PDA

View Full Version : You want the okay news or the scary news?

Linus
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
The okay news: its an intestinal inflammation. Something he ate didn't agree with him. Not an obstruction. Have meds, will be fine.

The scary news: They took an x-ray to rule out an obstruction... I didn't look at the intestines, I looked at his back...

He's got two discs that don't look great. Dr. Emerson said it is really early IVDD. (I am literally sick to my stomach writing this.) He said that he looked back for previous x-rays and didn't find any, but that this could be something that Bailey has lived with all his life. It could worsen, or it could stay the same. From now on, he will have an x-ray done every 6 months or every year to check the progress.

I burst into tears when I saw the x-ray. I told them that I am a member here and that I've heard good stories and bad. He told me to forget what he said and live life normally. How can I? Becca was my voice of reason and told me that at least I won't be blindsided if it does happen and my mom said that with the semi-annual x-rays, we can catch problems early. Its just terrifying, you know?

Now Bailey, Radley, Piper and I are going to crawl into a hole and wake up Saturday wishing this week would have never happened.

Barb
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh Lins..... definately good news that he just has an intestional bug... sending
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that he is over it quicky.

Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: :hug99: for you regarding his back. It IS terrifying - but your voice of reason and your mom are right on. You are now prepared and you are being pro-active. THAT is a great thing !!! It is something that all doxie mommies and daddies have to worry about, because of the breed. Hang in there mommy and be strong and live your life. It may just make you more aware of the things that you know he shouldn't be doing and work harder to control those.

You CAN do this !!!! But it wouldn't hurt to go get in your bed and just snuggle with all the puppers :)

Yolanda
11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Good new really.

As Barb said be proactive and let him continue life as he knows it. Contradiction in saying but I think you know what I am trying to say.

areese
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Our neurosurgeon said most doxies do show signs of IVDD. It's just how they are. It is so prevalent....All they can see on an x-ray is if there are calcifications. A calcification does NOT mean that disc is going to rupture for sure though. It really is a normal part of a dachshund aging. Unfortunately.
Bailey is no different today than he was yesterday. I wouldn't let him do stairs or jump up and down off furniture (if you do that now even) but it's also good for him to be strong and lean and active. I don't know what continued x-rays are going to do except freak you out, honestly.
You can look at some here and read about it if you feel up to it...
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CalcifiedDiscs.htm
I know it is way easier to say don't freak out and let him live than to actually DO it. Boy...do I know.... I talked to a lovely elderly woman today who raises doxies (champions in the ring, field, earthdog) and she said one of hers went down when she was 3. She is 13 now and still running around. Got her Field Championship after the injury. Does Rally now which does include a jump. I met the dog last year and she is wonderful.
Things like that make me feel a lot better.

Lisa
11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
I know he is your baby boy and it is scary. Like mentioned, now you have the information which is a good thing! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Glad his tummy is going to be okay.

Otto'sMom
11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Just an FYI, Grrrt, who was mobile till the day she bit the big one, had calcified discs from the day I got her, and never once blew one out. If they're gonna go bad, worrying about it won't prevent it. Let them live and have fun.

Alex's Mom
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
You know, Lins, one of the many things that Alex taught me (along with the fact that there are no bodily emissions that you can't deal with if you've had enough desensitization "training" :rolleyes: ) is that there is always hope. Every time she was diagnosed with yet another major killer thing...the cancer, the heart, the liver disease, the gall bladder blockages, the arthritics, the Cushings, the reocurrence of the tumours... I'd feel JUST the way you do...then I'd watch her like a hawk for a long while, and eventually, once I'd digested that new scary turn in the road, I'd see that in the end, she just continued to live her life, and that was all I could let her do. It IS scary, and you ARE going to worry, but in the end, all you can do is watch, and let them enjoy life as much as they can in as normal a way as possible. Be glad that you've been forewarned, and enjoy him just as you always have (obstruction free!! :)) Have a good day of pulling the covers over your head...you're allowed that after the week you've had! :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
eventually, once I'd digested that new scary turn in the road, I'd see that in the end, she just continued to live her life, and that was all I could let her do. It IS scary, and you ARE going to worry, but in the end, all you can do is watch, and let them enjoy life as much as they can in as normal a way as possible. Be glad that you've been forewarned, and enjoy him just as you always have (obstruction free!! :)) Have a good day of pulling the covers over your head...you're allowed that after the week you've had! :hug99::hug99:

