PDA

View Full Version : how does this trainer look?

Kerie
02-15-2006, 01:29 AM
We are considering some private sessions with this guy and want to know what you all think. Some of you have dealt with trainers before, some of you are trainers, so maybe you can tell me if I seem to be going in the right direction for my food/toy aggressive dachsie:

http://www.rickscanineworkshop.com/

Oscar has been a total doll lately, but I fear that we still need to make sure that he does not snap when I need to take something from him.

Also, my nephew LOVES Oscar, yet is totally afraid of him. He is so scared when he sees Oscar, yet he carries around pictures of Oscar and calls on the phone to ask about him. My nephew is 5 and he is like this with other dogs, too. I thought maybe he can come to a session to become comfortable.

K2
02-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Finding a trainer can be difficult. We tried a few before we found Susan~who is awesome. Just try him out and see if he's the one! Good luck!

areese
02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
What a great idea to have your nephew come a long for a lesson or two!

Jen
02-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I didn't see much info on their training philosophy...I'd defintely ask if you could go yourself and watch a training session first!

oceangirls
02-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Agree with Jen - I think I would watch a class first and see what you think... make sure you like their reinforcement and correction methods.

P.S. Kerie, I moved this from Medical Wellness to the training forum to make sure people with training expertise would see it. Hope that is okay with you.

Courtney
02-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I think it looks good from the site - I saw he mentioned the idea of training your dog based on mutal respect, which is great. But you probably need to watch a class too. They would probably love to have you do that!

Patt
02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Looks like a place to train your dog for CD, UD, UCD, CDX etc. What about specific behavior issues?

lotsadox
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I would definitely go a watch a couple of classes and ask the trainers questions. Try to find out how much they really know about canine behaviour. Some trainers know rote methods to train dogs, but not really that much about behavioural problems.

Taking you nephew would be a good idea, but don't take him to the first couple of sessions. They tend to be really chaotic with dogs barking and owners not knowing how to handle them. About halfway through things get more organized and that would be a great time to take him along. :banana:

Kerie
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
We found him through an obedience school that said that they do not handle bahvior problems, but this guy does. I'm going to talk to my husband about going together to see a class. Great idea, people!!!