PDA

View Full Version : Not good news - need rayz - RAYZ WORKED! Update #16

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Jewels is down again. I don't know how it happened, she was very wonky when I picked her up at the vet yesterday and for that reason I thought it normal that she just flopped and stayed wherever I put her. I noticed she wasn't walking when she went to see what my husband was doing when he got home, but again thought nothing of it.

She woke up at 12:30 a.m. crying and whining. I gave her Rimadyl thinking pain from her tooth, but she did not sleep again (neither did any of us) until about 2:45. She woke me up again at 3:40 a.m., again whining. I tried to ignore her (it could not be pain) and we slept until 4:15 when she started again. That's when I noticed that her back legs don't respond at all.

I'm devastated, but placed her on the crate and am looking for a neurologist to take her ASAP. I'll keep you posted, but we need all the rayz we can get.

Lisa
07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Oh no Vicki, I am so so sorry. Lots of rayz for her. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Please keep us updated. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Barb
07-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Massive :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: on the way.... :hug99: for a worried mommy - please let us know -

lotsadox
07-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Oh, Vicky, I"m so sorry. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Please do keep us updated.

Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Rileybugg
07-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Lots of rays...lots of hugs...lots of finger and paw crossing...thinking positive thoughts for your baby...

TheDoxieHaus
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Jewels and Mom!

Yolanda
07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Get her on strict crate rest and then to a vets ASAP. There is a good possiability it is just from the "being on her back and pressure from the dental".

The same sort of thing happened to my Phoenix (also wobbly) and he eventually recovered with meds and crate rest.

Lots of :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

mistyleemom
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
hope she soon gets better

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I called the neurologist's office (don't open until 9 am) and am waiting for a call back. I've also applied for CareCredit - with all the expenses I've had with Leonardo and her with these dentals lately I can't overuse my credit card. I'm hoping against hope that she'll not need surgery, but we all know better.

She's the same, very quiet in the crate, with very few episodes of whining while looking for me. I tried to see if her legs have any reaction at all, and her right leg offers a tiny little bit of resistance (maybe me being too hopeful?). I'm so tired from not sleeping well, I don't think this has hit me full blast yet.

Another thing: she has not been able to poop much, just a few little poops, and only after expressing her, but I know there's more in there, which is not coming out. Poor baby, I feel horrible because she's suffered so much already... she does NOT deserve this.

P.S.: Phone rang, Neuro's office. They'll see her at 11:15 this morning. No more food, no more meds. doG help us!

Yolanda
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Keep us posted on my precious little girl. She is a fighter and always have been.

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't worry, Yo, I will. She's so quiet in the crate, it's unbelievable. She was never crated before, always slept in the big bed, always had the run of the family room/kitchen and backyard. I've never seen her this quiet, and that is killing me.

I'll e-mail my boss to let him know I'll maybe need to take next week off, just in case.

oceangirls
07-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Sending lots of rayz for you and Jewels, Vicki!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: I am sorry :(

Azaren
07-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Many many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Jewels and :hug99: :hug99: for you.

I know all too well what you're feeling right now...and the lack of sleep makes it worse. I'll be thinking about you guys today.

LUVMYGUNNER
07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Here are rays for your little one. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jacqueline
07-03-2009, 03:58 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: coming and prayers already sent. Poor little baby.

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I have wonderful news: Jewels is back walking, wobbly as she does, but she's walking!! It was anesthesia related. It depresses the nervous system, and she's almost 12 years old. Three years ago did not hit her like this, but it did this time, most probably because she's older. I can only tell you that this is the last dental she'll have, I'm not going through this again:shocked:

I have to thank you all so much for all the rayz and prayers. I'm sure that was the key to me not having a stroke. I had a huge headache, but as soon as the vet put her on the floor and she started wobbly walking I cried like a baby and the headache went away.:cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: You girls rock!

Yo, your little girl is fine, just needs some more rest and she'll be walking again in the park, which is one of her favorite things to do. I just got the new battery for my camera, and will try to picture the kids today and post.

Barb
07-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Fabulous news !!! :bighug: for you both !

lotsadox
07-03-2009, 06:17 PM
:woonana: That is the best news of the weekend!

Anesthesia does hit them harder as they get older. My friend had a dental on her schnauzer when he was about 6 and it was no big deal. He had to have another one when he was about 11 and had a great deal of trouble coming out of it.

I'm just so happy that Jewels is walking :cheer3: :cheer3:

AgileOllie
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
That is awesome news!!!

LUVMYGUNNER
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Glad she is Ok.:hug99:

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a dental on a dog that has had back surgery???

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a dental on a dog that has had back surgery???

Well, I can say I have. Jewels had her first dental 3 years ago, and lost 29 teeth... that's a lot of teeth to lose, and she was under for a long time, and no [bad] reaction whatsoever. This time it all went south. I swear it is the last one she'll have, and I'm thinking twice before having one of my kids that are older (except for Sammy, all of them) go through this again.

