PDA

View Full Version : Car Travel

Auggie's Mom
02-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Auggie and I are driving up to Boston tomorrow night. We've done this a few times, and Auggie always gets car sick. I've tried not feeding him for a few hours before we leave, but that doesn't help. Any suggestions? I've heard that you can give them Children's Benadryl as a sedative and I'm considering that. I just want to make sure i don't give him too much. Thanks for your help.

Nancy
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
You could always stop off at Auntie Nancy's house and take a little break from all that driving! hint hint hint!

Molly would love the company! :cheer2:

Courtney
02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Any way you are able to boost him up where he can see out the window? I have heard that will help dogs who get carsick. The Lookout car seats are great. My local pet store sells them so maybe one in your area does.

otherwise, you would have to call your vet and ask about sedatives.

Patt
02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I would use Dramamine or a tranquilizer from the vet. Please get an okay and dosage from your vet before giving him anything for the trip. There is a way to make him a happy traveler so when you have more time I have links that can help you. Good luck and have a safe trip.

http://www.animed.org/dogs_car_sickness.htm

Auggie's Mom
02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't really have time to make it to the vet before we leave (it's a bit of a last-minute trip), so I think we'll just take our chances. Lots of fresh air and rest stops may do the trick.

Nancy-

Maybe we'll stop and see you on the way back Saturday evening. Send me a PM and we'll discuss!

:banana:

Bella's Mom
02-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I hope everything went well with the road trip!

lotsadox
02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I've given something called Pet Calm that seems to help. It's all natural and my vet says it's okay to give. You can get it at the health food store. Also Rescue Remedy might help. That's safe to give to dogs. Just put a few drops in their mouth.

Yolanda
02-16-2006, 12:28 PM
My little guy GOOSEMan get terriably car sick.

There are two things that help him the most. Being elevated so he can see out the window and limiting his water intake before the trip.

Goodluck and have a safe trip.

Jen
02-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Could you just call the Vet's office and ask to speak to someone about dramamine and what dosage to give? It would make him sleepy too. A sick dog is no fun! Hope it all works out and Auggie has a fun trip.