PDA

View Full Version : Super Smart

Edelweiss
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I can honestly say, I have never had a puppy as smart as Edelweiss.
We have had her 2 weeks today, she will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. Let me tell you a few things she does that makes me think she is brilliant. LOL
For the past 3 days she has gone to the patio door and she barks any time she needs to go potty. Now she won't do this if she has to pee but she seems to understand she is supposed to potty outside. I think the urge to peepee just hits her so fast she will just drop and go. But I think it is amazing the consistency she is exhibiting to go potty outside as young as she is AND as cold as it is outside.
Another thing she does that is so cute and smart is she already knows what "lets go nigh nigh" means.
She sleeps in between my husband and I each night and as soon as we say lets go nigh nigh she will run to the side of the bed and look up at it and if we aren't quick enough to pick her up and put her on it, she will bark and whine.
Then once she is placed on the bed she will immediately run to her spot, get under her blankie and lay down. And there she will remain until morning. She is so good. She already understands what no means. And you can tell it actually hurts her feelings to be told NO NO. She will bow her head and sulk. It's so cute! But we stand firm in our training, but man she bats those pretty eyes at us and we just melt. We have to look the other way when she does that or we will end up scooping her up and babying her. She's very vocal and talks back too. Is this a normal Dachshund thing? She is our first Dachshund so we didn't know if this was typical of the breed or if we just got lucky. LOL
Don't get me wrong, she can be very stubborn but she is highly intelligent and just amazes us daily with the way she responds so quickly to training and learning routines. We love her so much already, it seems she's been here so much longer then she has.

Otto'sMom
12-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Yep. You've been initiated. Dachshunds are all like that. Even the bad ones. You start off with just one, and that one is so awesome and cute, you want another one, because two dachshunds at once will put an end to your need for a social life because they will provide hours of entertainment and you will SWEAR that no other dogs could ever be so funny. And you're right. Dachshunds are just that way.

LexieLuvr
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Yep. You've been initiated. Dachshunds are all like that. Even the bad ones. You start off with just one, and that one is so awesome and cute, you want another one, because two dachshunds at once will put an end to your need for a social life because they will provide hours of entertainment and you will SWEAR that no other dogs could ever be so funny. And you're right. Dachshunds are just that way.
Well said. Dachsies are VERY smart, and often their intelligence is seen as stubbornness. If you've never had a dachsie before, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Dacshunds for Dummies." I got one after 20+ years of dachsies, and learned a TON of things I never knew about the breed! You'll love the book -- although probably not quite as much as your furgirl. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Barb
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
That is so sweet...and yupper, they work their way into your heart so very quickly :D

bittyup
12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

I am so glad you are enjoying your little on so much!:love98: They really do pull on your heart strings and are often too smart for themselves. Doxie B "yells" at me when I discipline Nero. Its so funny. Keep up the good training as they can out clever you real fast.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

vferraro99
12-17-2009, 11:52 AM

:ditto: I started with one, and I'm up to 4 now. They do get into your heart pretty fast, and are the most adorable little yappers around. You're really been initiated, and this is just the beginning.:love98::congrats2:

Rileybugg
12-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Well, she has you trained. :rotfl::rotfl: