PDA

View Full Version : The Big Bed Drama - or, How I lost my mind

daisys
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I love my dogs, I really, really do. I love my Honey, really, really! Their love for me and each other is driving me insane. I like having Bridgette in bed with me, we snuggles really good! :hearts: :hearts: I like having Bear too, when he sleeps, he is a nice weight of fur against my feet. :love9: Honey likes them in bed too... when they sleep.

Ok bed time involves a simple routine we have developed. Simple is such a simple word! Problem is that I have to get up around 4-4:30am, so currently, it's still light out at bed time, therefore the pups are usually not ready.

About an hour before bed we do some run play type activities to try to tire them out, a lot of playing. Then we take the pups out, admire/water the garden for about a half hour as they do their business (most of the time it gets done). Then we undress and the fun begins! Follow this, because I can direct it like an orchestra!

I get into bed with Bridgette. Honey gets in next to me and Bit, the cat, jumps up next to his head. (Forget the loving part. We have to SNEAK that in!) She snuggles down next to him and Bridgette snuggles under the covers against me. Then Bear whines and Honey puts him on the bed. He insists on a good wrestling match with Bridgette and they are both put on the floor. Then Bridgette tries to climb the bed (it is 2-1/2 feet up, I measured). I pick up Bridgette and stuff her under the covers. Bear bumbles around trying to get under the bed, getting partially stuck because he is too big now. Honey hauls Bear out. Bridgette worms around, settles down, I start to drift off when Bridgette sneaks her head off the side to peer at Bear. Bear jumps on the side of the bed barking in my ear. Honey and I both yell at him to Shut the F up! He barks some more and Honey grabs him and puts him on the bed in front of the fan. he settles down a bit and I start to drowse again. Bear starts worming around so that he is squishing Bridgette against me and getting as close as he can. Bridgette gets mad and boils out from under the covers, snapping and snarling - "I'm sleeping here, you OX!" I shove/put Bridgette off the bed and Bear follows. More rough housing ensues and then finally things get quiet. Bridgette whines to get back on the bed, Honey picks her up and stuffs her under the covers, I get cold nose to the butt, then the bed bumps around a bit as Bear comes out from under, yelps and Honey "Sacrifices" the cat, Bit, by dropping her down to deal with Bear. (Bit thinks she is momma to these lumbering dogs!) There are a few sounds of tumble play and a few "swacks" heard, then a bolt for the door, smack of the door swinging as Bit escapes and Bear barks again, and gets put back on the bed. Now, it's ok to sleep. It's a total song and dance routine that lasts about an hour or so and was making us both highly irritable.

I Hope you have followed me so far, because NOW, we have my Honey's SOLUTION!

Enter "The Ramp From Hell". We had been talking about how they could get up and down by themselves and then they wouldn't bother US with needing the sit up, reach down, pick up and vice versa. Honey built a ramp that runs all the way down the end of our bed, carpeted so they would not have to bother us to get up and down and it would be easier for Bridgette's back than steps. Yay!:cheer3:

We shoulda stuck with that "simple routine". The bed is now a race track, wrestling ring, barking contest grounds, bouncy toy, etc. Without limiting their up/down we have lost all control for hours and I am LOOSING MY MIND!

That's it! The ramp is no longer against the bed after the second night started the same! And THAT seems to cause even MORE whining! They want their easy access! ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacqueline
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

oceangirls
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
This sounds amusing, but miserable!! I am a light sleeper and value my rest. This does not mean I love my DH and dogs any less. It means I value my rest :sleep:. No puppers in our bed and I have no issues about moving to the couch if DH is snoring :thumbup:

:goodluck:

Rileybugg
07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: oh yeah...just like here...:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jen
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm with Kim. Tasha does NOT sleep with us. She's allowed on the big bed during the day when we're at work, and we take naps with her during the daytime, but at night she has her own bed and goes there willingly. Something I urge you to consider if you value your sleep. Especially with a giant puppy.