PDA

View Full Version : Max is a poop eater! EEwwwww!

blueyezz74
02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
:holyshp:

I have no clue how to handle this. When I see it i try to get to it before him. During the day he will be left in the x-pen with Harley all day. He doesn't do it all the time though. I've been feeding him 3 times a day. He just did it and I fed him an hour ago.

:help:

Linus
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Unfortunately..I think its just something dogs do. Bailey does..its disgusting and gross and he gets in trouble for it, but I don't think he'll stop. You can try Adolphs Meat Tenderizer in the food (the original kind) and see if that helps. I don't know how much though...I've just heard it suggested before.

Patt
02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Max could have learned this from watching his mom clean up after him and his siblings. Since he's just a pup he may outgrow it.

To us it is a disgusting, to them it is normal. I have tried just about everything Adolphs Meat Tenderizer, Forbid & Tobasco Sauce and nothing works. The only sure thing is to pick it up S.A.P. so he doesn't have a chance and make sure he doesn't see you clean up. I have heard that pineapple might work and Katja previously suggested Solid Gold Enzymes, I have no idea if either will do the trick.

Here is a link for an explanation:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/decoprophagia.html

isobelsmom
02-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I have poop muchers here and it has diminished since I started adding pineapple juice to their warm water for their breakfast and dinner. It takes a couple days for the juice to act, but I have noticed that Isobel will go for a poopy and then drop it and shake her head in disgust. Hello, Isobel. It was disgusting w/o the pineapple juice and NOW you shake your head?! Sheesh.

Adolph's really doesn't work well (and too high in sodium and MSG), Forbid is a waste of good money and the Solid Gold I have no expereince with. An Akita breeder I know told me about the pineapple juice thing and it seems to work...but it gets expensive with all my dogs...so I just try to pick up as fast as I am able while adding the minimum amount of juice (after lots of experimentation).

But, with one or two dogs, it would be fine. For L J at 9lbs. I add 4 tablespoons....for Noah at 24lbs. I add 1/4 cup. For Maia at 123lbs. I add 1 and a half cups. Seems to work ok here...but you have to keep doing it is the only problem. Hope this helps.

BTW...great link, Patt. Thanks!

blueyezz74
02-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Isobelsmom,
How much do you suggest for a 4.8 lb puppy that gets fed 3 times a day?

Thanks! I'm definitely trying it.

Nancy
02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
molly ate poop last week for the first time. i guess it something they just do! nasty, yup, but hey, it wasnt my favorite pair of shoes! :rotfl:

Jen
02-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh Donna, sorry to hear about Max's snacking habits. Tasha doesn't care for dog poop, just horse or human poo.

blueyezz74
02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Well, I'm also go Harley would has an obsession with rolling around in stinky cat poop. One day, he got 2 baths because of it.

I don't know which is worse. Eating poop or rolling in it! :shocked:

Jen
02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Mmm, if they eat it, you only deal with bad breath, but if they roll in it, worse, much worse in my book!

jenfer
02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Tasha doesn't care for dog poop, just horse or human poo.
where does she gets human poo? :rotfl: sorry, just have to ask.

gigi was a poop eater too. sometimes she still tries to get to them, i just have to beat her to it in picking it up. don't want to give her any chances.