PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading

BethMH
02-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I cannot find the post where two different books were suggested.

I believe one of them was ~ Leader of the Pack ~ which I ordered yesterday while at Barnes & Noble.

I thought the other was ~ The Dog Listener ~ and I went ahead and picked up a copy of it yesterday.

I cannot remember if it was Patt, or Lisa, or someone else who suggested these readings, but if anyone remembers - please let me know.

Thanks!

(Bottom line - I need to become the alpha pup - Rueben doesn't always seem to think that is my role.)

Courtney
02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Yep those sound right... Leader of the Pack by Patricia McConnell and The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell.

Lisa
02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Dachshunds for Dummies and The Hound Health Book are also two other must have books (but health, not behavior)

K2
02-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Those are all awesome books!!!

Yolanda
02-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Good luck with your reading. those are two great books.
Yes, The Hoomnas needs to be the Apha Pack Leaders.

Patt
02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Great suggestions given. Anything by Patricia Mcconnell is worth reading. Check them out on Amazon.com or your library.

I'll be Home Soon (Paperback),
The Other End of the Leash
How to be the Leader of the Pack & have your Dog Love You For It.
The last one includes out-of-control barkers and lungers.

I'm patiently waiting for The Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millian's) book due out in April. :cheer2:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Dachshunds for Dummies & The Everything Dachshund books are good. I own both, as well as The Dachshund Handbook & The Complete Idiot' s to Dachshunds. I got all of these from Barnes & Noble my fave place to go when I' m shopping.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell is the best dog book I have ever read. I love her. Do not confuse her with the Dog Whisperer. I do not like him. His ideas start with Jan's but the times I have seen him, he has done things that I feel are on the border of abusive. I do not believe a dog EVER needs to be kneed. I do not believe that meeting aggression with aggression is positive training. Those are the things I have seen from him.

areese
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
"Bones Would Rain from the Sky; Deepening our Relationships with Dogs" by Suzanne Clothier is a really really good book, too.

BethMH
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for confirming I had the correct books, and for suggesting additional reading. Oh my gosh - I started The Dog Listener yesterday morning, and I am having trouble putting it down! GREAT book! I cannot wait to get Leader of the Pack and all of the other books everyone has mentioned. While I was at Barnes & Noble, I did pick up the Dachshund for Dummies book and thumbed through it. I really wanted to get it, but, I do not have endless funds to spend on books. So, I figure, I'll get a book here and there. It's not like I'll read them all in one night anyway.

Thanks again! I am learning so much! Probably a smart thing to do before adding another doxie to my current pack.