Lisa
07-03-2009, 08:19 PM

I will never put Pogo under again unless it is a medical emergency. That being said, if he has a cracked tooth etc, I consider that an emergency, but for a regular cleaning - no. But it is a personal decision, and you have to do what you and your vet are comfortable with.

Vicki, I was SO FRIGGIN' HAPPY TO READ THIS. :bighug: to you and your beautiful girl. Awesome, terrific, fantastic update. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Jen
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Vicki, what an awesome update, such a relief!! So glad she is doing better and it was just an after effect of the dental.

Curious here - did she get IV fluids during the dental? Tasha did not when she had a dental at age 3 or 4. When we had this last one, she was 7, and with the fluids she came out of it much faster and with fewer effects. Different state, different vet, just how they do it here and sure it cost a bit extra but made such a difference. (or maybe it was the anesthesia used - somehow I feel it was the fluids). Something for everyone to consider for older dogs having dentals.

vferraro99
07-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Vicki, what an awesome update, such a relief!! So glad she is doing better and it was just an after effect of the dental.

Curious here - did she get IV fluids during the dental? Tasha did not when she had a dental at age 3 or 4. When we had this last one, she was 7, and with the fluids she came out of it much faster and with fewer effects. Different state, different vet, just how they do it here and sure it cost a bit extra but made such a difference. (or maybe it was the anesthesia used - somehow I feel it was the fluids). Something for everyone to consider for older dogs having dentals.

Yes, she did get fluids, and the same vet that did the dental three years ago did this one. I swear I'll never get another regular dental for her. Like Lisa said, if she has an infection or a cracked tooth that can bring her pain, yes, with my heart beating on my mouth, but otherwise no way, Jose!

lotsadox
07-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Sometimes I think anesthesia just affects them differently at different times. It happened to the DH, too.

Several years ago, the DH had to have surgery for carpal tunnel. He had his right wrist done in September to see what kind of results he got. Had the surgery, walked out after, came home and wanted to eat. The surgery went well, so he had the other wrist done in December of the same year. Had the surgery, the nurse came out and got me to help him get dressed. He was so groggy and confused. He couldn't get awake. I took him home and he was asleep within minutes of laying down and slept until about 11:00 that night. He said it was totally different even though that same group did it at the same facility. :dunno:

And, of course, when they're older it probably affects them differently, too.

areese
07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Laika had to have a tooth pulled a few months after her surgery. Cuz it was fractured. Her tooth, not her back :) Freaked me out but it was fine. Told the vet and the tech about 100 times to NOT LET HER DANGLE when they lifted her while she was still unconcious or groggy. They also let her wake up surrounded by rolled up towels and blankies in case she might thrash around but she did not..

silverselkie56
07-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Glad it was from the dental and not her back again. Was scared while I read the entire post. Unless it is an emergancy, mine will not get dentals. I will continue to clean the plaque off like I always do. (a few chewed fingers but not as scary as what you went thru). Give Jewels hugs from us. Did she get her poops back?

Patt
07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I just saw this about Jewels, poor baby. I'm so sorry, but happy to hear she is doing okay.
Here's some feel better soon :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her.

One of my senior's was not in the best of health so anytime he had a problem with his breath (bad teeth) we did antibiotics instead. Another one of mine had a dental and it took her 3 days to recoup from the anesthesia. It is scary for the seniors.

Rileybugg
07-04-2009, 03:35 AM
So bery bery happy for both of you!!!!!!

vferraro99
07-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Did she get her poops back?

Not quite, but we're going for a walk in the park now, and I hope that the movement will make her go... it always does... plus the excitement :cheer3: :cheer3:

Again, thank you everybody for all your rayz and prayers. I KNOW it works!

areese
07-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I've been using the leba III on Salsa to avoid a dental. It is expensive but OMG it works wonders. Her teeth look like a different dog's and her breath is no longer like a sewer. Two of her loose teeth tightened up even! Still one is a bit wobbly and dark in the front (a teeny tiny tooth) but there just is much bone in her teeny jaw to hold them in. But canines and back teeth look wonderful.

Kasianni
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I will never put Pogo under again unless it is a medical emergency. That being said, if he has a cracked tooth etc, I consider that an emergency, but for a regular cleaning - no. But it is a personal decision, and you have to do what you and your vet are comfortable with.

Vicki, I was SO FRIGGIN' HAPPY TO READ THIS. :bighug: to you and your beautiful girl. Awesome, terrific, fantastic update. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

:ditto: I am not putting mine under either unless an emergency. That is why, I brush their teeth every single night. I don't always feel like it but do it anyways.
So glad to hear that your girl is up and walking!!!! :cheer3:

LUVMYGUNNER
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I brush G&P's teeth regular with a toothpaste and PetLife which is similar to Leba III but I just thought I might get them done one more time and then just brush more and use the Pezlife/Leba III. I'm thinking of trying the Leba next.
I just don't want Gunner to be blooped all over the place and get hurt.