PDA

View Full Version : Having problem with Homeowners assocation.

blueyezz74
02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
We've been geting letters since last summer saying that someone has been complaining that I'm not picking up after Harley. I've always gone out with a bag. It's come to the point where I only let Harley out to pee now. He poops on the potty pads. He hasn't pooped outside since last summer. We get a letter from the HOA today saying that we have to come to a meeting tomorrow at 5 pm and that they are fining us. WTF!!?!?!

Someone here must not like us. Lately, I only let Harley out in our small area where 4 houses meet up. One party are renters with a dog that they shouldn't even have. Another is a woman that has a dog and cat where we are only supposed to have either, not both. The other woman loves Harley but is very weird.

I have no clue who it is. Harley likes to pee outside of the woman's window that has the cat and dog. She's the only person I could think of.

As for the laws, we now breaking them with 2 dogs. We are only supposed to have 1. We see lots of people here with 2 though. I don't let Max outside yet. Thank God for that! I don't want to lose my puppies! :sad3:

We are hopefully going to the meeting tomorrow. Butch need to find out if he can get out of work. These people obviously don't have any evidence and if they do, it's not Harley's poop! We've talked to of the the Board guys before and he knows it's not us.

We are stuck here for another couple of years. My stomach is churning just thinking about this.

I need some advice here!

squirrel818
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I had a similar problem in minnesota. Between myself and my freind Roxanne we had 5 dogs and we were always getting blamed for leaving poop. There were alot of other dogs in our community but we always got blamed. Even though every single day no matter how cold it was one of us would walk the entire length of our building with the pooper scooper and pick up all the poop. Not just the poops belonging to our dogs. Roxanne has terriers and like the wieners there #2 in relatively small. We picked up border collie poop, basset hound poop,cocker spaniel poop, chocolate lab poop for goodness sakes. I suspect the property manager just didn't like any of us.
There is not really a whole lot you can do about it, especially since you are breaking the rules.(Like Roxanne was with 3 dogs instead of 2) It helps that you've talked to one of the people on the board before and he's on your side. Just tell them you don't even let your dog poop outside, he's trained to pads.
Not a whole lot of useful advice there sorry. But good luck, I know what a pain it is!

JanUet
02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I have never had any issues with the Home Assoc. So I cannot offer any advice. I would like to wish you the very best of luck tomorrow and Please keep us posted!

Sending you :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you and your tummy

K2
02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I have no advice, Donna. I'm just sorry you're having to go through this. :bighug: If I remember correctly, weren't you having Home Owner questions/concern on another board? I don't remember any suggestions, but seem to remember someone mentioning talking to the head of it or something??? Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Jacqueline
02-21-2006, 08:02 PM
We are hopefully going to the meeting tomorrow. Butch need to find out if he can get out of work. These people obviously don't have any evidence and if they do, it's not Harley's poop! We've talked to of the the Board guys before and he knows it's not us.

We are stuck here for another couple of years. My stomach is churning just thinking about this.

I need some advice here!

I think that I would tell them it is obvious that you are being harrassed for some reason that you are not aware of, and that unless they have photographic proof that you let the dog poop and then walk off, they are making false accusations. I would also tell them that you feel it is only fair that your accuser has to come forward or cease and desist.

I would find a sitter for the other pup for a few days.

Kerie
02-21-2006, 08:27 PM
I think that I would tell them it is obvious that you are being harrassed for some reason that you are not aware of, and that unless they have photographic proof that you let the dog poop and then walk off, they are making false accusations. I would also tell them that you feel it is only fair that your accuser has to come forward or cease and desist.

I would find a sitter for the other pup for a few days.

I've learned that people can be so mean and that they blame anyone they see with a dog! I have one neighbor who has major issues!! I clean it up each and every time, sometimes I get nauseous, PLUS I buy poop bags that are not cheap. All that just to be accused when other people don't clean up! I have noticed that other people don't clean up, but what they leave is so obviously not from a dachshund that I cannot understand how anyone can point a finger at me. Unfortunately, the person who does not have the dog is the one who looks like the good guy sometimes!!!

Be prepared in case they have figured out about the 2nd dog! Good luck. If you buy poop bags, show the receipts!!!! I'd love to show my neighbor how many I go through because I never leave a poop behind!

blueyezz74
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
It's come to the point where I only let Harley out to pee now. He poops on the potty pads.

We have no poop bags since we only allow him out to pee. I've got plenty of potty training pads though! I can bring the whole damn bag.

As for the puppy he's never outside. We have blinds so noone can see him. His crys are so low sometimes you can't hear him in the other room!

Helen
02-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh, man! What a mess. I don't have any advice, but I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the meeting tomorrow.

Since there's no evidence, it's your word against the accuser's. I hope they listen to your side of the story. Good luck!

SaraInCT
02-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Just remember, the burden of proof is on them. It is their responsibility to proove their case. Worse case scenerio you hire an attorney to write a letter.

Patt
02-21-2006, 10:48 PM
No advice, but wish you the very best. :crossfin: :crossfin: and paws crossed that your meeting goes well.

Goob
02-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I'd have them DNA the poop sample and that way they'll know it isn't Harley's. Is that even possible? If not, sounds like harassment to me. Good luck and keep us posted. :mad:

Pokeys Mom
02-22-2006, 02:01 AM
I'd have them DNA the poop sample and that way they'll know it isn't Harley's. Is that even possible? If not, sounds like harassment to me. Good luck and keep us posted. :mad: Way to go Karen! Seriously, we are in an area with multiple dogs and some people do not clean up! Ack! Maybe make it clear in a letter that you find the health hazards of leaving poop behind unacceptable, and that you 1) use pee pads and 2) clean-up. Anything further is jumping to conclusions and harassment.

