though, because you can burn her.