:ditto: It is scary, but most dachshunds do have some calcification. That doesn't necessarily mean that he will have back problems. Or he might only have them in old age. You can control everything that he does or everything that happens. Let him be a dog and enjoy him. :hug99: :hug99:

oceangirls
11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
If it would make you feel better, we can ALL have our dachsies x-rayed and probably find out they ALL have early IVDD. If your vet would do that for free for us. Think he'd go for that?? :scratch: Then we can all reassure each other. Or freak out together. One of the two.

I'm sorry you found this out - my mom (who is a nurse) has always said sometimes it is better not to know all the possible medical things that "could" happen :(. This was after my dad at age 50 found out he had a brain aneurysm (which is what his mother died suddenly from), had sugery to clip it, and then had a stroke (((sigh))).

You know I'm very familiar with the whole "waiting and worrying" thing :rolleyes:. Feel free to vent anytime. Love you and Bailey :hug99:

Jill
11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
:hug99: It'll be ok!

Linus
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys. It was just a scary thing to see...

For those of you that have had experience, Bailey has the narrowing of disc space problem, not so much the calcification.

Azaren
11-14-2008, 10:04 PM
:hug99: :hug99: for you. I'm sure the x-ray was scary, I would worry too. Everyone on here has had great advice (as always).

Sophie and Lili's Mom
11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Talk to Dr. Caplin about acupuncture and see if that might be a good preventive step to take. I think she is on the CCDR board (or is it ATDR).

JanUet
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
When Sophie's back went out 3 years ago, I was told she had calcified discs. It is near the base of her tail.
I was :shocked:
I worried, I cried and I watched her like a hawk.
I didn't let her do stairs ( I don't have any in my apartment- thank doG)
I lift her on the couch and the bed.
I am super careful with her.
I let her just be her and take each day as it comes.:hearts:

Sending you a :bighug:

Mama S.
11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh honey your week has royally sucked. Won't bother telling you not to worry you won't listen but then none of us would either. Will say to take each day as it comes and love him no matter and life will be good!!! Plenty of love and hugs your way!!

michelehbc
11-15-2008, 10:38 PM
:hug99:

bsquared
11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Just want to send you lots and lots of :hug99: ! I know it's scary and I would feel the same as you...but the positive is that you know and you can keep an eye on it. Keep on keepin' on and have fun...as my mommy would say, "worrying won't do anything but give ya wrinkles. " ;) :hug99:

Barb
11-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Linsey - how is Bailey feeling this morning? Does his tummy seem to be feeling better?

Jen
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Glad Bailey's tummy is on the mend.

Tasha had two IVDD incidents--three years ago. Since then we use ramps, keep her trim, give her cosequin and ester-C and she has been ok. No telling what the future will bring but for now she out-hikes us every weekend! :hug99:

Tex
11-17-2008, 09:12 AM
First, glad that his tummy issue wasn't an obstruction!:cheer3:

Second, as for the discs...no great advice (that hasn't been said already), but sending :bighug: !

Courtney
11-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Ok I managed to avoid the computer all weekend... I agree with everyone that you do what you can do with this breed. You are feeding him a great diet, and he's in shape and lean - all good things. Start a savings account if you have not already. I know it seems like you'd need that extra $ each month but we started having ours taken out of our paychecks every month and truly do not miss it. Also I would probably add supplements if you don't already - even though with raw, I don't usually supplement, I just started giving these to Thor daily because of agility:

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/94/2

And finally, :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for everyone and :hug99: for you!