PDA

View Full Version : This has to STOP-dog chaining in AZ

LUVMYGUNNER
10-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I live in AZ and this makes me sick. I have a couple of dogs in my neighborhood that are always chained--no decend houses always on the chain, no socialization etc, etc.

Hi Irmtrud,

I still remember the morning walk with my own dog when I heard a whimpering sound. I peered through a crack in a fence to see a sad hound dog chained to a doghouse, unable to move.

Sadly, many helpless dogs are left to spend their entire lives in "solitary confinement," trapped at the end of a chain or in a small pen. For a social pack animal, there's no crueler punishment. Help outlaw dog-chaining nationwide by signing this petition:
http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/AbvcI/W0MH/rBnv

Dogs are members of the family, not old bicycles, lawn ornaments or furry alarm systems. And, chaining dogs is dangerous. Chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to attack than dogs not tethered, and children are most often the victims of these attacks.

More than 80 cities and two states already restrict chaining and the suffering it causes, but dogs across the U.S. should be protected from this cruel practice. Tell your state senator to ban or severely restrict dog-chaining in Arizona. http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/AbvcI/W0MH/rBnv

Sincerely,

Claudine
10-25-2008, 07:06 PM
My neighbors (who are actually very friendly & seem very nice) keep their little LH doxie "Jinx" chained outside all day. He does go in at night but I feel so sorry for him. When Bob & Skippy & I go walking we always go in the back & visit with Jinx for awhile; I know he gets lonely. I have also picked Jinx up out of the street at least 4 times & returned him home. Although they always thank me they just don't seem the least concerned that he was running in the street (and we live in town = plenty of traffic). I even told them once that if they'd like, i'd be happy to adopt Jinx, but they said "no, it's our kids' dog". Weeeelllll, maybe the "kids" need to pay a lot more attention! Upsetting.:sosad:

bittyup
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
THAT IS HORRIBLE. WHY HAVE A DOG IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE HIS LOVE. PETA HAS A POSTER OF A DOG CHAINED UP AND IT SAYS.... LIFE SENTENCE>>>>NO PAROLE, ITS SO SAD. THOSE POOR DOGS MUST FEEL SO DESPERATE. THOSE SIX INCH CHAINS HEAVY ENOUGH TO SINK A CRUISE SHIP HAVE GOT TO GO. THE ALL SEASON CARD BOARD BOX WITH THE SEMI-ANNUAL FOOD AND WATER DISH JUST THREE FEET OUT OF REACH IS ANOTHER WINNER. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.:sosad:

Patt
10-26-2008, 07:16 PM
My neighbors (who are actually very friendly & seem very nice) keep their little LH doxie "Jinx" chained outside all day. He does go in at night but I feel so sorry for him. When Bob & Skippy & I go walking we always go in the back & visit with Jinx for awhile; I know he gets lonely. I have also picked Jinx up out of the street at least 4 times & returned him home. Although they always thank me they just don't seem the least concerned that he was running in the street (and we live in town = plenty of traffic). I even told them once that if they'd like, i'd be happy to adopt Jinx, but they said "no, it's our kids' dog". Weeeelllll, maybe the "kids" need to pay a lot more attention! Upsetting.:sosad:
:sosad: I think if it were me after the second time of picking him up I would not be returning him to his so called home. He would go to rescue or a shelter as a stray.

Patt
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
ITA chains are no way to live. CA is one of the two states that doesn't allow chaining dogs 24/7.

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/news/061003State_CA_Law.htm

Claudine
10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
You know Patt i've thought about it but i'm just afraid he might somehow end up being euthenized.Probably not, as he's purebred & absolutely georgeous, but that's the only reason I don't take him to the shelter. We don't have any rescue places in my area that I know of.

LUVMYGUNNER
10-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Claudine he won't be euthanized if you turn him into a rescue--don't turn him into a shelter.

bittyup
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
You know Patt i've thought about it but i'm just afraid he might somehow end up being euthenized.Probably not, as he's purebred & absolutely georgeous, but that's the only reason I don't take him to the shelter. We don't have any rescue places in my area that I know of.

Does your Vet know of any rescues. They usually have the names of a few. The local shelters usually have a heads up on some breed rescues as well. Good luck.Hope everything works out well for Jinx.

Chris
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
I would contact Dogs Deserve Better. Their volunteers handle this all the time. They may approach the people in some way - sometimes they are able to negotiate with people and the dog ends up unchained and in the house or may send something depending if there is a volunteer in your area. Sometimes people really just don't know or just don't realize and its hard for them to hear it from a neighbor because they'll think you are just a busybody or that you just want their dog. Sure, occasionally end up getting relinquished if the family really doesn't give a darn about the dog/can't take care of them or the condition is truly deplorable but it doesn't sound like it, but the real goal is education because if let's say they gave up this dog, they would get another one and treat it the same even if not immediately, sometime down the road. Maybe they would let him sit out there less. But also, is he really out there year round from dawn til dusk with no water or shelter? or just out for a few hours on nice days? Still not great, but there is a difference in your approach depending on if they are really abusing/neglecting the dog or you just don't think they are being the best dog parents they can be.

LUVMYGUNNER
10-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Claudine you live in NJ I'm sure there are rescues nearby. Yolanda would know.

Frzframe
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I got Molly because someone decided she had enough of her life on a chain. They turned her over to a caring person who turned her over to CCDR.

Claudine
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
I called my vet about this & he gave me the address & a contact person's name for a rescue that is only about 15 minutes from where I live. The next time I find Jinx out wandering in the street I intend to contact these people. Yes, Jinx is outside all day (I think while the mother is at work). Haven't ever seen him out when it's snowing or freezing; so they aren't completely unfeeling. He does have a food & water bowl every time i've gone back there. He is also under a covered carport which of course is open on all sides. Yesterday it was pouring rain, windy & about 40 degrees.......and he was out there in that. Really sad.:sosad:

bittyup
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately I think the law considers the carport shelter. Hope I'm wrong. All that is needed is a place to get out of the weather and a bowl. Wonder why they don't crate him inside. At least he'd be safe and then he couldn't have accidents....if thats their reason for keeping him out. I want to steal him myself. There is room on the couch. Good luck!