PDA

View Full Version : Question on vaccines (long-sorry)

areese
02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Laika had a bad reaction to her DLHP booster last year. The vet said it prob. was the lepto part but I don't know how they would know that for sure.
So I had her titers done this year. A lot of my dog people friends have this done and their dogs haven't needed vaccinations in years. And some vets only recommend every 3 year boosters....
But ANYWAY I got her report yesterday and she has less than the safe amount of immunity to lepto and parvo, a huge amount of antibodies to the adenovirus thing, and a good level for distemper antibodies.
Now I don't know what to do. I have her scheduled to get a booster without the lepto tomorrow afternoon. My vet said they don't have just the parvo booster. So I gotta get all three. She also said she wouldn't get the lepto if Laika was hers as the chances of getting that are low. But I worry cuz we live out in the country and Laika kills mice sometimes...the tech there said she hadn't seen a case in 15 years though (and the clientel is overwhelmingly farm/country people-no cities out here :) ) She said actually it's more common in cities...but I still worry.
I was supposed to go to a Detroit area doxie meet-up today but now I'm afraid to cuz it's in Petco and what if a customer had been in with a sick dog or had a sick dog at home?? Is that total paranoia??
And what else scares me is that if my vet only required a booster every 3 eyars, I wouldn't even know my dog wasn't protected against parvo.

JanUet
02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I can relate...........When Casey got his vaccines (his first set) he had a very bad reaction to the Lepto. I was not warned about the recation he could get. I took him home and an hour later he was itchy all over, poor guy didn't know where to scratch first, he then thru up :vomit: several times and his little face was all swollen.
I was freaking out! :shocked: I called the Vet and they said to monitor him and if thngs get worse to bring him back in. I was fuming! :mad2: If things got worse :faint:

He got thru it okay, but I was a wreck! I have informed my vet that he is not to get the Lepto shot ever again!!!!!! We don't live near any wildlife, so there is no need for it.
Now, when he gets his shots.....I stay at the vet office for an hour...just incase

alfina
02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Dachshunds are know to have reaction to lepto vaccine. If you vet says it is safe to not give it to her, then I'd certainly not give t to her. Allergic reactions can be fatal.

areese
02-19-2006, 12:00 PM
He got thru it okay, but I was a wreck! I have informed my vet that he is not to get the Lepto shot ever again!!!!!! We don't live near any wildlife, so there is no need for it.
Now, when he gets his shots.....I stay at the vet office for an hour...just incase

I"m going to stay at the vet for awhile even though I'm not getting the lepto. Just in case. Lat time, about 5 minutes after I got home (we are about 10 minutes from the vet) her face started swelling so fast I could see it happening. Red slpotches on her belly and her ears were bright red. Scared me SO bad I drove back to the vet like a maniac. I'm so afraid it would be worse this time...
LOL...I was handling it all so well but then the vet said they wanted to keep Laika for a few hours and at the words "keep her here" I almost fainted. The vet said SIT DOWN! We don't HAVE to keep her!! ( I did leave her there for a few hours...must have been the shock of it all LOL)

lotsadox
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
As most of you know, I do holistic veterinary with my dogs. The only thing I vaccinate for is rabies. I believe in keeping their immune systems as healthy as possible with supplements. Granted my dogs are low risk. They don't have a lot of exposure, but I do take them to Petco/Petsmart and the park. I have had a dog vaccinated for anything except rabies in over 10 years with no problems. My vet (and a lot of other vets) are starting to believe that vaccinations in dogs are no different than humans. We don't have boosters on our vaccinations after the first few years and don't get the diseases. Dogs aren't that much different in that respect.

Patt
02-19-2006, 11:59 PM
My vet does not give Lepto to small dogs. I would definitely skip Lepto and go with your vets recommendation on DHPP. Trixie is 4 yo and her last titer showed she needed boosters, she had DHPP with no problems. Since your dogs travel to meets etc I believe it would be best that they are vaccinated.

Here are some FAQ's on Parvo.
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Alex's Mom
02-20-2006, 08:27 AM
I've been really lucky with my guys, and they never had any kind of reaction to vaccinations. Having said that, my horse has had one on occasion, and I know how frightening it can be!! It's such a fine line, isn't it...especially if you mingle with other dogs. Years ago, when Maxe was around 9, an old vet who's knowledge I respect very very much told me that as long a dog has had the appropriate vaccines as a puppy, and they've been kept up to date through its youth and middle age (i.e., up to about 7), at whatever the protocols are (and yes, they do seem to be changing, don't they! I really like the titre idea), then they don't need to be vaccinated after that, except perhaps for rabies if it's really prevalent in your area (We're lucky here in Nova Scotia...up until about 6 years ago there was NO rabies in the province, and there still hasn't been a case in domestic animals found.) So neither Alex nor Maxe were vaccinated after the age of 9. Especially since apart from when we go to the vet, Alex is never around other dogs. But I'd probably not bother with the lepto if the incidence rate isn't high in your area. Parvo is such a serious disease though, that I'd probably get that one, cuz it's so highly contagious. (My 2 cents, for what it's worth!:rotfl: )

areese
02-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks muchly for your responses. I for sure would just get her parvo booster but of course, no one in the area has JUST the parvo. I guess I'll just have to get the the DHPP. I could order it (single dose parvo) myself but the overnight shipping cost is prohibitive and Rob (DH) had a fit over it....
It's funny... if she hadn't had that reaction I'd be getting her boosters every year and not thinking much about it. I had my old dog, Kerby's, done every year and she lived to be 16 and very healthy and I never thought twice about it. Most of the agility people I know stop getting the boosters when their dogs get older....I'll prob. do the same.
thanks again :)