PDA

View Full Version : THis mihgt need to be in the food section but here goes

Mama S.
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
As you all know I'm feeding 7 dogs - 8 if you count the bag of chicken that Aurora gets from Nana's house. I normally feed everyone on the back deck. I wasn't paying attention tongiht and 3 guys streaked in to the house and straight onto my carpet and couch with their chicken. Before I could get to them raw chicken all over my carpet and couch. Jamie is convinced I'm killing the dogs with this "stoopid new diet" and now he's freaking out that my whole house is going to be one giant salmonella pit. :faint: Anyhoo - suggestions on what I can spray the carpet and couch down with to kill anything that might have been on the chicken which is now all over the place?? I was going to spray the back deck down with a bleach solution but obviosly I can't do that inside.
Sandi

Jen
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
EWWWW! That is why I couldn't do raw. I think all raw chicken is so germy--I'm Monk like on that and clean everything very well.

Hope some of the raw feeders will have good advice for you.

K2
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry for laughing, but the visual that's in my head right now is REALLY funny!! The dogs, running all over the place with chicken parts hanging out of their mouths and Jamie running after them.....:rotfl:

Okay, not the same thing but......when one of my kids has an accident(like just today, a little girl peed on the couch!!!!) We make a solution of 3/4 cup Bleach per gallon of hot water. (we put it in spray bottles)

Just remember that bleach breaks down quickly so you need to have a fresh batch each day. It works for us!! We also spray the toys down and air dry overnight(germs) and I've sprayed the carpets, too. The bleach is diluted enough that it won't bleach out! Good luck!

Bella's Mom
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Clorox has a new product out called anywhere something or the other that is safe to use around pets, children, etc. It's a spray. I know Target, Walmart, etc. carry it. Good luck!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
:shocked: Yuck! I think I would cook it & de-bone it!!! Can dogs get salmonella?

jennie_c_d
03-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Dogs CAN get salmonella, as in it's not impossible. It is highly unlikely, though. Their stomach is far more acidic than humans', and it the food passes through so rapidly that it doesn't get much chance to flourish any germs. Humans have a very long, herbivorous end of omnivore, GI tract. We're build to break down plant matter and get lots of nutrition from that, along with some animal proteins. Dogs have a very short, opportunistic carnivore GI tract, and are designed to get nutrition from animal protein and get it out before it can make them sick. That's why eating roadkill and poop rarely causes a problem in dogs.

BTW, the chicken meat is not an issue with Salmonella. It comes from the poop. The way commercial chickens are killed is the reason that it's contaminated.

Your pets are more likely to become ill from a commercially produced pet food or treat than from fresh meat.

Courtney
03-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Yep, Jennie's absolutely right!!

Sandi, I would try the suggestions. I don't have any for you. I'm not that concerned about germs! :rotfl: