PDA

View Full Version : Uppity working girls & other NYC moments

Jen
02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, it was a chilly 17 degrees this am--not counting the 20 mph winds. Tasha and I ran to make the stoplight and I heard a female yell "look at that little dog run!". Once we got to the sidewalk I saw there were two "working girls" along the side of the street...and man, they were loud, shouting at all of the cars that passed--no doubt hoping someone would hire them so they could get out of the cold for a few minutes.

Which reminded me of another recent NYC Moment on walkies:

We were coming back from night walkies, about 9 pm, when 20 feet ahead a man dressed in a long white apron tossed another man into a metal restaurant sign, and he tumbled to the ground. Tasha was spooked by the noise, I was spooked by the fact the throwee was on his back on the sidewalk, eyes open, but apparently passed out! Its a restaurant with bar and I suspect he was a troublesome drunk. There's a health center on the same block and some of the health care workers having a smoke break (:rolleyes:) came over to check on him. No blood or vomit on the sidewalk the next morning so I guess he was ok. Startling though--never seen someone given the heave-ho from an establishment--except in the movies.

And one holiday moment:

Rich had Tasha on walkies at 8 am in December, and there were still lots of prostitutes out working. 3 guys were outside a corner deli sipping coffee, when a working girl, wearing a santa hat, passed by them. Of course, one of them piped up "Ho Ho Ho". Rich tried not to crack up!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Whoa! So glad I don' t have to see those sites! I don' t envy you any. We have close neighbors but, for the most part they don' t bother us!

HotDogMama
02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I could not imagine living in NYC and keeping my big mouth shut!! :appl: :appl: to you and Rich for ignoring those idiots, the sidewalk thing must have been scary, I would have bolted the other direction!!

Nancy
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
o.k., not to be a pest, but do you carry mace or anything? o.k., i'll stop.

sounds like you have a lot of ah, entertainment in your area! the only entertainment i get is the fat slob in the triple decker next to me screaming at the neighbors in the back to shut the f*ck up. this is naturally taking place at 9'oclock at night. :rotfl:

Goob
02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Never a dull moment for you and Tasha! I always enjoy your stories. :hula1:

Jen
02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
o.k., not to be a pest, but do you carry mace or anything? o.k., i'll stop.

I carry a loaded dachshund! :rotfl: :rotfl:

No, I really don't feel unsafe--and the new neighborhood is very safe! It just may feel a bit creepy at first as I have a hunch there are a LOT fewer people out at night.

Mama S.
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Never a dull moment eh?? YOu are most definitely braver than I but then I presume that living your life - you get used to it! Hopefully the new neighborhood will be less "colorful"!!
SAndi

quavec
02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow :shocked: What an adventure. Of course, down here, we are used to random shot gun blasts followed by howling hunting dogs and the whining sound of four wheelers zipping up and down a residential street.:rotfl:

lotsadox
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow, y'all have such exciting lives. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac and the most exciting thing that happens is when a really bad golfer hits our house with a golf ball.

Anatresia
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Wow. New York is exciting. I've never even seen a real prostitute before. :)

(Time for Naive Tracy's fun prostitute stories:)

Paul has, though. They "work" where he does- near downtown, by the Niagara River. (Actually, Canadians, you can see his work when you cross the Peace Bridge- there's a huge sign on his building. ;)) He said that the Buffalo "working girls" are the ugliest women he's ever seen. One time, his coworker found a purse belonging to one of them and was all excited because it had $5.00 in it (and lots of condoms- hence, the knowledge that it was a prostitute's). Paul was like, "Um, that could be evidence in a crime- you don't just pick up random prostitute purses you find in alleys." (I bet you all want to make that your signature quote as a piece of advice, don't you?)

And, of course, last year some of my students charged boys to, um, grope them on the bus after a field trip- what's that first base? Second? Something like that. $20 a grope- yes, we even knew the amount. You knew there would be a student story in here, didn't you?

quavec
02-27-2006, 06:07 PM
And, of course, last year some of my students charged boys to, um, grope them on the bus after a field trip- what's that first base? Second? Something like that. $20 a grope- yes, we even knew the amount. You knew there would be a student story in here, didn't you?

