PDA

View Full Version : Rigby's Class Number Two

Anatresia
02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Rigby started out the night on a good note. She greeted last week's dogs with submission/curiosity (yay!) but a new addition- a big, adorable chocolate lab pup (my second favorite breed/color)- made her very, very angry. She just hates labs. As soon as he came within a foot of her blanket (yes, she has a blanket while everyone else sits on the cold floor) she would bark and growl and show her teeth.

Genius trainer lady then shot her with water from a water bottle. That would be fine if she were barking at home, but it was just too much for poor Riggers. She was a very unhappy camper the rest of the class.

She did the tricks/commands well, though. She is smarter than I give her credit for, I think.

The BIGGEST, BESTEST change, however, was the way she greeted Max, the other dachshund in the class. SHE LOVES HIM!!! She was rolling and peeing submissively at first, then all class she cried and cried until she could reach him and greet him.

So, Rigby might have a boyfriend!!!:hearts: :rotfl: She appears to like longhaired guys!!! :rotfl:

K2
02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, at least she may have made a :love5: connection~just in time for Valentine's Day!!!

I can't believe the trainer got her with the water! I'm sure Rigby will come around as the weeks go by.

:appl: :banana: Good job, Rigby~doing all your tricks with that lab nearby!

Linus
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Bailey prefers smaller dogs too...

Great job in class, Rigby!

K2
02-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh~Tracy, I have to tell you that when I first read the post title, I thought Rigby did #2 during her class!!!!:rotfl:

Anatresia
02-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh~Tracy, I have to tell you that when I first read the post title, I thought Rigby did #2 during her class!!!!:rotfl:
:rotfl:
Nope- she did submissively pee, though!

Nancy
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
good girl rigby! sounds like she is making progress!

areese
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Laika dislikes bigger dogs and especially puppies and especially labs and goldens. I think they are often kinda "rude" dogs. Overly friendly. It's appropriate for a small dog to growl if a bigger dog comes bouncing up to it. It's a warning...
I don't like how Laika is with other dogs but we deal with it. I used to get really upset but then my instructor gave me this article to read that made it all make a little more sense.
http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/forms/HE%20JUST%20WANTS%20TO%20SAY%20HI.pdf

She likes other dachshunds though :-) We just don't meet many at agility...

Mama S.
02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Genius trainer lady then shot her with water from a water bottle.
This is precisely why Sandi does NOT need to try and do any classes with the herd. Bond aint cheap.
GOOO RIGGERS!!:appl: :appl: you have Nana's permission to pee on da stoopid lady's foot next time:rotfl: You are such a good girl!!!
sandi

jenfer
02-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Yay for improvements! Every little step counts. Not to mention a boyfriend for Rigby. ;)

alfina
02-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Glad to hear she s improving. Isn't it the best encouragement to ontinue working with them.

Our agility instructor said that people stop coming to class when they do see improvement in their dog. Most of the time the lack of it s owner's fault though. Practice and practice!

Alex's Mom
02-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Yay Rigby!!! Such a good girl!! Alex HATES labs with an absolute passion (mind you, she ain't crazy about any dogs, but she saves her most :mad1: for goldens...her motto in all doggy relationships is chomp first, ask questions later!). :rayz: :rayz: for continued smartness...you show those big dumb ol' dogs how it's really done!

Alex's Mom
02-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I don't like how Laika is with other dogs but we deal with it. I used to get really upset but then my instructor gave me this article to read that made it all make a little more sense.
http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/forms/HE%20JUST%20WANTS%20TO%20SAY%20HI.pdf

This is a really terrific article!!! It's so true...once I started concentrating on how Alex was feeling in a situation, instead of worrying about what was going on around me, her interactions with people became much calmer (she was a real fear biter as a young dog). It's the same way with horses...if you're looking for problems, they're going to feed off that..."Hmmm, mom's up there really worried about something, guess I'd better be too!" But Alex has come such a long way over her lifetime (with people at least; unfortunately, she is just a totally anti-dog kinda girl *sigh*) to the point where I have no qualms about her in a group of people. I do still have to keep a beady eye on her, but have learned her warning signs, and when she's starting to get tense, I just remove her from the situation. Such a good girl! thanks so much for the article, Amy!

Rae
02-14-2006, 09:29 AM

yup, me too. What a lovely Valentine's Present THAT would have made! :rotfl:

isobelsmom
02-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Big :appl: :appl: for Miss Rigby!!!! Did that trainer even ask you or warn you she was going to blast dogs with water? Ya don't do that without the guardian's permission!

BTW, I thought she pooped too......would have been appropriate right on that trainers' shoes!

And thanks for that article link, Amy...great read. I saved it for future reference.

And again: :appl: :appl: for Rigby doing a wonderful job in class AND meeting a boyfriend. All in all, a good evening. Coulda done w/o the water tho...:scratch:

Jen
02-14-2006, 01:05 PM
:appl: :appl: :appl: Rigby! And she made friends with another doxie, wonderful!!

Tasha is a submissive pee-er with humans, not with other dogs though. She just runs away from other dogs. We are making progress with people, but she's just not a dog friendly dog.

Frzframe
02-14-2006, 09:59 PM
:cheer2: Way to go Rigby. Of course you needed to prove to her that you are a SMART girl. :)

JanUet
02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Casey was blasted with water at his first Petsmart Puppy class. He was barking, but he wasn't the only one....he was the only one that got sprayed tho.
I was not amused :mad2: . He hid under a chair and would not come out from under it. Not even for a treat! I disliked the trainer with such a passion even before she sprayed him.

We went to I think 3 classes ( correct me If i'm wrong Lisa)
We never returned until she called us WAY after the classes where finished to ask why we weren't there for Graduation. :duh:
I told her that we stopped going to classes long ago, as I was not comfortable with her training methods ( I chewed her a new one on the phone!):mad1:

I promptly called Lisa and Together we went back to Petsmart and got a FULL Refund! We shared our lack of enthusiasum with the trainer to the store manager and told him that we would NEVER return! :mad: