PDA

View Full Version : Reese and his Therapy Dog test....

Jill
10-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I never posted about it, but Reese took a TDI test on Saturday, and he didn't pass.

Not for any of the things I was nervous about though. But because he wouldn't do a down on the rubber floor. I never thought he'd fail because of that. I was so nervous about the wheelchairs and kids, that the obedience stuff never crossed my mind.

I was/am so proud of him either way. He was AMAZING with the autistic kids. AMAZING. Even the evaluator said so. We started with the supervised separation where I left him with the evaluator. It was timed for 3 minutes and I had to go out of sight. As soon as I walked into the ring, the kids were ooohing and ahhhing over him. So, anyway, I left and the kids start coming over to him. They are giggling and chuckling, and the evaluator is saying pet him and brush him etc. The 3 minutes is up and the timer is beeping, but the evaluator is not calling for me, so I just stay put, not really sure what's going on, and not wanting to risk failing him or whatever. Another 5 minutes goes by. During this time, the woman who was in charge of the kids was over with the evaluator and Reese and one girl. I could just barely see the tops of their heads over the dividers. And they are telling the girl to pet him. I guess she does but with her sweatshirt covering her hand. Then they tell her to touch his fur. As she goes to pet him, he licks her hand. And that was that. She kept petting him, and getting kisses on her face. She sat with him on her lap for a picture. I find out after that this girl was scared of dogs. Reese is the only one that she would pet.

Anyway, after all of that we started the rest of the test. He was so excited about the attention that he had trouble focusing. He did most everything right, although we had to do the loose leash walking 2x. But, he wouldn't do the down. I know it's because of the surface of the floor. But oh well. We’ll try again in a few months. Over the winter I am going to take a CGC prep class with him and we'll get it worked out.

Even though he didn’t pass, I am so proud of him.

:hearts:

Amanda
10-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Better luck next time. That's amazing that she was scared of dogs and the only dog she would pet was yours. Thats the power of a sweet little Dachshund.

Alex's Mom
10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
That made me get all teary, Jill. Even if he didn't pass the test officially, I'd say he passed the most important bit with flying colours!!!! :hearts::hearts: Reesy!!!

lotsadox
You should be proud of him. Great job, Reese! :appl: :appl: :appl:

JanUet
That is totally :awww: some!

I was just beaming with pride as I read your post :hearts:

:way2go: REESE!

Rae
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
That made me get all teary, Jill. Even if he didn't pass the test officially, I'd say he passed the most important bit with flying colours!!!! :hearts::hearts: Reesy!!!

yeah.
Down on a rubber floor vs. healing the heart of a child and earning her trust???

Jill
10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
yeah.
Down on a rubber floor vs. healing the heart of a child and earning her trust???

I know. After that had happened, when the evaluator said how great he was with her, she said that he would get extra points for that. I guess it just wasn't enough. Oh well! What can you do.

AgileOllie
10-23-2008, 09:22 AM
That is so cool!!! WTG Reese!!!

TheDoxieHaus
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
That is awesome! He'll get it right next time!

Linus
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
That's awesome!!! Reese is such a cool guy!

They are sticklers about the obedience stuff... Down here, I only have access to Delta Society, and they require the CGC first mainly for the obedience.

Piper is actually REALLY good in public (better than at home!), so I know we will get there....someday.

Jill
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
That's awesome!!! Reese is such a cool guy!

They are sticklers about the obedience stuff... Down here, I only have access to Delta Society, and they require the CGC first mainly for the obedience.

Piper is actually REALLY good in public (better than at home!), so I know we will get there....someday.

This was a dual test, TDI and CGC. So, I guess he passed the TDI, but didn't pass the CGC. :rotfl:

Barb
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow Jill, that story made me tingle - that is so very kewl !!!

A little work and he will be ready !!!!

Good job Reesie !

michelehbc
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
So Proud of our Reesie! Even if he didn't pass, he probably helped that little girl with her fear!

Way to go, Reese man! :appl:

ebmw1975
10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
That is AWSOME of Reese, its not his fault the floor is dumb and made up of wierd material :duh: . He passed in my book, as he already helped one little girl so You Go Reesie :appl: :appl: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Rileybugg
10-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Sounds like he has found his calling. Way to go!!!:woohoo: :boogie:

bittyup
10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
yeah.

I mean...seriously. Congratulations Reese:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: You have a special quality the test can't evaluate:hearts:

Tex
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Well said!!! I say :way2go: Reese!!!!

KansasDoxieMama
11-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Better luck next time Reeses, but if he made progress other places, that is a personal goal achieved!

CGC is a little hard to pass, I am getting qualified to judge it, and don't know if my weiner will down either, it is his least favorite thing to do, especially outside of the house.

Anywho, Congrats Reeses!

Have a weinerful day!