PDA

View Full Version : I am so pissed...

BethMH
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Today, coming home from picking up the kids at school - my daughter notices a golden retriever walking on a busy road just outside of our neighborhood. I turn around and am able to corral the dog with my car back into the neighborhood. He was obviously someone's pet. He had on a collar and a tag. I keep bones in the car for this very reason (sad story behind how I came up with this idea). Once back in the neighborhood, I throw a bone out the window and he comes and eats it. I show him I have more bones - trying to get him to come to me. I open the door and am talking to him when a car pulls up and the driver opens her window. I ask if she has seen the dog before. She says yes - it belongs to them - and she points at the house across from where I am stopped. Their garage is wide open. She tells me the dog gets out all of the time - is left outside a lot - and has even been left outside in the freezing cold rain and snow (when we've actually had that here in N. Tx.). She said she is a dog lover, has dogs of her own, and it breaks her heart that they let this dog run.

While talking to her, the owner comes out into the garage. The lady who had stopped, tells her I found the dog out on the main street. Now, I'm pissed. So I tell the lady that her dog is going to get killed if it is allowed to run out in the street like that. She said - well, he ran off while I was putting groceries in the house. I wanted to say - you dumb a**, close your garage and he won't get out. Did she thank me for saving her dog - no! The lady who stopped to talk to me said thank you. She was so very appreciative. She was glad I cared enough to stop and assist the dog in finding his home.

Our monthly neighborhood meeting happens to have on the agenda this month the topic of animal control and the leash law. I am sure these people won't be attending this meeting. They have been very good neighbors. I don't know them personally, but they have lived here a while and have done a lot of good things for the neighborhood. But I am absolutely pissed beyond pissed that they let their dog roam like this. Their house backs up to this main street. We don't have a ton of traffic on it, but it is a main entrance in and out of this neighborhood.

I just cannot let this go either. I feel like writing her a letter, stating the leash law, and telling her that if I see her dog out on the street again, I am going to take him and call animal control. I believe the neighbors have reported them already.

I need some advice from you all. What would you do? Anything? I am just so pissed! To be so noncaring or concerned. UGH!

Goob
02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
SOunds like they are very irresponsible parents to that dog. I think I would write a letter to them stating what you just told us. If they have a problem with it, then they need to take better care with their dog. Thanks for caring Beth. :appl:

Helen
02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
:( Good thing that lady came along on previous occasions, and you were there this time.

I think writing them a letter is a good idea. I found this website for Fort Worth, maybe it will help: Fort Worth Animal Control Laws (http://www.fortworthgov.org/health/AC/laws.asp)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Patt
02-17-2006, 08:18 PM
On the Fort Worth AC site Helen just posted, it states "if you are exeriencing problems with stray dogs & cats in your neighborhood etc etc....to call or e-mail them". I think I would give them a call and see what they suggest. If these people have ignored others about keeping their dog confined to their yard I doubt she would appreicate a letter from you. Who knows I may be all wrong but I wish you lots of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Michelle
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I agree that they are very irresponsible pet owners, I would never think of doing something so stupid knowing that the dog gets out so easily. They are not true animal lovers. Those of us that truly love our animals always have their best interest at heart. Yes accidents happen and dogs can escape yards, but these people seem so nonchalant about it, like it is no big deal..

I would keep an eye on them and report them the next time it happens.

they don't deserve to own that dog, he should be taken away from them permanently the next time it happens and should be given to a responsible family that will care for him and love him ..

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-17-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree that they are very irresponsible pet owners, I would never think of doing something so stupid knowing that the dog gets out so easily. They are not true animal lovers. Those of us that truly love our animals always have their best interest at heart. Yes accidents happen and dogs can escape yards, but these people seem so nonchalant about it, like it is no big deal..

I would keep an eye on them and report them the next time it happens.

they don't deserve to own that dog, he should be taken away from them permanently the next time it happens and should be given to a responsible family that will care for him and love him ..

ITA it' s sad when you see people letting thier pets wander around like that.
I know how you feel :mad: esp. when they act like you are bothering them!

Jacqueline
02-18-2006, 12:48 AM
If you find the dog out again, I would not bother returning it to her. She obviously does not care about it. In the meantime, I would talk to the neighborhood association, and see if they can't do a mailing or include in the newsletter, if there is one, a reminder that there is a leash law, and that anyone violating it will be reported.

Call the local animal control and ask for their advise. Suggest to the neighbor across from them that if she sees the dog out under dangerous or neglectful conditions, she get a photo. My animal control told me to get photos of the unleashed free running dogs around here, because it helps them make a case against the owners. {Not to mention protects me if I happen to shoot a certain vicious dog}

I know how mad you must be. I personally want to throttle the idiots I see who put their animals uncaged and unrestrained in the back of open pickups and then drive 50 mph down the road. Keep us posted.

Jen
02-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree, get photographic evidence if you can. Its infuriating when people claim to be animal lovers, yet endanger them needlessly!

JanUet
02-18-2006, 11:52 AM
I would have been furious! :mad1: :mad2: You handled it better than I would have!

Nancy
02-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Personally, if I saw the same dog out on the street again, I'd take him/her home. Those people obviously are clueless on how to take care of a family member. Jerks. Good for you for not giving her a few "choice" words. :mad:

Mama S.
02-22-2006, 12:01 PM
No you are not being stupid, you are not being dumb! After watching in horror as a puppy was hit and killed outside my office I'm even more up on leash laws. You did a great thing! some people are just idiots!
Sandi