PDA

View Full Version : keeping a completely confined dog entertained?

meljoanimallover
02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
As you know, Reese is on crate confinement, since she injured her back. She is doing really good, and has a lot of balance back..but is still strictly confined for a few weeks. She is actually in a child's playpen, not a crate. She is BORED out of her mind! And is very anxious, and I can tell she wants out! She only gets out to potty, and if I am holding her in my lap, or shes sleeping on the bed (Completely supervised). She has a couple toys in there, but shes not the least bit interested in chewing them. I am going to the petstore tomorrow to get guinea pig food, and I plan on taking her with me (Putting her in a dog bag..lol, she will look like an accessory for the time being..I wonder how many comments I will get about how cruel I am!). So that should be entertaining for her, a change of scenery. Obviously she won't be allowed to walk.

Other than that, i don't know what to do to keep her calm and less anxious! We don't want to give her anything like Benadryl or any tranquilizer. We just want her to have something to do. I will probably go out and get her a kong with some peanut butter (or some other filling) and see if that keeps her busy. She won't even chew her favorite toy! (A nylabone fish chew).

She gets to see her pack mates everyday, and they can lay by each other..but as soon as she tries rough housing we put her back in her playpen. They are only allowed to cuddle together.

I let her look out the window at the dogs in the backyard, and she barks along with them. its only been 4 days, but shes so tired of being confined!

lotsadox
02-07-2009, 11:26 PM
I used Rescue Remedy with Bogart. I put it in his water and also directly in his mouth. I was talking to my vet the other day and she said that you could even put it in water and mist the crate area with it. It's good with anxiety and stress.

Alex's Mom
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Rescue Remedy is da bomb!! it worked really well with Alex. The other option might be to get a stroller like some on here have done and then she can be part of the action without being part of the action, so to speak :) What about a kong with treats in it? Would that help?

Frzframe
02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
When my gang have had to be confined to a creat they've been really good so I never had this problem. But, I would say some yummy treats (bones, rawhide) when you are going to be around might help.

meljoanimallover
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
My mom is thinking about getting a stroller, and I can take her along when I go to the dog park or wherever. I took her to Petsmart, and had her in a little bag..She enjoyed getting out of the house.

I am going to buy a kong, i don't think she will care much for it.

areese
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I put some peanut butter in the kong and froze it for Laika. Also got some marrow bones and froze them so they took longer to eat. I didn't want her chewing hard and pulling like on a rawhide plus I don't give rawhides unless I'm home keeping an eye on her but she liked the kong. After she ate the marrow out of bones I put some peanut butter in them and froze it too. Too many marrow bones can give them the runs, though.

ebmw1975
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Barkly has been in a stroller for 80% of the time since his back acted up. I was very fortunate to get it thru freecycle and it is almost brand new so it didnt costme a penny, just the gas to go get it. He seems to enjoy it and I push him thru the house with me and let him be able to see me. At night as he is so good about staying in bed I have his leash on him and I actually velcro it to my wrist so if he has to go potty it wakes me up and I get up with him, and if I have to leave then he goes in his crate. It works for us and if I am on the couch then he gets to be on my lap but if he wont settle down then back in the storoller. I too have been freezing treats to mka ehtem last longer Kongs as well as carrots.

meljoanimallover
02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
i bought her a kong, and put peanut butter in it. She licked it a little, but has completely no interest in them at all! And she won't chew her favorite nylabone fish chew either.