PDA

View Full Version : Bambi - UPDATE Post # 24

vferraro99
01-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm off to the vet with Bambi this morning, they had already closed yesterday when I saw the post about Rusty and it clicked. We (Bambi and I, that is) did not sleep much last night. She was in pain, and moaned a lot. I gave her a 25mg Rymadil at about midnight, but she continued to moan until about 2 am. She is feeling good now, and she did poop (thank doG!), but her tummy is still very hard. She's on crate rest (hates it, but she's very understanding when Mom says she has to be there), and the vet opens in about an hour.

Please send rayz for my little girl.

areese
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you and Bambi!
Remember to tell the vet you've given her rimadyl -she should not have a steroid given in combination with that. If the vet feels steroids is the only way to go, please ask for stomach protection as the combo can cause bleeding ulcers.
Keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Oodles of rayz for Bambi. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jacqueline
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz:

AgileOllie
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh no!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: please KUP!

lotsadox
01-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Bambi and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you

Opaleyz
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!

RustysMom
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Bambi and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

Many Many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Bambi! Keep us updated :hug99:

vferraro99
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Bambi is at the vet. They're going to do bloodwork and sedate her to do the myelogram to see what damage she has. It is obvious it's on the left side, that's where she really feels it, and where her flip paw test came out not so good.

She'll get Tramadol also with the Rymadil, and the vet mentioned sending me to the Vet Referral Center for surgery, but I'll wait for the results of the myelogram before I make the decision.

Depending on the damage, I'd do it my way first, strict crate rest and meds with acupuncture. She had a back episode about 8 years ago, and recovered without much ado, another about a couple of years ago, ditto. I'll not rush into something drastic unless absolutely necessary.

How's Rusty doing today?

Azaren
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Many rays for Bambi :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

:hug99:

vferraro99
01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Bambi does have a lot of narrowing on L1/L2, with some spondilosis, with some narrowing on the neighboring vertebraes as well. She was referred to the Veterinarian Referral Center, which is a fabulous surgery center in Las Vegas, that has saved the lives of countless animals, including some Metro K9s. I'll talk to Dr. Giles there and see what is his recommendation and go from there.

She's still groggy, and will be taking more Rimadyl and Tramadol, plus crate rest. My husband being home is kind of a God send right now.

Barb
01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
tons of rays and good thoughts on the way for Bambi - so scary ! :hug99: for you Mommy.....

areese
01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I'm soooo glad you jumped on this before things got worse-whatever you decide to do will be easier cuz you caught it early!!!
More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you all!

bittyup
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:for Bambi.

Otto'sMom
01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:to bambi:hug99:

lotsadox
01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got her in and got a referral. Let us know what Dr. Giles says.

AgileOllie
01-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Keep us posted!:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
01-03-2010, 08:26 PM
More Bambi :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Hope you can avoid surgery!! :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin:

Yolanda
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I'm soooo glad you jumped on this before things got worse-whatever you decide to do will be easier cuz you caught it early!!!
More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you all!

My thoughts to - keep us posted and lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

oceangirls
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Rayz for your girl!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rileybugg
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LUVMYGUNNER
01-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Here are rays:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and prayers for her...Gunners problem was in L1 and T12.

Alex's Mom
01-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Geez, just seeing this now!!!! :shocked: Tons and tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:Vicki...keep us posted! :hug99::hug99:

vferraro99
01-04-2010, 08:07 PM
We had our vet appointment at 1 pm this afternoon. It is with much relief that I report that Dr. Gills did not see any reason why I should not continue with the course of conservative treatment. Bambi does not present any neurological problems at this time, and actually seemed very bright and perky at the time of the visit.

Obviously, should anything happen we'll go back right away, but she seems to be recovering well. He told me that she should have 3-4 weeks of crate rest, and I replied that I was thinking more on the line of 6-8 weeks, and he laughed... he said the majority of people bug their eyes when he says 3-4 weeks. He also mentioned that if I'd be the perfect owner for a downed pet... funny!

Thank you so much for all the rayz and good thoughts. I just KNOW that DLC rayz work wonders! :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm so glad that Bambi is doing better and Dr. Giles thinks your conservative treatment is the right course. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

I think it's really funny that you were thinking MORE crate rest than he was. You're probably the first person that ever did that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

LexieLuvr
01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm so glad that Bambi is doing better and Dr. Giles thinks your conservative treatment is the right course. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

I think it's really funny that you were thinking MORE crate rest than he was. You're probably the first person that ever did that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

HUGE ditto!! I suspect most vets get all sorts of crap from owners when he recommends crate rest -- but that's SO the best way to go many times! More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!!

Barb
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM
thats a great report Vicki - :yay:

Yolanda
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
He also mentioned that if I'd be the perfect owner for a downed pet... funny!

Awesome report - Did you just happen to mention Queen Jewles to the Doctor?

LUVMYGUNNER
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
That is awesome news...:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

vferraro99
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Awesome report - Did you just happen to mention Queen Jewles to the Doctor?

Yes, Yo, I did. I told him I have two IVDD survivors at home, that although do not have control over their bodily functions, walk. He was surprised to say the least. He said he never saw an IVDD survivor (with surgery or without) that did not control bodily functions, but that could walk. I guess he needs to get out more, don't you think? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

lotsadox
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, Yo, I did. I told him I have two IVDD survivors at home, that although do not have control over their bodily functions, walk. He was surprised to say the least. He said he never saw an IVDD survivor (with surgery or without) that did not control bodily functions, but that could walk. I guess he needs to get out more, don't you think? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He sure does :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: There are several of them that show up at DROH events. There used to be one at our Dachshund Meetup group also. It's not THAT unusual

Rae
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
so glad to hear the good report! :appl::appl::appl:

Kasianni
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Just saw this post, sorry to hear Bambi, but glad to hear that she is on the mend and doing better. :bigrayz::bigrayz: