PDA

View Full Version : Reese - you will be the death of me...

Jill
02-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I just don't know what to do with him. He's not eating much. I know he's feeling fine and he's no longer on the meds, so that's not the issue. Plain and simple, he's a brat! He is very very lazy in the morning. He'd be happy to just sleep until 11 I think. I get them up and we go straight outside for potty and then come in for breakfast. As I get it ready, Bailey patiently waits in his "settle" for the food and Reese just gets himself into his bed, under the covers. I've tried only offering him a little bit in the morning and then the rest at night, instead of half and half.

When he was sick and wasn't eating we would keep the food down longer, trying to get him to eat. And I even went so far as to feed him with a fork. :faint: But I've had it. If he doesn't want to eat, then fine. 15 minute rule is fully back in effect.

Another contributing factor to the reinforcement of the 15 minute rule is that Bailey is like a shark circling and circling and just waiting to go in for the kill on Reese's bowl. He's usually very very good about leaving it, but he LOVES the raw food. We've taken our eye off of him a few times and he's scoffed half of the food. :mad:

Anyway, rant over. We are partially to blame on this anyway.

Nancy
02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Plain and simple, he's a brat! He is very very lazy in the morning. He'd be happy to just sleep until 11 I think.

Now Jill! Is there really anything wrong with sleeping until 11!?!? :rotfl:

I'm sorry Bailey is being a pain in the butt. I think if you stick to the 15 minute rule, he'll come around!

Mama S.
02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh I so know how you feel. Oscar is a 2 ton tub of fun due to stealing food. Hershey looks like an Etheopian love child as he will let his food sit - no biggie then Osacr comes in and steals it. It's gotten to the point that I have to lock Hershey in his crate with his food to get him to eat - unless of course medallions are on the menu - then he's all ready for dinner time.
Sandi

Jill
02-15-2006, 09:59 AM
It's not harming Bailey any that he's eating extra food. He's a bit on the skinny side anyway. And Reese is certainly not starving by any means. He's just a bratty pants.

Jen
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear that Reese is being so picky! Maybe its a winter thing--he just wants to hybernate?

Yolanda
02-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Wait a minute Jill, "BrattyPants" is my nickname for Wetley. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I understand the 15 minute rule and use it also. He will be fine, give him a day or two of not getting enough and he will eat.

oceangirls
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree with the 15 minute rule! If his eating doesn't improve soon you can always check with the vet, but I bet he'll come around. The meds may have affected his appetite, too, and it might just be coming back.

Jill
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Yolanda - then I'll change his to Bratty McBratterson. :rotfl:

Courtney
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, maybe Reese only wants to eat once a day at night? A lot of times dogs will self-regulate like that.

Otto'sMom
02-15-2006, 12:43 PM
15 minutes...wow. I've yet to see the food last more than 30 seconds.

LUVMYGUNNER
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Like children--they will eat when they are hungry.

Bella's Mom
02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
:happy6: I agree with the 15 minute rule. He'll realize soon enough that you're not going to leave the food laying around all day. I'm glad Reese is feeling better and hope his "brattiness" improves soon. I sure know what that's like...

Frzframe
02-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Reese baby you need to eat. But, I agree he'll eat when he gets hungery. I have to put Ruby Roo in her crate in order so she'll eat her food. If not she just dances around and in come the sharks (Mitzi and Dudley).

Chrystyna
02-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Piper used to do that until we switched her food. I would get so upset when she wouldn't eat. I talked to my vet and he said if she doesn't eat it right when the bowl is put down then to just take it up and give it back to her when it's the next feeding time. Keep doing it until they realize that it's time to eat when the bowl is put down. There would be times Piper would miss 2 - 3 meals before deciding she was ready to eat.

We switched her to Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul and haven't had a problem since then. She LOVES that food and is usually the first one in line begging for her food. Tomorrow we're switching to raw, so hopefully she likes that just as much!