View Full Version : Bad Mommy!!!(Pippit ate chocolate!!)

02-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I made some Valentine chocolate lollipops for Pippit's daycare people. Put them in a bag and hid it and was getting ready to put them each in a little bag when the phone rang. As I'm talking I can hear the russeling of a bag. I call Pippit and he comes.....When I go to investigate, he ate a lollipop!:scared1: It was one small WHITE chocolate lollipop. Should I be as freaked out as I am???

02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Just watch him. Last year around Easter Bailey found and ate (while being "watched" by a roommate) an entire Cadburry Egg and he was fine, no loose poopies are anything. He has also gotten into Raisinets and was fine then too. Doxies tend to have iron stomachs.

02-13-2006, 07:33 PM
He should be fine!!
Here is what I found in this link! (http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm)
What makes chocolate toxic, anyway?
Chocolate is made from the fruit (beans) of the cacao tree.

Theobromine, a component of chocolate, is the toxic compound in chocolate. (Caffeine is also present in chocolate, but in much smaller amounts than Theobromine.)

Theobromine's effect on the body:

* Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant
* Cardiovascular stimulant
* Increase blood pressure (mild)
* Nausea and vomiting

Are some chocolates more toxic than others?
Yes. Unsweetened (baker's) chocolate contains 8-10 times the amount of Theobromine as milk chocolate. Semi-sweet chocolate falls roughly in between the two for Theobromine content. White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that Theobromine poisoning is unlikely. Caffeine is present in chocolate, but less than Theobromine.

02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
So, white chocolate probably isn't as bad since it doesn't contain any cocoa???

02-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Pippit has a sweet tooth! Not too sure what to tell you as my two haven't ever gotten into chocolate (mommy is allergic, so not much chocolate in our hosue!). But here's some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: in case!

02-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Lisa. After reading your post and doing a search, this is what I found...

Which chocolate is the safest, relatively speaking? White
chocolate. It has the least amount of theobromine: 1 mg per ounce.

Far on the other side of the spectrum is baking chocolate, which has a

huge 450 mg of theobromine per ounce!
. White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes
250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog,125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you have everything under control, we need eyes in the back of heads to watch everything these little guys get into.

Sending :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: that Pippit won't have an upset tummy.

Alex's Mom
02-14-2006, 08:42 AM
If it's any consolation, both Alex and Maxe (at separate times) each ate the better part of a lb of chocolate and neither did so much as burp (BAD MOM!!! The li'l stinkers are such huge food thiefs...last weekend I threw a 50th birthday party for a friend, and someone had brought a spinach dip thing in a bread bowl, and the little piggie, in front of 15 people, STOLE it off the coffee table!!! Someone other than me grabbed her so that I could get it away from her, and I could just see her thinking "eat the food before mom takes it away or bite that horrid man that's got me?? What's a dachsie to do?!?" However, she did kindly clean up the carpet after herself, so all was forgiven :rotfl: ) . As the others have said, it totally depends on the kind of chocolate it is i.e., how pure it is. Dark chocolate is really really bad news, the white not so much. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Pippit...he just didn't see why if his daycare people were getting choccies, he shouldn't have some too! It is Valentine's Day, after all!!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Don' t feel bad it happens. Here' s my list:

Shadow- ate chap stick, chewed a pack of Rolaids, chewed a pack of breath mints & ate a few of 'em, (And I really think the breath mints made him sick) chewed a (tiny) tube of Neosparin ointment, chewed gum, stole 1/2 a PB&J sandwich
Reesee- ate 2 individual Reese' s PB cups, ate birdseed from the ground under the birdfeeder, stole her HeartGuard chews off the coffee table which she chewed open & ate!!!
Lil' Smokey & Sassy Baby- got into island cabinet & had a party w/ tortillas, powdered milk & a wicker basket. My sister said that they must have gotten the door open 'cos it didn' t close tight & that' s why they were able to pull it open.

02-14-2006, 12:24 PM
i'm sure he'll be fine. one of my pooches ate about 30 hershey kisses and he was fine!

02-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Cricket hovered under the dining room table last night as we were stuffing the kid's classroom candy bags. Just waiting for us to drop a piece of chocolate! He snorted and sniffed in the empty bags thinking we missed one :rotfl:

02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow, I don't think Pippit could eat enough white chocolate to hurt him, but its still scary.

Tasha has only got chocolate a few times, always from cakes and stuff people left on the ground...New Yorkers are pigs, there's so much food on the street here!

02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
He should be fine. My DH had a dachshund years ago (before I met him) who ate a whole bag of Hershey's kisses. He was very sick (throw ups and poopies), but was fine in a couple for days.

Laurie, Miller ate 2 tubes of chapstick. The DH left him in the car to go buy lottery tickets with the flavored chapstick laying in the console. He ate it and didn't have any problems. Cast iron stomach.