PDA

View Full Version : Pogo update -- he is home - update post #24

Lisa
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
We are home and OMG he is doing so amazing! I thought I might black out when I saw him, but I was just so happy to see him the rest didn't even matter. We came home and set up his crate upstairs in our bedroom.

After he settled in, we went up and got him (put all the other P's away) and brought him outside. We used his sling to support his back-end and he peed right away. We then did some physical therapy with him and snuggled on the big bed and told him how proud we are of him and that he is still our #1 sausage.

Around 4:30 we brought him out again and he pooped outside for Rafi. He still needs the sling for support (which is fine), but is doing great.

We fed him dinner at 5:00 and made him stand for his supper (thanks Amy :hug99: ). We just brought him down to pee again. :cheer3: :cheer3: He is using his legs independently, which is great, but his left leg seems much stronger, so we will really have to work with his right. I don't want to give the illusion that he is running around, but given he had surgery 3 days ago I couldn't be happier or more proud of my little man. Baby steps...literally.

I can't tell you all how much we appreciate all the rayz and support from ya'll. It has been a horrible week, but next week is looking much better. I just need some :crossfin: :crossfin: that my job will let me work 1/2 in the office and 1/2 at home so I can keep an eye on Pogo and do his physical therapy.

Jill
12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
:cheer3: awesome update!!!

Linus
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
:woohoo: Fantastic news!! :woohoo:

Kasianni
12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow!! So glad to hear he is doing well!!!! Go Pogo, go Pogo!!!!! :love9: you!!

viener weiner
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
that's great!!!!

Yolanda
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome home POGO. :cheer3: :cheer3:

Lisa, I know I do not have to tell you to not let him over do it. If I am sure on one thing in life it your love for the "P's".

I do have two suggest to help with his weaker back leg. One for Mommy and one for Daddy.

Have him do each of the below 15 seconds and then repeat several time.

1. For Mommy: Stand him up make sure his weak back leg is placed correctly on the floor and then place the foot of his stronger leg in the palm of you hand. You want his to balance on the weaker leg.

2. For Daddy: Hold Pogo standing him sideways on your lap with Pogos front legs on one of your legs and the back legs on your other leg. Then move you legs and feet alternating heel toe, heal toe/left right, left right. This will make Pogo balance on four of his feet.

Good luck with our boy and keep us posted on his progress.

areese
12-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Thank Yolanda,she's the one that told me to have Laika eat standing up!
I'm SOOO glad he's doing so well. He's gonna get better really fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: you can get some time at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfina
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
That's great. I am sure both of you feel better having him home.

Rafi
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
2. For Daddy: Hold Pogo standing him sideways on your lap with Pogos front legs on one of your legs and the back legs on your other leg. Then move you legs and feet alternating heel toe, heal toe/left right, left right. This will make Pogo balance on four of his feet.

Excellent suggestion... Pogo loves being on my Lap so this will not be a problem... Its a little game him and I will play from now on.

Barb
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
That is such good news !!!! :crossfin: that work will "work" with you !!!!

Tex
12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
First, WELCOME HOME POGO!!!!:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Second, Yo's suggestion of balancing on Rafi's legs sounds like it would mimic the balance board we built for Jax (with the advice of his physical therapist). I wish I had thought to do it on somebody's lap!

AgileOllie
12-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh, I'm SO happy!! I've been thinking about him non-stop.:hug99:

lotsadox
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: That is so great, Lisa! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: It sounds like Pogo is doing really well. I can't tell you how happy it makes me.

From my experience, one leg is often affected more than the other. Some extra P/T for that leg should make it stronger. Just the fact that he's able to walk and is using his legs independently is so good. Go, Pogo! :cheer3: :cheer3:

TheDoxieHaus
12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm so glad he made it home safely and is doing good! I know you guys are happy to have him back!

Alex's Mom
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
:woohoo: Was out to dinner and came home to this :cheer2::cheer2: Now I can go to bed happy...have been thinking about you guys all day! How are the other P's reacting to him? (and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: that your job sees sense and lets you be at home with him!!! :hug99::hug99:

oceangirls
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
:cheer3: Superweenie :cheer3: :D

In a way, it's probably kind of nice that Pogo isn't a crazy little spaz of a doxie and likes his mommy & daddy time. I always figure if my girls have back problems, Angel would handle it better (not that I want either one to, just that she would. Knocking frantically on wood as I type that).

Frzframe
12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
:woohoo: Glad he is home and walking to boot!

Tanya
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Pogo is amazing!!!!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for his continued improvement!

Jen
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
:woohoo: Great update on your amazing little man! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Keep up the good work. And for the record, I used a balance board in PT for my hip and it was horrible. Effective though.

Rileybugg
12-08-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm so happy for all of you! :hug99: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

jenfer
12-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Excellent update. :)

Lisa
12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
The other P's are making adjustments of their own right now, so their focus isn't on Pogo. They have lost their couches (we never used them!). Right now they are turned facing the wall, but we will try to sell them since they are really new. Over-reaction? Sure, but I don't care. We can actually use the space to move their crates differently so they have a bigger play area. It's not like we have company over anyway, and if we do they are have to sit in the kitchen as most people don't like 5 dogs abusing them in various ways.

They also all got new crates and everyone will be in their crate for feeding time and sleeping from here forward. We are really going to have to work with Nutbar. She is still wild and crazy and like a little jumping bean. I am not sure how to get her to stop, but she is really long so I am worried about her. I am so torn, because she is very skittish with people and is finally coming out of her shell and demanding attention. However, she does so by jumping like she is on a Pogo-stick. If anyone has any anti jumping tips with 3 other dogs also bouncing around her seeking attention, I would truly love to hear them. I don't want to use the water bottle of doom because I don't want her to be afraid of being around us, I guess we just need some one-on-one time with her and train her to sit for attention.

Pogo does not like when the other dogs bark at him, he starts to shake right away. I think he knows he is weaker and afraid of the pack. He is enjoying his private Mom & Dad time. We can feel the difference from last night to this morning, he is really getting stronger everyday. As far as crate rest goes, we do not predict any problems with Pogo. He has been crate trained since he was a puppy and he doesn't really care about other dogs, so I think he is comfy hanging in our room from the rest of the noisy beasts.

JanUet
12-08-2008, 07:06 AM
:cheer3: Fabulous update! :cheer3:

What a relief to read that Pogo is making wonderful progress after his surgery :hug99: :cheer3: :appl:

Rafi
12-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Update:

Pogo is doing very well, we have made changes to our daily morning routine, Pogo is fed and taken care of separately to avoid any unnecessary stress until he is fully recovered.

I took him outside this morning for potty and after was done he did a little trot towards the house, not a run but like a tiny jog. I'm very happy that he wants to move on he's own and I don't have to coax him to walk.

The puppy port is once again a life saver, today they are calling for more snow, but our spoiled brats can pee and poo under shelter.

When we went to pickup Pogo yesterday, the Undergrad and Doctor both said how much of a good boy he was in the crate vs other dogs that get all wild and rip out their catheter. It just confirms the importance of crate training.

wawailc
12-08-2008, 09:22 AM
:cheer3: :cheer3: GREAT NEWS! :cheer3: :cheer3:
Go Pogo go! GETTTTTTTT WELLLL! :cheer3: :cheer3:

Otto'sMom
12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm so glad all the news is good! Keep it up Pogo, Mommy and Daddy love you more than life itself:hearts:

bsquared
12-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Woo hoo! :cheer3: :cheer3: What wonderful news! Keep getting better and better Pogo! :hearts:

Rae
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
so glad Pogo is making excellent progress!!! YAY!!!!

I know you are nuts about him - and all the P's - glad he is better.

Barb
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
That is such awesome news !!! Go Pogo !!

lotsadox
12-08-2008, 12:09 PM
That's great news, Lisa! :cheer3: :cheer3: Pogo is making progress already :cheer3: :cheer3:

Probably because you and Rafi are such good hoo-parents :hearts: :hearts:

ebmw1975
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
:welcome2: Home Pogo!!! And WHat a Asesome recovery you are doing so far, just keep it up :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

P'Nut is shy around people? She wasnt with me when I got to hold her and love on her at Buda, so am I special :scratch: ?

Lisa
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
P'Nut is shy around people? She wasnt with me when I got to hold her and love on her at Buda, so am I special :scratch: ? You sure are! Usually she flees in terror but will warm up after a little bit. It is weird. Pogo is all about people all of the time and doesn't like other dogs. Pixel will always chose a human, but will play if he is not getting enough human adoration. Pepsi is right down the middle. I think he sees humans and dogs as equals and balances his time. Pretzel is more social with people, but prefers to hang with dogs and play. P'nut is all about the pooches. We are a mere tool to feed her and tell her how beautiful she is. Beyond that I don't think we serve any purpose to her.

Teddysmom
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
:welcome2: HOME POGO!!!! Awesome news; but then again.....this is Pogo we're talking about......it's gonna be awesome!!! so glad to hear he's doing so well. Keep it going little guy!:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: