PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Huggablehounds
12-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I wanted to see if anyone has used or is using Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Hindquarter Weakness. I have a dachshund with back issues. He was sat on by a very large man. He was unable to use his hind legs for 6-8 months. This happened about 6 years ago. I have taken him and is brother in about 3 years ago. I had both neutered, and put them on good food. Starbuck is starting to be stiff and his getting very weak. Any info on this or any supplement would be wonderful.

:thankyou:

Lisa
12-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Ouch for the little dog. I have not heard of the supplement. I will look up what was recommended to me (I didn't end up purchasing it) when Pogo went down with IVDD.

Lisa
12-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow, I found that pretty easily. Also, I know you are new, so we are NOT trying to get rid of you :) But for anything dachshund back related, you need to check out Dodger's List (http://www.dodgerslist.com/) as they are a wealth of information.

NOTE TO ANYONE READING THIS, YOU MUST DISCUSS THIS TREATMENT (AND ALL TREATMENT YOU READ OFF THE NET) WITH YOUR VETERINARIAN TO SEE IF IT IS THE RIGHT COURSE OF TREATMENT FOR YOUR ANIMAL. WE ARE NOT VETS OR NEUROLOGISTS.

Also, I personally have not used this treatment. Amy and I both had dogs that went down very close to each other, and she has done a ton of research. I have given a couple of options to my vet to review in case it happens again, and the dog is not a candidate for surgery. Because your dogs injury is not a result of IVDD, but a traumatic event, this might not even be an option for him.

Protocol for the Treatment of Back Injuries with
DISCUS COMPOSITUM.

You need:
1) Syringes 3ml 25 gauge (at least 35)
2) Liquid B12 (40-45 ml) for this you need a prescription from your
Veterinarian
(I found the cheapest place was Wal-Mart pharmacy).
3) Discus compositum 10 ampoules (2.2 ml each) from “Your R4
Health“Co. www.illnessisoptional.com Tel. (888) 794-4325
On the Discus Composium package is says “for oral use only”
Ignore that! This statement is for HUMAN USE!
Everything is administered sub cutaneous.

PROTOCOL
1st Day: 2ml of Discus (AM) and 2ml of B12 (PM)
2nd Day: 2ml of B12
3rd Day: Repeat day 1
4th Day: Repeat Day 2
Repeat this for 20 days. You are giving 2 ml
of Discus Compositum every other day and 2ml of B12
every day.
On the days where I had to give both I gave one in the morning the other in the evening.

Lisa
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Also, please research other types of treatment. Physio therapy, acupuncture, chiropractor, Water therapy. There are others too that I can't think of, but I am sure others will chime in.

LexieLuvr
12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes, please check out dodgerslist. It's a wealth of information for dogs with or prone to back issues, not just dachsunds. My Jack went down August 30, and with the help of a holistic vet, acupuncture, VOM, prednisone, muscle relaxants, and pain meds, he is now back to 99% and full of p and v! I give what my holistic vet suggested; each dog is different and needs different meds, so I highly recommend an expert opinion or two.

bittyup
12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I have used Chinese medicine for myself. Every body is different and though teas and herbs are excellent in bringing the body in harmony if discs are involved in is a good idea to incorporate it with a prescribed therapy as Lisa suggested such as chiropractic,water therapy,acupuncture, etc. It is wonderful you are helping this little guy. Let us know how he is doing.

Rae
12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
does he take glucosamine and chondroitin every day? When I started giving that to Duchie she was like a brand new dog. you can give human supplements to I get mine at PetSmart. it tends to "lube up" joints....

LUVMYGUNNER
12-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Check into a supplement called OPC. I also give Gunner who has had back surgery.

Glucosamine/chondroitine
Hyaluronic Acid
fish oil with vitamin E
Ester-C
MSM

These are all highly approved by dodgerslist and my neuro and vet.

Huggablehounds
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys. I will check out the site. My female Panda hurt herself almost 2 years ago and has a chiro. She now see her every 3 months. I will have to talk to her about Starbuck, sometimes I forget about her, lol. I will have to give his old vet a call to see if I can get her the copies of the x-rays. He is on a supplement it is Joint Plus, but I was looking for something that is alittle more natural. His old owners wouldn't give me his wheelchair. They want him put to sleep if his legs go out. They said that they will pay for it, but he is a great little dog and he is so bounded with his brother Apollo that I think I would have to let them go together. They can't be away from eachother. These boys have had a hard life and are now just starting to enjoy themselves. I can't just let them go yet, they are full of life. I would never let them put him down unless my vet and agree it is time.

About 5 years ago his hind legs went out while I was babysitting them. I rushed him to his vet and he gave him a shot and some meds. I dont know what he gave him, because I wasn't his owner at the time. He has been pretty good until the other day. But seems alot better to day. I think it is the rain we have been having here in florida.

Thanks again.

alfina
12-27-2009, 04:37 PM
So I understand, they did not surrender the dog to you? They are still the owners and you are taking care of him?

Huggablehounds
12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I am the owner of both Starbuck and Apollo. That was the reason why they wouldn't give me his wheelchair, which a friend of my aunt's made for him. They tried to make it apart of the agreement, but I did not agree to that part. They weren't to happy when I got them both neutered, but they are mine. They didn't care for them when they had them, so they shouldn't care now if I want to do what I can to give them what they need now. I wouldn't allow anything to happen to them. They have came to see them about a year ago and both dogs could of cared less that they were here. lol.

Patt
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I've never heard of Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Hindquarter Weakness. The only supplement I give to my Doxie's is Vetri-Disc (back support formula), recommended by my vet. They have been on it for 4 years.

http://www.vetriscience.com/vetdisc.php

oceangirls
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
They tried to make it apart of the agreement, but I did not agree to that part. They weren't to happy when I got them both neutered, but they are mine. They didn't care for them when they had them, so they shouldn't care now if I want to do what I can to give them what they need now.

:faint: That is horrible!! Dogs can live very long joyful lives not even noticing their handicaps (I won't even waste words on the fact that they didn't want you to neuter). It is wonderful that these pups are with you now :hearts: !!

Huggablehounds
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Oceangirl. I have know these two for almost all of there lives. They got them when they were 8 weeks old. I have been trying to get them to give them to me for along time. Then one day they show up and say here you go. They know they would be better with me. Both are now happy and enjoy themselves. I don't have large dogs that step on them or people that sit on them. I am thankful that they gave them to me.

Starbuck has an appointment with my chiro on the 12th of Jan. I will ask her about supplements also. I am going to read about the VetriDisc.