I know exactly what my puppers' business looks like. :lol: I can easily tell what is not "mine," and will be happy to provide a stool sample to anyone who doubts my ability! Stay calm and strong. You will be fine!! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

alfina
02-22-2006, 07:42 AM
I think you shouldn't allow them to harass you like that even if you are breaking their 1 dog rule.

Lisa
02-22-2006, 08:11 AM
I agree Donna, don't let them push you around. Demand to see their "evidence" that it is Harley doing this, and you're not cleaning up.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens today. Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you to get through the meeting.

Alex's Mom
02-22-2006, 08:16 AM
ITA...the burden of proof is on them!! Stick to your guns, and try to maintain a calm, professional manner at the meeting (easier said than done, ol' hot tempered moi knows all too well, believe me,!). That way, the accuser comes across as looking unreasonable, not you. Another thought...is it possible to watch the area in question for a day and take pix of people NOT picking up their dogs' poop? that would sure stop them in their tracks! At any rate, :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a positive meeting and a good outcome! Let us know how it goes, OK?

HotDogMama
02-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Good Luck tonight!! :crossfin: :crossfin: Some people just don't have anything better to do, so petty. :mad:

blueyezz74
02-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your support.

Butch read the bilaws last night. They aren't even doing this by the book.

First the complainer needs to fill out a form to complain. If not resolved then complainer and complainee meet with HOA to discuss further. These hasn't happened. We received our last complaint letter (yes this is ongoing) in September. Butch is going to tell them that we want to meet with the other party and then say that Harley doesn't defacate outside at all.

I hope this doesn't get ugly!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-22-2006, 09:55 AM
:shocked: So sorry anyone has to go thru that! It' s crazy & I don' t blame you for being :mad: ITA with everybody, tell them to prove it, the law is you have to be proven guilty, right?

Frzframe
02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Well this isn't fair and I hate unfairness.

I would never live where their is a home association. I bought the dang house I should be able to paint it the color I want, put up a fence if I want, etc.

Some houses where I live have associations and let me tell you they are harder to sell.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

lotsadox
02-22-2006, 02:23 PM
ITA with Jacqueline, make them show you proof that you are doing it. I would also ask that they tell you who is complaining. I'm not sure of the laws, but I think they have to tell you. All paws and fingers crossed here for you. :crossfin: :crossfin:

Otto'sMom
02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
They want to get ulgy? You can get stinky. Save all the poops from your dog, and bring them to the meeting. Point out to them the size of dachshund poops compared to the size of a poop you've found not picked up. If the poop does not fit...you must acquit.

quavec
02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
They want to get ulgy? You can get stinky. Save all the poops from your dog, and bring them to the meeting. Point out to them the size of dachshund poops compared to the size of a poop you've found not picked up. If the poop does not fit...you must acquit.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

JanUet
02-22-2006, 03:46 PM

okay! I just peed my pants!:rotfl:
Even if they SHOW you a picture of Harley doing his business outside...what does that prove? All, if not most dogs poop outside! Does he squat when he pees and ppl think he's pooping? Casey squats (or does the funky stretch as I call it) to pee (thank gosh!) but he does have a different pooping stance.
I would laugh so hard if someone took at pic of Casey peeing and said he was pooping. I would feel the need to bring him in the office with me just to show them the difference...right there on their CARPETING!
Please keep us posted

Jacqueline
02-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your support.

Butch read the bilaws last night. They aren't even doing this by the book.

First the complainer needs to fill out a form to complain. If not resolved then complainer and complainee meet with HOA to discuss further. These hasn't happened. We received our last complaint letter (yes this is ongoing) in September. Butch is going to tell them that we want to meet with the other party and then say that Harley doesn't defacate outside at all.

I hope this doesn't get ugly!

I would go into the meeting, bylaws in hand, and insist that they follow them. It has already gotten ugly, because they are making false accusations and trying to fine you. Again, someone has it in for you, and who knows, maybe it is someone on the board.

blueyezz74
02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, this look good.

My neighbor was there to to complain about our other neighbors on a different issue. It's not her who complainted. She has been complaining that a small dog and a large dog are both pooping behind her house.

When we pleaded out case, one of the board guys said that he saw me out there with Harley very early in the morning a few days ago.

Butch and I both think after that meeting that they just assumed it was us. No one seems to know whos dog is going back there.

Butch did tell the board that he's seen many people cutting through by our houses with dogs and that our renters that shouldn't even have a dog have let their dog poop right in front of our house. Our neighbor also thinks that it's their dog going back by her place.

So the fine is waived and we've told them again that it's not our dog. But this time it was at a formal meeting. I feel better now.

:lama:

Lisa
02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Glad it worked out for you!! Hopefully, this will be the last you hear of this issue!

blueyezz74
02-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Glad it worked out for you!! Hopefully, this will be the last you hear of this issue!

I hope!!!!:crossfin:

K2
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, that turned out well. I hope it's the end of it. Poor Harley can't even go potty without having a committee meeting about it:rotfl:

Yolanda
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I do hope this is the end of the problems. Glad it turned out the way it did.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Good! Glad to hear it went OK. Hope it' s the end of it.

Romandachs
02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Sam's club sells survelience cameras and recorders, if it is such a problem for them, why don't they purchase these and "record" the guilty parties. I don't see how they can FINE someone on assumptions.

Nancy
02-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Glad to hear everything worked out in harleys favor!

Jen
02-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry I missed this, I'm technically on vacation this week and haven't been on the board as much.

Sounds like you handled it just right Donna. I'm glad this round is over and all went well. I hope there isn't another round!