You have GOT to be kidding?! :shocked: Please tell me these children were in, like, college or something :scratch: .

Time for Naive Mom Carrol to get a reality check, huH?

Jen
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
NYC prosties vary in appearance. We had a really skanky tranny who used to hassle Rich when he walked Tasha--said s/he was prettier than the dog (no WAY!), but some are really quite attractive--though sometimes we're not sure if they're really men.....

Patt
02-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Oh Jen I love your stories and pics, so does my DH (he used to be a Narc). :rotfl: :rotfl: Keep them coming.

JanUet
02-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I really wouldn't know a call girl/lady of the evening if she came up to me and slapped me on the face!

I don't like downtown and the last time I went downtown with my son (who was 24 at the time) his hand was blue from me holding it. I wouldn't even let him go to the bathroom.:rotfl:
Too many weird people.

I used to work for an Insurance company in Downtown Toronto when i was 18. The bums on the street would hit you up for money as soon as you got off the subway :shocked: They would just swarm you! I don't like that one bit!

Geez Jen.....What are you going to do without all that excitement when you move??? :lol:

Jen
02-28-2006, 10:34 AM
The working girls are pretty obvious--who else is dressed up in tight clothes, teetering around on high heeled boots, and hanging out on corners at 7am?

It really doesn't phase me. The homeless in the hood generally leave us alone, we even have some squeegee (sp) men on one corner--and many who collect cans and bottles for the deposit.

But yes, it will be weird to not have the "street" population in the new neighborhood!

Rae
02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Wow :shocked: What an adventure. Of course, down here, we are used to random shot gun blasts followed by howling hunting dogs and the whining sound of four wheelers zipping up and down a residential street.:rotfl:

yup. and at our house it smells like barn, too. I love it. and we have bulls in the pasture next to the house so we get some bellowing when there is a turf war :boogie:

same thing, except we don't so much have "streets" as Carrol does.

Frzframe
02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't have a story so I'll share my dads. He is a JB Hunt truck driver and when he first started he was "over the road" going all across America. Well one night at a truck stop/gas station he went to bed. Well at one point he woke and found a woman in the cab with him asking him if he wanted to party. He didn't lock the cab door and she just came right on in without knocking first. He about freaked out because one) it was so late and two) because to put it nicely (which he didn't when telling the story) she was butt ugly. He learned his leason never go to bed without double checking to make sure the doors are locked!!

Bella's Mom
02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Life in NYC.... I'm a small town girl so I eat these stories up!:D

Charleston&Dave
03-03-2006, 02:10 PM
NYC prosties vary in appearance. We had a really skanky tranny who used to hassle Rich when he walked Tasha--said s/he was prettier than the dog (no WAY!), but some are really quite attractive--though sometimes we're not sure if they're really men.....

I second that. I travel into the city alot to go dancing, and let me tell you, some trannys look very convincing. I was at a bar on 34th street, and got hit on by what I thought was an attractive girl, but thankfully my friend taught me a lesson very early in life, check for the adams apple, sure enough it was there. I just told him/her that (I will censor this part) and it left furious, ah well. Besides that, I have seen many ejections from bars. Usually they seem to happen between 11pm and 1am in the morning. Still the best one was, some guy got thrown out, while he was passed out. Then out of nowhere a homeless man picked his pocket and ran away. It happened so quick that no one knew what to do. So a lesson kiddies, be sure you can hold your drinks if you go to New York.

I love my collection on NYC stories. There is no other place like on earth!

Charleston and Dave

Kerie
03-27-2006, 03:00 AM
I think that many guys in NY are told at ayoung age to "check for the Adam's apple." Well, one friend of mine had not heard that. He met a pretty girl in a bar and the next day told his buddies that he was kissing her on her neck and adam's apple. His friends still joke about it all the time. He had never heard of the adam's apple being a "male only" part. I assume he was kissing a girl and happened to kiss that area, but who knows?