PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

LUVMYGUNNER
04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Gunner when he walks since he is off crate rest walks a little hunched...is this natural? I heard it goes away once he heals better.

Lisa
04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes! Pogo hunches and then stretches out after a couple of hours.

lotsadox
04-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I think that is quite normal. Amanda and Bandit were both hump backed for a while. It did seem to go away though.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
My first thought was surgery again....I don't want to go thru that again.:crossfin:

areese
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I've seen quite a few posts on dodger's list about that. They all say that it does happen and that it generally goes away with time. Laika is not hunched at all and never was but she is a bit stiff when she first gets up. She seems to stretch a lot now in the mornings. Do you know how to stretch Gunner??

LUVMYGUNNER
04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Gunner seems to stretch a lot by himself. I'm just worried that we did something wrong.
Do you know how to stretch them?

areese
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah...I stretch them before agility and if Laika seems stiff....but it might be better to ask your vet about it first...

Yolanda
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
The hunched back is something that happens a lot after surgery and normally goes away over time. Gentle stretching and massages will help.

As with every aspect of IVDD some things just takes longer. Not all dogs heal perfectly but they are happy no matter.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Yolanda--I just worry that we didn't carry him right. He's a happy little guy pestering Petunia. :)

Patt
04-13-2009, 12:28 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that Gunner's hunched back goes away soon. :crossfin:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Just thought I would update this..
While Gunner's recoup took a little longer... his back is ok and his weight is down to 9 1/2 lbs...he is playing frisbee a lot again-but I don't let him over do it...His back only arches when he has some pain.... which is not often...

areese
08-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Glad he is doing so well!
how much did he weigh before?

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Gunner weight 14 lbs when he went down, then we did a week of crate rest and he was only on prednisone.... when we went in for a check and to start the adequan, he was doing realy well and they wanted to X-rayed him... and for some reason when he came out... he could not stand at all, and he went down hill from there. When we went to the neuro's and they weight him... he was a little over 16 lbs...
He is doing realy good since I put him on Honest Kitchen...they only get one snack a day...
Thanks for being there Amy---I read thru some of the old post---what a bad time.

areese
08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
WOW. He lost a lot of weight...he has to be sooo much healthier now!!!!!!! it will be so much better for his back in the long run, too!!!!

Gunner weight 14 lbs when he went down, then we did a week of crate rest and he was only on prednisone.... when we went in for a check and to start the adequan, he was doing realy well and they wanted to X-rayed him... and for some reason when he came out... he could not stand at all, and he went down hill from there. When we went to the neuro's and they weight him... he was a little over 16 lbs...
He is doing realy good since I put him on Honest Kitchen...they only get one snack a day...
Thanks for being there Amy---I read thru some of the old post---what a bad time.

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I need to get Petunia down also...she is at 13 put would like her down to about at least 10--she is not as active as Gunner---she is a couch potatoe...Gunner looks almost skinny but I don't want to get him to heavy....I also restricted hubby from feeding or giving snacks to them, since Gunners surgery...I am the only one that gets to feed, and give snacks, so I know what they get.