PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

Bella's Mom
03-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Anyone have it?? Pros/cons??? A lady in the office just purchased it for her two puppies and says it covers spaying, vet visits, meds, etc. Can this be?? She said she will pay around $20/mo. for each dog.

Patt
03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Some of the clients at my vets really like the insurance and it pays off, they use VPI. Here are some links for you to check out. You need to read the small print carefully. I think it's best to start a savings account for your pets.

http://www.urbanhound.com/houndHealth/healthInsurance.html

http://www.petsbest.com/

www.petshealthplan.com

Jen
03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I read up on a number of plans, but in the end, I started a savings account.

Alex's Mom
03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Unfotunately Alex was too old and too ill for it to be of any use to me when it first came out here, but I have friends who have it and they seem happy with it. You really have to read the fine print about what's included and what's not though. Like most insurance it can sometimes be hard to get them to honour claims if it's something big, from what I've seen with others. Also not much use for seniors, cuz most of them cut way back on the percentage they'll cover after the age of 8.

lotsadox
03-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I've never had it, just use the savings account method.

HotDogMama
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I read about it some, but what I mostly got from it is that it is more or less a re-imbursment thing, so you still have to pay for everything up front, and then they send you the money back for what they pay for? I didn't really trust that idea, who knows how long you have to wait to get your money back. If its anything like people doctors and dentists you have to keep on them til they pay you back what you and the insurance paid! I may be wrong, but that is the way I understood it.

Patt
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I read about it some, but what I mostly got from it is that it is more or less a re-imbursment thing, so you still have to pay for everything up front, and then they send you the money back for what they pay for? Your right Jennifer you must pay up front, I haven't heard any complaints from the clients I've talked to.

Helen
03-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I think people are wary of getting insurance for dachshunds because of back problems. If the injuries can be attributed to a pre-existing condition, the insurance probably won't pay for the medical bills. And I think it's hard to tell sometimes, so you might be in for a fight with the company. (This is what I've gathered from hearing discussions...no personal experience.)

Like everyone said, read the fine print, and if possible speak to someone directly about back injuries and what is covered and what isn't. If you can get what they say in writing, even better.

Bella's Mom
03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
When I was talking with my co-worker I just thought it sounded too good to be true. Wouldn't everyone be doing it if it was an all around great thing? I figure we'll just figure out a way if there is ever a need. We would sacrifice and go into serious debt if need be for our girl. She's our little snicker doodle... :hearts:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I researched it & I realized that it' s not worth the $ you pay into it. It only covered certain things. So I didn' t get it.

Bella's Mom
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
I researched it & I realized that it' s not worth the $ you pay into it. It only covered certain things. So I didn' t get it.
That's why I love sites like these. You're able to get feedback and advice on such important things in our puppers lives. :cheer2:

Nancy
03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I just use my credit card! Think of all those frequent flier miles! :rotfl:

JanUet
03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't trust ANY Insurance company. They always seem to find a loop hole so they don't need to pay you.

Example...kind of a silly one...but I'm sure you will get the point.
Remember example only...from the top of my head :rotfl:
Your dog has injured it's dewclaw and it must be removed ASAP, you ask for help with the payments...they tell you that the dewclaws are not covered as in a majority of dogs, they are removed shortly after birth. LOOP HOLE!!!!

I did warn you that it was silly! :lol:
Insurance coverage varies from breed to breed.
Always check the fine print.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-03-2006, 10:32 AM
That' s my thoughts exactly. If you really need it, it wont help!