PDA

View Full Version : Cosco is so smart!

ScarletBegonias
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
We have a little (kinda run-down) agility course set up at the dog park Cosco and I visit. I took him over there last time we went (almost two weeks ago) and taught him to run over the little balance beam thing. This week we walked in the fenced area and he ran up the ramp and across the beam all on his own! When I took him there the first time I couldnt get him to even think about the tunnel, he was petrified, even after throwing treats into it. This week he totally got the hang of it in no time. Though not very fluid and with many stops and starts, he also navigated the poles. As tiny as he is, I wasn't sure if he should try the see-saw thing because I was afraid his weight wouldn't be enough to tip it. He did it once but it scared both of us a little because by the end it was almost as if it was going to catapult him back. He did so well though! I doubt I'll have time for quite a while to actually train him to do it well enough for any sort of competition but its so much fun to do with him! I also like that he's getting exercise without having to run with the big dogs so to speak, which makes me a little nervous. I watch Cosco close at the dog park but other people dont and if something were to break out, I'd be the only one close enough to break it up in most instances and I really dont want to have to fight off a pit if it comes down to it. He seems to enjoy it too. I'm going to try to get some pics next time. I love my smart dog!:cheer3:

vferraro99
11-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey, smart little one! Kudos to you and to your mom for teaching you :cheer3::cheer3:

Opaleyz
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
That's so :cool: that they have that set up! What a great mommy you are for taking him for such fun play times!

oceangirls
11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
That's really cool! Even if you can't get enough time to train him for competition, it's having fun with him and letting him know you're proud of him that really counts anyway :)

ScarletBegonias
11-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Even though I have some issues with the dog park we're really lucky that its so close. Its pretty nice, there are three separately fenced areas, one smaller that people tend to bring either really small, or really big dogs in and the sort of unwritten rule is that if your dog is in there its because you don't them with others so its sort of one at a time. There the main area which is about half a football field and then the agility course area which has a ramp/balance beam set-up (I should look up what all these are actually called lol), a see-saw, a big red plastic tunnel, a set of poles and a pvc pipe set for jumping. They have plenty of trash cans and some buckets set out for water, although I always bring fresh water and a travel bowl, (which some wonderful person from the DLC sent for me :-) and a little post with poop bags.
The only real problem that I have is that for some reason they decided to put the fence behind the wooded area rather than in front and sometimes Cosco likes to explore back there and I end up traipsing through the woods to get him. I know theres a fence back there but if he doesn't come back in a few minutes I start worrying that maybe he's digging out or hurt himself somehow or some such.
And of course there's idiots there sometimes but I guess there are those anywhere...
Anyhow I am really surprised at how much we both seem to enjoy the course (usually we are both more, well lazy,lol) so maybe if we can find time it'll be good exercise for both of us.

areese
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Balance beam thingy with ramps is called a dog walk, and I'm guessing the poles you are talking about are weave poles??? A line of upright poles about 20-24 inches apart?
It's so cool that he likes to do the obstacles!!!!!!
When you go inbetween the weave poles, he has to start with the first pole on his left shoulder and enter them that way. They always gotta enter the same way from either direction.
Cosco is obviously a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts::hearts::hearts: