PDA

View Full Version : Peaches vs. the Irish Wolf Hound!

Tanya
02-22-2006, 02:51 AM
There is an Irish Wolf Hound in the agility class after Peaches' class. So, every week we see this dog coming in as we are getting ready to leave. Well, Peaches has decided she does not like him and will bark/howl at him incessantly until I take her outside! She howls so loudly that the front of her body actually lifts off the ground. :rotfl:

The guy with the Irish Wolf Hound along with everyone else there thinks it's about the funniest thing ever. I've told her she is basically a snausage treat for him, but she doesn't care. Sassy Peaches! :krazy:

BTW, this is an Irish Wolf Hound:
http://www.antique-dog-pictures.co.uk/images/sight/irish-wolfhound.jpg

JanUet
02-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Whoa!:shocked:
Gosh! That wolf hound could use Peaches as a tooth pick!
They are huge!

Peaches just knows how to stand her ground. She is way bigger than him in her mind.

Sophie does the same thing to Bigger dogs :rotfl:

Patt
02-22-2006, 04:20 AM
That probably is a very funny sight to see. :rotfl: Unfortunately not so funny for you.

Yolanda
02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
It just goes to show you that our doxies are a BIG dog in a small body. :rotfl:

Alex's Mom
02-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, if you're gonna go, go big!!! :rotfl:

K2
02-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Wow!!! Peaches is a brave little girl!! I went on a "dog parade" with Pippit and there were two Irish Wolfhounds in front of us. One of the dogs kept jumping straight up(like 6-8 feeet) and grabbing onto tree limbs with his mouth! OMG~it was funny!

areese
02-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Laika always goes after the biggest dog she sees in class or at agility trials. It's really embarassing and I think dangerous. There's a sweet newfie she always "gets" ("getting" requires she lunges at it and does horrible evil barking at it). I worry cuz if I'm not paying attention she would possibly get too close and although I know she won't bite, I wouldn't blame another dog for going back at her. Thank goodness so far all dogs just ignore her. If they could shrug, they would.
Glad Laika isn't the only one!

Nancy
02-22-2006, 09:30 AM
isnt it funny how the little dogs always go for the bigger ones?!

I'm glad Peaches has the gusto!

Mama S.
02-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Peaches: Poppa Jamie is an Irishman who sez you needs to weave da poor dumb Iwis dawg awone! Dey not da brightest wight bubs and him might step on you and huwt you and den we gots to git him!! But Poppa sez he bewy pwoud ub yu fer twyin to git dat baddddd dawg!:rotfl:
Sandi

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Shadow used to bark at the neighbors Rottweiler when they were both pups.
Everybody thought it was funny too, but I was scared that the Rottweiler would get thru the fence one day & come after Shadow.

Tanya
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
It is funny, but I really don’t want her barking at this dog. He hasn’t even done anything to her! He simply walked in the door last night, and Miss Thing started barking like crazy. What bothers me is that when I told her no, she still kept barking…she usually stops. I don’t know what it is…is it simply the dog’s size or what? Both dogs are on leashes and away from each other, so I know he won’t hurt her. Hell, if the dog could laugh at her, I bet he would!

areese
02-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean. I get so frustrated with Laika's obsession with "getting" big dogs. I've not been able to do anything about it. She does stop when I tell her but won't stop starting, if that makes sense. I can tell her signs now and will warn her when I see her staring. She gets very still. Like a SNAKE before she strikes! Sometimes I just pick her up and turn away. But you know how focused they can be....she'll keep thinking about getting that dog and will go at it at any opportunity. She also doesn't like dogs that stare at her (Border collies and Aussies especially), those with squished faces (pugs etc), and of course all dogs bigger than her which is most dogs. The only dogs I can trust her with are other doxies. She likes them. She's a snob. I bet Peaches just hasn't ever seen anything like that wolfhound and is sure it is dangerous. I ahve a friend that works in a doggy daycare and she says the dogs do seem to like others that look like them and will even group themselves by breed. That dog prob. looks the least like Peaches of any dog ever!
YOu could try picking her up and giving her a little scruff-shake and tell her to leave it. So she knows you are in charge and don't need protecting from the big hairly monster.

Alex's Mom
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
maybe she thought it wasn't a dog? I sure know that a lot of dogs will bark at horses when they first see them...especially dachsies who think they're masters of the universe (aka Alex!). Would it help to hold her while introducing the two of them? Just a thought...I'd never do that with Alex, cuz the poor old wolfhound would have "piercings" on his furry ol' face :rotfl:

When Maxe was a puppy we were out walking when a guy with a Dane came along. Next thing I know Maxe is hanging from the Dane's throat. Fortunately the owner had a sense of humour, and it did look pretty funny, this little tiny wiener dangling way above the ground, not to mention the WTF?!? look on the poor Dane's face! :rotfl:

Tanya
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
When Maxe was a puppy we were out walking when a guy with a Dane came along. Next thing I know Maxe is hanging from the Dane's throat. Fortunately the owner had a sense of humour, and it did look pretty funny, this little tiny wiener dangling way above the ground, not to mention the WTF?!? look on the poor Dane's face! :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Thanks for the laugh!

If Peaches would ever stop barking, I would love to introduce them. We actually met one several times when we were in obedience. She wasn’t quite as big as this IWH, but still really big. Peaches didn’t have any problems with her…even sniffed her when they’d see each other. I am going to be more stern with Miss Thing next week, and maybe they can meet and make friends!

Bella's Mom
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Peaches can take 'em! :rotfl: The visual of her howling at him cracks me up! :rotfl:

jennie_c_d
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I just LOVE wolfhounds!!!

Teenie had a Great Dane puppy in her class. The 10 month old HUGE pup was scared of her.

areese
02-22-2006, 04:20 PM
OWEN (who is not evil like Laika) chased my friend's Laekenois (its a wirey-haired belgian shepherd) puppy. He's not a little puppy-he's almost a year old and at least 6 times the size of lil' Owen. O just ran up to say hi (we were at our agility facility) and Doue ran so Owen ran after him. Duoe ran and leaped up on the benches-all the cushions lid off the end as he skidded down the bench to hide behind me! NOt only that-he was so scared he released his anal gland on the way. EW! Owen thought he was so tough for about a minute...

LUVMYGUNNER
02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
She is one brave doggy.

Linus
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Peaches, dis is Bailey, your balentine. Pwease be careful and stop da barkin at da big dog, i don't want anyting bad to happen to you!!! :hearts: :hearts:

P.S. I tink that's vewwy bwave of you dough!

Anatresia
02-22-2006, 09:57 PM
That is too funny! Aren't those the biggest breed of dog you can get? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Can you imagine a dachshund that size? No one would own one. Dogs that big have to be good, or you couldn't trust them. If Rigby or Butters were big dogs, they'd be unstoppable- they're too smart and too devious to behave properly!

Miss Rigby hates the 70 pound chocolate lab puppy in her class. She spends the entire class barking, growling, snapping at him, while guarding her space. She is ferocious to big dogs. And she COWERS to other dachshunds. She is a breedist- a doggie breed racist. She only likes other dachshunds.

Jen
02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Be careful Peaches, that's one huge dog. I remember seeing the judging of Wolfhounds at Westminster--what a sight, a dozen huge dogs!

SusanF
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Peaches be careful little girl! Ilsa does the same thing and it is most emabarrassing. She just goes after the biggest dogs like she could actually hurt them! You would think she would be used to other dogs since we fostered Shelties here often. She just barked her head off at our meetup last Sunday but got along pretty well witht he others.