PDA

View Full Version : Too much info!!

Kasianni
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
The more I read about vaccinations for the dogs the more confused I get. Some say vaccinations are important some say we over vaccinated. I don't know what to do. Patt had posted info from the AAHA, and it says that puppies should have the series of shots and then the 12 month booster and then after that every 3 years!! Well Theo had his puppy shots and on Monday he is suppose to go for his 12 month boosters, which I am okay with. I however am not sure about Mika, she had her 12 month shots last year and had 2 bumps at each injection site, which I was told after the fact that it was a reaction. I love my vet, but his secretary I don't like to much when I call with a concern, she tries to answer it for me and even though she has been there for years, she is not a vet nor is she a vet tech. When I found the bumps last year, she said oh its okay its normal. I had asked her to have the vet call me but he didn't so I know the message never got through to him. When I did tell him about the bumps he said good thing I told him so that next time she has vaccinations she can have a benedryl shot prior to the vaccination.
I also read not to give the booster shots at same time as rabies shot, why is this anyone know? So what is bothering me is weather or not I give Mika a booster or not. If she has a benedryl shot before the booster, does that mean that she won't have a reaction at all? I am not sure how it works. I know he listens to me and my concerns, about the lepto, he won't give one especially to Mika since she did have a reaction to the booster last year but when I asked him last year if they really need shots every year he said yes because dogs age faster then we do. Okay but what about all this info I am reading??!? To do or not to do is my worry right now. And does the benedryl really stop reactions if I do decide to get a booster for her. Oh I forgot to add this in..April 30th last year, they had to have a blood test to check for HW before the vet would give me the treatments for the next 6 months. Of course they both tested negative and I started the Revolution May 15th to October 15th. I called for the annual check up which is on Monday and asked if they needed another blood test to make sure they are okay before starting revolution again and she said no, they were tested last April and its every two years, does this sound right?

areese
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I personally would not get her shots every year, but every 3.
Even my pretty old-fashioned country vet here has gone with the 3 year protocol.
Not getting the rabies at the same time as the other gives you less chance of a reaction.
I was titering and would recommend them but Laika's showed no immunity every year so I paid for titers and shots...and I did a lot of reading on them and talked to a person who is quite knowledeable on the topic and they don't mean a lot....certainly if they show sufficient immunity you can not get vaccinations but if they don't...that also doesn't mean your dog isn't immune.
But since Phizer guarantees their vaccinations for 3 years I'm going to go with that...my dogs are around other dogs at agility and class. When they get older...I will re-think it all.

Patt
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
After the series of pup boosters I do titers for distemper/Parvo instead of vaccinating.

Some people believe in getting the vaccines separately, I've never done that. If you would feel better doing it that way than go for it. Benedryl beforehand keeps them from having reactions. Like anything else in life though nothing is 100% guarantee.

If Mika were my dog I would do a titer. If it shows she needs vaccinating than I would have the vet give her an injection of Benedryl before doing so. JMHO!!

I wish you the very best in your decision. :hug99: