PDA

View Full Version : Molly's Obedience class

Nancy
02-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, Molly went to her first class night and did very well! I took some pix of her, but I can’t download them simply because the queen thought that eating the USB cord for the camera would be a smart thing. :shocked: ANYWAY!!

I’m trying really hard to get her to sit, and the trainer had some really good ideas, but she’s not getting it. Well, she is, but I have to bait her with treats. Don’t get me wrong, Molly does get treats but I don’t want to get her in the habit of doing things only when there are treats in my hand. And can someone tell me why she does so well in class, but when we went for our morning walk, she was back to her old self, pulling on the leash, walking zig zag!! ARGHGHGH! I know things take time, and I have to be patient, but my Schipperkes picked up training real quick!

On another note, she was a total hit, not only with the other dogs, but also with the trainer and other people in class. How can she not be, she’s the cutest thing on the planet! :angel7:

I am having a good time with her and the class is a lot of fun. I’m sure working with her a bit each night will really help; I just have to be more patient.

areese
02-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I’m trying really hard to get her to sit, and the trainer had some really good ideas, but she’s not getting it. Well, she is, but I have to bait her with treats. Don’t get me wrong, Molly does get treats but I don’t want to get her in the habit of doing things only when there are treats in my hand. And can someone tell me why she does so well in class, but when we went for our morning walk, she was back to her old self, pulling on the leash, walking zig zag!! ARGHGHGH! I know things take time, and I have to be patient, but my Schipperkes picked up training real quick!

I think it's ok to use treats for awhile. YOu can fade them gradually later. The most important thing is to have success and not frustrate her so if it takes treats, it's fine. Then you just use them less and then just periodically so she never knows if it's gonna happen or not.
Dogs don't tend to generalize well. So when she goes for walks with you at home, to her that is not the same as walking on a leash at class. She has to be shown that you always want her to walk nice on the leash no matter what the location. It's really weird to me that dogs are like that but I know it's true. I always do clicker with Owen at the edge of the kitchen. So he does all his little cute tricks there. I took him into the bedroom to show my husband his cool spin he learned and he can't do it there LOL. I gotta practice the tricks in various rooms now. I did agility with Laika inside at class and when she got up to competition level and moved outside for the summer-it was like she had never seen the equipment before in her life! They think differently than we do....

HotDogMama
02-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I think its great she is catching on already!! :appl: :appl: Ain't Molly's just the best?!?! :rotfl: I'm sure she will get the hang of everything, just be patient, and don't give up!

lotsadox
02-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm so glad Molly did so well. ITA with Amy, you have to train in different environments. For them class is not the walk at home and they don't automatically transfer the training over. Also dachshunds are not schipperkes. Dachshunds tend to be more independent and are not as easily trainable. It takes more work, but they do train well.

Giving treats to get them started with a good attitude is fine. Like Amy says, just phase them out after a while. I used treats with all of mine to get them started and now they obey with or without treats. You can also start making her sit to get her meals. That reinforces the training without adding extra treats to the diet. As she progresses you can make her do other commands for her food. Sometimes I make mine sit, sometimes down. It keeps the commands fresh in their minds that way.

Jill
02-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Patience. That's the key. Make sure to change things up a bit and do your homework in different rooms of the house even. Gradually fade the treat, but I think it's too early at this point to do that yet. If you want to though, try to treat every other time and then every 2 times etc. When you don't treat, make sure to give lots of praise! There will be times when she will just be bored with the training. Just walk away and start another session later on.

Like Patrice suggested, try incorporating the commands into things you do already. Sitting and waiting for her food, if you give a potty treat, make sure to have her sit or down before you give it to her etc. Also, all you need is a tiny piece of treat. One thing our trainer suggested was using a different, special treat for training sessions.

Patience and consistency and she'll get it!

Doxies have minds of their own. They know they're cute and use it to their full advantage. :rotfl:

Nancy
02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Doxies have minds of their own. They know they're cute and use it to their full advantage. :rotfl:

you got that right! she went over to a lab in class barked at her and the lab bapped her in the nose! Molly then runs over to me and gives me the "mom, did you see that look" and I just looked at her and said "you deserved it, no sympathy from me" the trainer was laughing!

areese
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM

Don't they though??? I swear Laika knows she's funny and likes to make people laugh. One of our agility instructors tends to go on and on. And we all wanna go out and RUN. So when he's talking, she'll get out as far as her leash will allow and sits out in front, facing the class, between us and the instructor and she'll make her eyebrows go up and down until everyone is laughing or she'll throw herself down dramatically with a huge sigh as if to say will he EVER stop...

JanUet
02-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Patience is the key! I still run my 2 thru their training at home.(sit, stand, lay down, give paw, bang your dead, dance, etc) They must sit before they are given any meals. To them it is automatic now, I see them sit as I take their bowls off the counter. I praise them with touch.(usually stroking their backs or their heads)
I try to spend an hour with them every night. Whether it be training or playing. I enjoy the time just as much as they do. I did start to give treats for everything. Now, I will only give a treat if the task is done properly. *Casey gets upset and demands his treat, maybe cuz he knows he has done his trick properly and I am just not giving him the treat*:rotfl:

The important thing is to have FUN! I don't let my 2 think that I am running a training camp. If they get it ~Great! If not...there is always tomorrow!

Sounds like Molly will be the Teacher's Pet

jenfer
02-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Agree with everyone. Patience is the key. At the beginning you want to use treats and then fading it gradually. And you want to train in different places too. Being to walk nicely in 1 place will be totally different in another area. It's a totally different perspective for the pup. Good luck and have fun. :)

isobelsmom
02-16-2006, 08:26 PM
In training, I always tell my clients about the "Rule of Three." It's suggested that in order to begin the "cementing" process of a command that you take your dog to and practice in a minimum of three different places. I usually do four: training center (if being used, as in an outside obedience class), a PetSmart or another like it, the home/yard, and a park/walks. This way, the dog learns that no matter where s/he is, s/he has to obey. It works wonderfully.

As for the snackies as lures: I use them and suggest to my clients to use them and taper off as explained above. Also, sitting for feedings, before and after play time and ALWAYS before and after attention. It helps with the alpha role for hoomans too.

I also suggest that the snacks used for training be used ONLY for training. I make my own out of beef liver. I boil it and then bake it about 10 mins on 350 degrees to get out the excess moisture, then cut it into tiny bite-sized pieces. Keep it in the frig. The excess (if I have to smell that icky smell, I'm going to make a darn big batch!) and then I freeze the rest for later use or to give away. Chicken livers work ok too. I prefer the beef as it's more durable/potent.

Hope this helps and yes, dachsies are very stubborn...and fun to try and outwit, too! Good luck and have fun with Miss Molly. :boogie:

Patt
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
If they get it ~Great! If not...there is always tomorrow!

Great attitude. :appl: :appl:

Anatresia
02-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm glad she's doing well.

I thought all dachsies only follow directions if you have food- that's the unspoken rule they have, and they all know it- "we don't work for free.":rotfl: