PDA

View Full Version : Earthdog Weekend...

Jill
07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
We had a funfilled weekend of Earthdog!

The tunnels were a bit muddy because of all of the rain we had, but at least the rain held off.

Saturday:
Both Bailey and Reese q'd in intro again. Bailey needs some work building up his confidence to get to the rats faster, and well, Reese just does it for fun. On Saturday, he was clocked at 3 seconds from release to rats!

Bailey didn't Q in junior. He was overtime getting to the rats, but he did get there, and was a peach when I removed him.

Reese didn't Q in master. His walkup, mark and honor was great! He had a problem with the roller. Talking to others, that seemed to be a common problem. He did eventually make it through, but was overtime. We let him work, and I removed him perfectly.

Sunday:

Similar, 2 Q's in intro. Reese took 7 seconds this time, I think he was tired. :rotfl:

Bailey was overtime by 8 seconds. he worked great, but since he was overtime, the judge removed the cover and Bailey did his back and forth lunging at the rats and made it a little more difficult for me to remove him. he doesn't like the game to end.

Reese was perfect. I was nervous because since he knew where we were going, I thought that he might just take off up to the den. He was a little bit more speedy this time, but he came back when called. The judge called him as second to mark, so he honored first. OUTSTANDING. He did wonderfully. Can really tell we've been working on it. He flew threw the tunnel and over the roller and worked like a banshee. I go over to get him out. The cover is stuck. In an effort to get the cover off, the judge tries and the cover slams and of course Reese now knows that the cover is coming off and scoots back so I can't get him out. I always ask the judge if I can removed the cover because I have to be so quick. The judge did let me put the cover back on and let me try to retrieve him again, but it was too late, the damage was done. He knew it was over and wouldn't come forward, so no Q. I may or may not have been totally pissed and took Reese and left by myself, without the judge or my bracemate. I wasn't upset with Reese at all, it wasn't his fault, but I was pissed, because we paid the price for something that wasn't our fault. I heard that it had happened to another person too. Oh well. It is what it is. Reese had fun, and I enjoy the time with him, so I can't complain. I think Reese thought I was mad at him, but I kept telling him that it wasn't him etc. I just hope that now we haven't taken a huge leap back in our training to prevent the backing up.

We practice on Saturday and then another trial the following weekend.

areese
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Congratulations!!!!! Sorry about the equipment failure...it happens I guess but it is frustrating. I feel the same way in agility sometimes..like when the teeter doesn't tip for Salsa..and she runs her little heart out and NQ's for something that isn't our fault and shouldn't be that way. Not to mention it can set you back training-wise...
They are doing so wonderfully though!!! I really wish I could still do that with Laika..I got the flyer in the mail last week for the test out here next month. :(

Jill
07-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Amy, did the doc say no to earthdog? I don't see how that could be harmful?

areese
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Amy, did the doc say no to earthdog? I don't see how that could be harmful?
Oh hell, the surgeon said no to everything. Said she couldn't chase birds in the yard. Since reading on dodger's list and such I've relaxed some...I mean... she's a DOG. A very busy energetic dog with a high prey drive. She's gotta do some things.
I thought and thought on earthdog and was going to take her to practice cuz she LOVES it. My main concern was her insanity before having her turn. She screams and pulls and if I pick her up she screams and thrashes. I thought I could manage that...I didn't think going through the tunnels would hurt her...working the rat...not sure. She does get pretty crazy but then again..it's only for a minute. But then I remembered that she has turned around in the tunnels before (and come out the entrance) That scared me. That tight turn..with bad discs... I don't know if she has anymore bad ones..there weren't any obvious problems on the MRI but still. That just seems as if it might be really bad so I didn't want to risk it.