PDA

View Full Version : Rude Greetings

RustysMom
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Can anyone suggest any training tips for dogs who go crazy when someone knocks on the door? This is a problem Ive always had and most recent was over the holidays. When someone knocks on the back door the dogs start barking frantically and even though I know Im expectiong the company, like my parents, they all run to the back door which is 2 steps down to the landing and right there is the stairs to the basment too. When I let my parents in even though the boys know who my parents are they bark, Baxter growls and they jump jump jump up on them making it hard to get inside. Ive tried my best to stop them and Im sure Im doing it wrong. Brian and I have even done practice runs where one of us will go outside and knock. My concerns, its rude! Baxter growls and they all bark and with it being such a small space where the back door is and the stairs to the basment, somones bound to go down, like me or my guests.
Thanks!

Lisa
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
That is an awesome question! I totally suck at this. Mainly because we never get company, and I want the dogs to go nuts when someone barks at the door for security, and hopefully they go away. But I know what you mean when it is someone you want visiting you. I know Patrice has master it, I usually 1) put mine in their crates when we are expecting someone and let them out gradually after they are quiet. 2) Use the squirt bottle of doom.

lotsadox
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I had a lot of trouble with Scooter going nuts when someone came to the door. Read this thread (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=20851). I used some of these training methods and they work really well. He still barks (a lot) but he does know to go where I tell him, in the bedroom, outside, upstairs, whever. It takes some time but it does work.

RustysMom
01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you Lisa & Patrice. I will admit we dont have many visitors either and Ive been sitting here in lala land (at work :rolleyes:) thinking and that was something I thought about and decided to post.

Im with you too Lisa, I want them to bark like when someone crosses the yard or the mail just as a distraction to someone incase its a robber someday and when were not home but when we are home I want it a little more under control.

We have taught the dogs that if someones home and the other is coming home from work Brian or I will say " Mommy's coming home" or "Daddys coming home" and that they know, so when the door opens as one of us comes home, they are just excited to see us, not barking and they do stop at the steps to the landing and wait for me to come up but when its a friend or family member its another story. We have taught them too "Gammy Gampy's coming over" they know right away, thats my parents but sometimes you dont catch it in time to say before my parents go knocking and walking right in. Sometimes they run outside which it ok, its fenced but not when someone is carrying stuff inside. The one who is more at trouble with this is Baxter as he takes it to the next level, running like a mad man from wherever he was, running down the 2 steps to the landing, jumping onto the person while barking and growling, even if he knows who it is. Rusty barks at first then gets excited to see who it is then backs up. Odie Barks and just sits in the doggie bed in the kitchen which is at the top of the 2 steps. We tell our guests no touch no talk no eye contact, they respect it. Once our guests are completly inside the dogs calm down and greet our guests kindly.