PDA

View Full Version : Multimillion dollar law suit against Greenies

Loren
12-07-2005, 08:41 AM
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/5480488/detail.html

Can't say I blame the dachsie's owner. I'd do the same. I'm surprised that the makers of Greenies don't have a disclaimer on their website or are at least recalling the product and reformulating them.

lotsadox
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I've heard of greenies problems before. I don't feed them to my crew because they practically swallow them whole which doesn't do much to clean their teeth anyway and the first time I gave them greenies I found big green chunks in everyones potty! I'm glad that I decided then not to feed them anymore.

Loren
12-07-2005, 09:15 AM
but then I found out that Chief has an intolerance to wheat..so I stopped. Glad I did....

Jen
12-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey, its the NY man who filed suit. That does not surprise me. I stopped feeding greenies for the same reason you did Loren, the wheat, but I'm so glad I did!

Loren
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Yep..it's the NYC man with the dachsie who filed suit. Kudos to him I say!

Jen
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Indeed. He's been very active getting the word out about the dangers of greenies, and from what I read their responses to him were not satisfactory.

I mean, ok, any chewey CAN be a danger to a dog if unsupervised. But it seems like, with the number of reported problems with greenies, they should have reevaluated their product long ago!

Loren
12-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Yep...All you have to do is google "dangers and greenies" and boy you get a LOT of hits. Not just small dogs have been effected. They should have a class action suit really.

blueyezz74
12-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Harley never really liked greenies. I'm so glad...

squirrel818
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Everytime I've ever given a greenie weenie vomits. The first time it happened he vomited 10 times in 30 minutes. I found big chunks of undigested greenie in his vomit. So I stopped giving them to my pups. I feel so bad for little Burts peopke. I hope they win!

LUVMYGUNNER
12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
That is so sad--they sounded like very carring people. It costs a lot of money to file a suit like that-so I hope they win.

Patt
12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I think this gentleman has been on a few boards spreading the word. Ever since then I quit feeding Greenies even though Greenie is a big fave of Trixie's. :thanx: for posting that link Loren.

Anatresia
12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
My friend's dog literally ate one greenie a day for six years- she loved them- and after reading about this guy's suit, she stopped giving them to her immediately!

Jacqueline
12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
They should have to post warnings in the stores. After all , they have all these signs EVERYWHERE to wash your hands every time you handle rawhides. (Yeah, I gave that up....let the bacteria fight me). They should have to at least put up signs saying MAY BE HAZARDOUS, etc.

I was telling a woman at Pet Supermarket about the news video, and she said she would never feed her pups them again.

Fluffy
12-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I am not the least bit surprised its who it is that has filed the law suit. After reading his post on another board, I had a feeling this was coming. They seemed like such sweet and loving hooparents and completely devastated by the loss of their dachsie. I IMMEDIATELY stopped giving my crew greenies, as did my sister. I saw a lady buying them tonight at Petsmart and I wanted to knock the box out of her hand and tell her why...didn't think that the Petsmart people would like that so I felt kind of stuck standing there watching her buy them. I tried to get out to the parking lot fast enough to say somethign but they were gone by the time I got out there :(

Linus
12-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Bailey used to love greenies, but thankfully he began turning up his nose at them last Christmas. I am really glad now!

Loren
12-08-2005, 10:41 AM
cause I didn't have his email addy....and stated my support for him, told him I'm a fellow NYer, would have done the same and told him if I could do anything for him whether to help his cause or just an open ear to give me a holler. Haven't heard back.. Oh well...

jenfer
12-08-2005, 12:41 PM
should i be concern? gigi loves her greenie and i use greenie bit in her kong. :confused: :confused: :confused:
she only gets a teenie sized greenie a few times a week and greenie bits in her kong whenever she stayed home alone.

Loren
12-08-2005, 06:10 PM
http://www.burtscause.com/

oceangirls
12-08-2005, 06:46 PM
should i be concern? gigi loves her greenie and i use greenie bit in her kong. :confused: :confused: :confused:
she only gets a teenie sized greenie a few times a week and greenie bits in her kong whenever she stayed home alone.

Jennifer, I would read the items posted here and maybe Google Greenies and dangers (as mentioned below), and then decide what you're comfortable with. With mine, the benefits did not justify the risks - they liked them, but there are other chews they like as well... and they ate them so fast we were not getting any teeth cleaning benefits. So the reports of problems helped me make a decision not to give them. But there are probably millions of people who never have a problem. :confused:

I do continue to give CET chews and compressed rawhide (also can be dangerous treats) - with very close supervision.

Loren
12-09-2005, 08:23 AM
was in the news

http://wcbstv.com/pets/local_story_342181805.html

jenfer
12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
thanks for the link. i guess if something gonna happen it could be *anything*. gigi does not swallow it in 2 seconds. i actually watched her chewing it and stuff, but i guess i will keep an eye and then decide it then. :) thanks again.

Patt
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
:thanx: for the link. If you have any second thoughts on Greenies... Read the second paragraph that says it all.

jenfer
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
:thanx: for the link. If you have any second thoughts on Greenies... Read the second paragraph that says it all.

i actually READ that paragraph this time. ;) hmm... i guess i will have to do something with the greenies i have now. hmm...

Leony
01-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the info!

Otto'sMom
01-04-2007, 08:21 AM
They've changed the formula now to a softer more digestible (their words not mine) recipe. My dogs are still enjoying them and have never suffered any ill effects, except that they are still so danged expensive.

Tex
01-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I heard about Burt before I ever tried giving greenies to my two, and I just don't risk it. I tried CET chews, but Julie has the tendency to get them all mushy and then try to eat them whole!!! So we're stuck with just brushing for the teeth. Thank you to all of those who posted links. I think everybody has the right to make their own decision, and for Burt's sake, I hope his hoomans win!

LUVMYGUNNER
01-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Gunner and Petunia never had a problem with them either but I did stop buying them.

Otto'sMom
01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I've bought the new formula, and they are more pliable. They're designed to have breaks in them, and proper size for your dog is important. One thing pointed out on one of the websites was that "why are you giving your carniverous dog [actually they're omnivores] something made mostly of grains?"
It's cheaper just to throw my herd a chicken leg, although not as neat.
And I'd like to know where the lawsuit stands. All the info I can find is from early last year.

catstamm
01-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow that is so sad ...but 5 million????? only in america.

LexieLuvr
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
My vet even recommends them for teeth cleaning - but I refuse to buy anything that might even remotely be dangerous to my furkids. Why take the chance? Mine loved them, too, a LOT - but they aren't allowed in my house any more.

P. S. Lawsuits often ask for a LOT of money (i.e., $5 million) but usually settle for a lot less. It's often just an attention-getter. If it's a class action, however, it could end up being that much! (What price would you put on your dog?)