PDA

View Full Version : Laikaween update

areese
11-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, today is 6 weeks since the surgery. Seems longer...and not that long, too.
Laika is continuing to do wonderfully and I am starting to relax. A little.
She was sick to her stomach Tuesday, probably from too many treats at the agility trial, not to mention 2 marrow bones on Sunday to keep her quiet.
I freaked out...but by 1 pm she was hopping around eating rice and chicken.
She seems to have a bit of neuropathy in that left foot still. It works well, but seems to be very sensitive to cold or wet so when she is out in the snow she skips a bit more than inside. But that's nothing, really.
We've been going on "The Big Walk" daily (if it's not snowing too much) but on the leash, which pissed her off to begin with but she's adjusting.
Today when Rob came home she jumped at least 3 inches right in the air! I know she prob. shouldn't jump but she's Laika...and it's going to happen sometimes and it was the first time she's been able to jump like that! Good to see. Then we yelled at her to stop.
Her muscles are back in that left thigh and she has lost some of the weight she gained while crate-bound (and eating peanut butter kongs and marrow bones) I think. Her shaved hair is coming back nicely-if she was a smooth doxie it would be grown back totally but hasn't caught up with her long hair. Looks funny with her curls sticking up all around it :)
Her biggest problem is she really hates her harness and runs from me when we are going to go outside. She is thoroughly spoiled. I had her out and wanted her to not go under the deck. She wouldn't listen to me so I yanked on the leash some. She turned and gave me such a look. HOW DARE YOU! So funny. Doesn't take long to spoil them. Today she came and stared at me and did her little "pogo" jump which means she wants something. I asked her to show me..she showed me the sunbeam by the back door. yesterday I put the beds there so they could lay in the sun in comfort. She wanted them there again!
I complied.
All are happy.
Me too :)

lotsadox
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
It sounds like Laika is doing so well, Amy. I know it's scary when they jump, but you can't keep them from doing some things. You just do your best.

Bogart was really pi**y at first about having to go out with the leash and harness. Acted really annoyed about it. He finally gave up and realized it was the only way he was getting out of the crate.

Amanda always had a bit of a skip with her hind legs after her surgery. Never slowed her down a bit though. :cheer3: :cheer3:

oceangirls
11-22-2008, 12:55 PM
that is a great update :). I love that she showed you a sunbeam :sunny:. They sure like their sun!

areese
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm really really pleased with her progress.
It's funny...I do participate in the health and nutrition group that is a part of Dodger's list and we were talking about hair growing back after surgery and I said something about that..and something about it having been almost 6 weeks and someone wrote me saying I'll have to fill them in soon on how I am reintroducing activity after the 6 weeks are up and she's out of the crate! Twice I've written a post about how my vet said to start her walking at 17 days post-op...how I had her eating standing up from the time she came home as per Yolanda...and how by 4 weeks we were walking 15 minutes outside...and how wonderfully she has done and how I think activity helped her progress...and twice I've chickened out and deleted it cuz I am a wimp!:rolleyes:

Barb
11-22-2008, 01:01 PM
What an awesome report !!! Warms my heart :heart:

lotsadox
11-22-2008, 01:24 PM
They can be pretty rigid on DodgerList. Everything is cut and dried and to formula.

I did many of the same things as per my vet. I had Bogart up and standing and walking some really early on. She said as long as it was controlled walking it was okay. Just not to let him run around much. I also think that it helped his recovery and prevented a lot of muscle loss.

Alex's Mom
11-22-2008, 02:00 PM
What a great update!!! :hearts: Sounds like our diva has her mom firmly under her paw...which is as it should be!! :) give her many :hug99::hug99: from me, and a couple to her sibs (and a few to their mom too). And a few :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: thrown in for continued good news!

Goob
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Go Laika Weiner! :cheer3: Great news! Sounds like her spirits are good, which is a key! Keep up the good work, I know it's hard! :hug99: The Prof is planning a party for when all our DLC doggies on the mend are well! He says it's going to be a math party but I asked him to change it to something more celebratory. :shocked: :rotfl: He says to tell Laika if she needs some books, he'll send his latest book on Imaginary Integers for her reading pleasure.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: <------ for Laika from the Prof.

Jill
11-22-2008, 03:09 PM
wow, it seems like it went by so fast. I am glad she is doing so well.

areese
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Go Laika Weiner! :cheer3: Great news! Sounds like her spirits are good, which is a key! Keep up the good work, I know it's hard! :hug99: The Prof is planning a party for when all our DLC doggies on the mend are well! He says it's going to be a math party but I asked him to change it to something more celebratory. :shocked: :rotfl: He says to tell Laika if she needs some books, he'll send his latest book on Imaginary Integers for her reading pleasure.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: <------ for Laika from the Prof.

Laika asks can it be a Rat Party??? With main activities being chasing rats, biting rats, and rolling on dead rats. or other vermin. Even cats. She's not picky.
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the Prof. from Laikaweener.

Goob
11-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Laika asks can it be a Rat Party??? With main activities being chasing rats, biting rats, and rolling on dead rats. or other vermin. Even cats. She's not picky.
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the Prof. from Laikaweener.

Laikaweiner,

Math is much more fun than rats. Please reconsider the theme for our party.

-The Prof

areese
11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Dear the Prof,
I think we should be democratic about it and vote. I am sure with your wonderful math abilities and your great mind, you could make a poll.
sincerely,
Laika

Goob
11-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Laika,

There's no time like the present for you to gain major academic achievement. I am sending my whole collection of text books. Please call me when you receive them and we can go over the basics. Rats are for the birds.

Your Fellow Friend on the Mend,

The Prof

areese
11-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Dear Esteemed The Prof,
Perhaps during your extensive reading you could investigate the origions of our breed.
Hunting badgers, rabbits, other vermin has long been a part of our illustrious history, but I read nothing about MATH.
Sincerely,
Laika

areese
11-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Deer Da Pwof,
I gots an idea for da party. I think we shood EAT. After we EAT, we could have DESSERT. Den wun awound a widdle, den EAT.
I think dis iz da berry good idea. Da Bug thinks dats a berry good idea too.
Lub,
Owen Weenie

Goob
11-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Laika,

It's time to break from the mold! No more critter hunting. I also included a high speed calculator in your package as well as our 12 week sylibus. I'll need you to send in your assignments daily through the internet machine.

Best Regards,

The Prof

Goob
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Deer Da Pwof,
I gots an idea for da party. I think we shood EAT. After we EAT, we could have DESSERT. Den wun awound a widdle, den EAT.
I think dis iz da berry good idea. Da Bug thinks dats a berry good idea too.
Lub,
Owen Weenie

Owen Weenie,

Dis be Snooter. I agrees wit you. My brudder is a nerd, not the life of the party. Tell Da Bug herro!

-Snooter Rooter

Rileybugg
11-23-2008, 02:09 AM
:cheer3: :cheer3: for the good news!!!

Tex
11-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Ok, first the dialog between Laika and and the Prof had me seriously laughing out loud. My dogs now have good reason to think I've completely lost it!

Glad to hear that Laika is on the mend. I'm just waiting for her "return to agility" thread. I know there will be one, I have da faith!

Patt
11-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Fabulous update. :cheer3: It's good to hear Laika is doing so well. :cheer3:

I think the recovery period works different for every dog. Laika was and is in excellent physical shape and I'm sure that is why she did so well recouping from surgery. Possibly a couch potato dog wouldn't have recovered as fast... Just a thought.

Alex's Mom
11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Ok, first the dialog between Laika and and the Prof had me seriously laughing out loud. My dogs now have good reason to think I've completely lost it!

Glad to hear that Laika is on the mend. I'm just waiting for her "return to agility" thread. I know there will be one, I have da faith!
HUGE :ditto::ditto: :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I think the recovery period works different for every dog. Laika was and is in excellent physical shape and I'm sure that is why she did so well recouping from surgery. Possibly a couch potato dog wouldn't have recovered as fast... Just a thought.

I totally believe that, Patt. :thumbup: I think that the basic health and physcial condition of a dog has everything to do with how well they recover. I think the main reason Bogart recovered from his back issue at 15 was that he was an extremely healthy dog and pretty active for an older gentleman.

When I was in a car accident a couple years ago and came thru a hard side hit with nothing but some bruises, my chiro said it was probably because of two things. My seatbelt tightened up and I was in good physical shape.