PDA

View Full Version : Mitch is in the Hospital

Red Haired Girl
12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
He yelped when I picked him up off the bed to get up this morning. He'd take a couple steps and lay down. I carried him outside so he could potty. He stood there in one place and did both then moved over and laid down again. Off to the vet as soon as they opened at 8:00.

They examined him. He is really sensitive in his neck area. They did xrays and found a calcified disk in his lumbar region which would explain his little skip when he walks. But the scary thing is that there are 3 disks in his neck area that look bad. They have him on IV steroids and pain killers. once they get him stable they are going to tranquilize him and either do more xrays or a myelogram (sp) to see exactly what is going on. The vet said he'll be there a few days.

I have to take him some food and another blanket. My poor baby boy :sosad:

Barb
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh no !!! Mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: on the way for Mitch.... and :hug99: :hug99: for you. Please keep us posted !

lotsadox
12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, no! Sending tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you.

oceangirls
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
%$#@. Sending lots of rayz :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: . Please keep us updated.

:hug99: for mom, too.

Kasianni
12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh no sorry to hear this. Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Mitch and :hug99: for you.

AgileOllie
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh no!!! I hope he feels better soon!

Lisa
12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
:holyshp: the myelogram / MRI is the only way they can really see what is going on.

If you need anyone to talk to there are lots of us here to listen (me included).

Please keep us posted!! I am sorry you have to be away from your little man for a couple day, that part is really hard. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Lots of rayz for Mitch. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

How is Low-la doing with her brother away?

Red Haired Girl
12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
How is Low-la doing with her brother away?

She is lov'n it. Pepper, my foster, went to her new home last weekend, this weekend Mitch disappeared; Low-la is starting to believe in Santa Clause:oldnick:

Thanks for the rayz and prayers and hugs. I know I'm looking at a long crate rest for Mitch.

Jen
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Mitch is hurting. :bighug: Sounds like he'll be getting excellent medical care. We're here if you need us.

areese
12-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Lots and lots and lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch!

Frzframe
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear Mitch is hurting. Many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that he'll be home and feeling good soon.

Otto'sMom
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
OK, this is the first time I've ever had to LOL in a scary in the hospital thread, but Low-La's belief in Santa just tickled me~
Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: I hear they're magical at Xmas. And a :bighug: to you to not worry and be heartbroken.

Red Haired Girl
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I just dropped off his food. His vet was still there and met me at the door - They close at 12:00 on Sat. but we arranged for me to leave his food where he could find it when he came in to do evening rounds - He gave me a brief update.

There is no change. He is on 2 IV's and *resting comfortably* (vet speak for livin' in La La Land) If there is any change for the worse he will call me tonight otherwise he said don't fret about Mitch and he will call me in the morning to let me know how he does through the night.

So here I am - not Fretting.....:sosad:

Frankie'sMom
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
:hug99: Impossible not to fret. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch to feel better soon so he can get back home with his mom and sis.

Alex's Mom
12-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh sweetie!! How scary...but the good news is you got him in right away. Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch, and just as many :hug99: :hug99: for his worried mom. Keep us posted, OK? (I :rotfl: too about Low-la and Santa...I think that's how Jules would feel if James disappeared :rolleyes: )

Yolanda
12-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Many many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch.

Keep us posted.

Lisa
12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Don't fret, ya right! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear he is resting.

TheDoxieHaus
12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh no, poor little Mitch. Here are some Texas :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a good prognosis!

Chris
12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
any updates?

Mama S.
12-21-2008, 03:09 PM
So here I am - not Fretting.....:sosad:

yeahh ok.. FIBBER.... Great big huge hugs from da whole herd. Plenty lots of prayers and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: too.

lotsadox
12-21-2008, 03:47 PM
any updates?

I don't think she'll know any more until she talks to the vet tomorrow.

I'm sure she'll update us all then.

