PDA

View Full Version : Hang time

Kerie
06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
So, we know what counter surfing is and that lots of dachsies do it. Anyone else's dachsie have hang time? My husband had to explain it to me. He says that Oscar has hang time in the air when he jumps up to steal food. He explained that Michael Jordan is famous for his hang time because he looked like he was just hanging out in mid air as he made a basket. Oscar really does look like that.

Lisa
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Pretzel is the only one with hang time in our house hold. I know exactly what you mean, like it takes a few extra seconds for gravity to kick in.

Otto'sMom
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
None of mine jump like that, strangely enough. Alec was trying to when his toy got stuck in the tree, and he was pretty lame at it. No one jumps, they manuver chairs, manipulate me and levitate to get what they want.

vferraro99
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
None of mine jump like that, strangely enough. Alec was trying to when his toy got stuck in the tree, and he was pretty lame at it. No one jumps, they manuver chairs, manipulate me and levitate to get what they want.

Same here. I'm glad they don't, though...

Barb
06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
My only maniac jumper is Toby. Sometimes I think he comes from jack russell stock :D
In the kitchen, he very quietly sits until I tell him to crate up.....he is just a maniac when he is excited to see someone !

Kerie
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
My only maniac jumper is Toby. Sometimes I think he comes from jack russell stock :D
In the kitchen, he very quietly sits until I tell him to crate up.....he is just a maniac when he is excited to see someone !

Well, I think that my in laws Jack Russel has springs. He and Oscar are similar in the jumping but I don't think Mugzy (awesome Jack Russel name!) has hang time. He will just jump many times very quickly. Before he got older he got some good height, just not with hang time. I think Oscar is more effiecnt, though. For example, he knows when he needs to take a running start but I don't think that ever clicked for Mugzy!!

Jen
06-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I think we need a video to illustrate Oscar's hang time!

Kerie
06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I think we need a video to illustrate Oscar's hang time!

Oh, imagine if I could edit alternating scenes or make side by side footage with him and Michael Jordan doing similar jumps! We can definitely try to get this on video. He does try to sneak but we have seen it a million times anyway.

KansasDoxieMama
06-24-2009, 12:28 AM
both of my boys do. Jazmine doesn't. Both boys know how to beg and then usually do the hang time, spring jump at the end.:cheer3: :cheer3:

Also all three love to do doxie dashes. Around my mom's 10ft bar then figure 8 it into the livingroom. THeir beagle tries, but always slams into the oven at the turn........its hillarious.........:rotfl:

daisys
06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
so far the dogs don't have any hang time, but they are young. the cats however, can climb walls and I am not joking in the slightest.

ok, try to get the visual: we have a large archway separating the dining room/living room area. The ceiling is on a slant, taller at on end that the other and the top of the arch is open, I have plants up there and it's our cats favorite place to hide out.

Now, there are two ways to get up there, either from the top of my desk in the dining room (about 3-1/2 feet up) OR, the back of the TV on the opposite side in the living room (about 5-1/2 feet STRAIGHT up, no backing up or anything).

They use both. Pipes is best at it and does it with utter grace. She stands on the back side of the TV, where the tube would be and (now I have watched this hundreds of times and it is lightening fast!) jumps straight up,, touching all 4 paws to the side of the wall and instantly re-stretches her front paws to get an extra reach to get to the top of the arch. It's really quite amazing. Recently Bit has learned how to do it, but she is less graceful and usually has to haul her rear up.

is that considered hang time?

Kerie
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
so far the dogs don't have any hang time, but they are young. the cats however, can climb walls and I am not joking in the slightest.

ok, try to get the visual: we have a large archway separating the dining room/living room area. The ceiling is on a slant, taller at on end that the other and the top of the arch is open, I have plants up there and it's our cats favorite place to hide out.

Now, there are two ways to get up there, either from the top of my desk in the dining room (about 3-1/2 feet up) OR, the back of the TV on the opposite side in the living room (about 5-1/2 feet STRAIGHT up, no backing up or anything).

They use both. Pipes is best at it and does it with utter grace. She stands on the back side of the TV, where the tube would be and (now I have watched this hundreds of times and it is lightening fast!) jumps straight up,, touching all 4 paws to the side of the wall and instantly re-stretches her front paws to get an extra reach to get to the top of the arch. It's really quite amazing. Recently Bit has learned how to do it, but she is less graceful and usually has to haul her rear up.

is that considered hang time?

I think it is. I have very little cat experience but I would say that if it looks like hang time then it is. The whole Michael Jordan thing was all about how he looked in the air!!