Lisa
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Any Monday update yet? :crossfin: :crossfin: :crossfin: :crossfin:

lotsadox
12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Tracy just pm'd me and she's at work and can't post. Here's the update

He has a fracture between the 3rd and 4th crevical vertibre in his neck. It is healing and he is responding to the medicines. They are going to let him come home today with strict crate rest for a minimum of 2 weeks. He also has severe calcifications mid back that are "ticking time bombs" according to his Dr.
It sucks but he is still with us

It sounds like we need to keep those :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: going for Mitch

Azaren
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the update...

Many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch.

Mama S.
12-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh h*ll - Fracture???? OOUUCCHHHHHHH:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jen
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Poor Mitch!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Red Haired Girl
12-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Well - He is home and in his crate. He isn't really all that put out since it is in the living room and all his blankets and bed are in it. I looked at the Xrays with the vet when I picked him up. He has a cracked neck. It is plain as day. He also has the 2 calcifications right behind the end of his rib cage.

We talked about the *what if* scenarios. Not if, but when he injures himself again I am to call them and tell them I am on my way in with him, no matter what time, day or night. They will diagnose and stabilize him. If it is something more than they can handle (surgery) they will get him into UT Vet hospital right away.

So that is where we are. If he wouldn't electrocute himself, I'd string lights around his crate so he'd be festive!

Thank you for all the :bigrayz: and prayers. We appreciate them more than I can say.
Tracy

Otto'sMom
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Cripes:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch and for you all too:hug99:

Lisa
12-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Lots more rayz. Time is truly of the essence. It can mean the difference between a full recovery and not, so if something should happen, heed the vets advise and contact them day or night. My only other advise is to know where the UT vet hospital is (exactly). When you are stressed and driving your baby around getting lost is the final straw of the day (personal misadventure when Poges went down).

Sadly, I am on the journey now with you, and it sucks. The only bright spot is watching them go through such trauma with their stubborn determination to overcome.

:bigrayz: :hug99: :bigrayz: :hug99: :bigrayz: :hug99: :bigrayz: :hug99: :bigrayz: :hug99:

oceangirls
12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow Tracy! I'm sorry.

This fracture seems like a different situation than IVDD? More like his vertebrae are brittle as opposed to his discs rupturing :scratch: (sort of like osteoporosis?). I don't know anything about it, just hoping maybe it won't be quite as easy to develop another fracture as it is to rupture a disc :crossfin: . Lots of rayz :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

You could try garland on the crate instead of lights... unless you think he'd eat it. Construction paper chains?

lotsadox
12-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks so much for the update, Tracy. I"m glad Mitch has a good attitude about being in his crate.

As Lisa said, with back injuries time is of the essence. If you think he's injured himself definitely call them and get him in ASAP.

Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you.

Patt
12-23-2008, 05:22 AM
More healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and positive thoughts for Mitch.

Tex
12-23-2008, 08:55 AM
SO sorry I'm late here....

Sending tons of healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch!!!!!!! And :bighug: for his non-fretting mom!

Alex's Mom
12-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh, Tracy!! Sending tons and tons and tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mitch, and just as many :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you. On the bright side, you know exactly what you're dealing with, and it sounds like you have excellent vet support. ITA with Lisa that time is of the essence...that's how Maxe managed to avoid surgery, cuz I got to recognizing the onset of a disk issue (and there were a few over the years), and we got her on crate rest and steroids ASAP. I know this is different, but still.... Glad he's settling into his crate happily.

bittyup
12-23-2008, 01:42 PM
OMG! I am sooo sorry this is late. i could have sworn I sent Mitch rayz! Lots of :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a speedy recovery!

Barb
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: still coming for Mitch... lots of :hug99: :hug99: for mom...

Red Haired Girl
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
He got up screaming in pain this morning. I had to take him outside in a sling so he could potty. I called the vet and she gave me some Tramadol for him. I came home from work early today. I got him out of his crate to pee and he still cried. I gave him 1/2 a pill and put him back in the crate. He sleeps.

Lisa
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Tramadol is what Pogo is on. He gets 15 mg 3 X per day. They recommend it because it is a opium based pain med, but it doesn't affect their motor skills (ie, doesn't make them more wobbly in IVDD cases). Also it is not as addictive compared to other types of pain meds.

Not like ANY of that helped you, but the meds do work pretty good and keeping them resting is the most important part right now.

I get that it's not an identical situation to what I am going through, but seeing your little men sick and in pain IS the same - so that part I am dealing with right along with you.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: x a million billion kazillion for Mitch.

lotsadox
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm so sorry Mitch is hurting. He may have just moved wrong the it hurt. The vet gave Bogart Tramadol, too, at first and it seemed to work well for him.

Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

areese
12-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Oh gosh that is awful...Laika had tramadol too, after surgery.
I really really hope he is better later...
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

areese
12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Ok..just went back and read cuz I missed the update.
My friend Sookie, who made the ramp for Laika, had a little terrier mix who has a problem in her neck. She thought a cervical collar of some sort might help so I made her one. Just a sorta tube made out of material, then I stuffed it and sewed rows down it (like quilting sorta) and put velcro at the ends. The dog really liked wearing it and it really did help. I amde another one without the lines sewn down it that is fat and puffy and she wore that one also. It made her not move her neck...when she turned it she would have pain and also it supported her neck. maybe something like that would help Mitch??? I know some dogs with cervical problems like to keep their head low...in that case it prob. wouldn't help but if he feels better with his head/neck erect it really might...

Mama S.
12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Santa I know you are super busy right now but could you please send some love and gentle hugs and PAIN relief to poor Mitch??:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Lisa
12-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok..just went back and read cuz I missed the update.
My friend Sookie, who made the ramp for Laika, had a little terrier mix who has a problem in her neck. She thought a cervical collar of some sort might help so I made her one. Just a sorta tube made out of material, then I stuffed it and sewed rows down it (like quilting sorta) and put velcro at the ends. The dog really liked wearing it and it really did help. I amde another one without the lines sewn down it that is fat and puffy and she wore that one also. It made her not move her neck...when she turned it she would have pain and also it supported her neck. maybe something like that would help Mitch??? I know some dogs with cervical problems like to keep their head low...in that case it prob. wouldn't help but if he feels better with his head/neck erect it really might...

I was thinking some kind of neck support too Amy, what you suggested sounds awesome, just a little extra support.

areese
12-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I was thinking some kind of neck support too Amy, what you suggested sounds awesome, just a little extra support.

It really did help Satchie...Sookie was at her wit's end cuz they just couldn't get rid of all her pain and she couldn't stand it if she cried (I couldn't either I am sure!!!!!!!!!) and the collar really helped. Satchie liked to wear it even.

Red Haired Girl
12-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Annnd just where would I get such a thing at 2:30 on Christmas eve :sosad: ? I thought a cervical collar would work well for him.

Alex's Mom
12-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I wonder if she'd give him a pain patch over Christmas? That really worked well for Alex after her cancer surgery...very stoned, very sleepy, very not noticing the fact that her innards had been all taken out, cut up, and then replaced.:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for poor Mitch...that screaming in pain is the absolute worst noise I've ever heard in my life. :hug99: :hug99: for you Tracy!!

areese
12-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Annnd just where would I get such a thing at 2:30 on Christmas eve :sosad: ? I thought a cervical collar would work well for him.
YOu gotta sew it for him....
How about a long sock??? Stuff it (you ahve stuffing of some sort?? or use cotton balls or old panyhose or more soft socks or something??? Use a sock and pin it.
I can make you one but couldn't mail it until Tuesday....doing agility friday and monday.

Yolanda
12-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Years ago I used an ace bandge to make a brance for my doxie with a neck injury. Worked wonderfully