PDA

View Full Version : Meet Simmie aka Cricket

Huggablehounds
01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I was at the feed store picking up rabbit feed and the cashier is holding a small white paper. We get up to her and she says I know you guys take in dachshunds. I said we do. She said that a man come in earlier and said he needed to find a home for a year old female red piebald with blue eyes. She said she had someone interested but wanted us to take her in. So we call the man and go to take a look at her. I asked him what colors her sire and dam was and he said both were dapples and she is a red pie. I knew she was a red double dapple was icey blue eyes and something was different about her eyes. Her name is Simmie, but we are going to call her Cricket. She really likes the sound of it and will come running to you.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/scoobydoo01785/HPIM1654.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/scoobydoo01785/HPIM1655.jpg

vferraro99
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
If both her parents were dapples she's a double dapple. Have her eyes checked by the vet, she may have vision problems (90% of double dapples do). She's beautiful, :congrats2:

Lisa
01-14-2010, 05:25 PM
She is beautiful :hearts: but definitely a double dapple (given her parents). I believe with all piebalds, they have to have white tips on their tails. If you have the contact information for the breeders, maybe you can send them some literature on why breeding dapples to dapples is...well...wrong.

This is from Duchwood Kennels (which is where Pixel is from). She has a great article on patters & colors. This is specific for piebalds:

http://www.12many.com/duchwood/colorpat.html
Piebald is simply a white-spotting pattern superimposed over any self color; there is no variation in the color of the solid spots or patches as there is in dapple Dachshunds. True piebalds never have blue eyes, always have white tail tips, and never have shading within their body spots. The amount of white on a piebald is variable, ranging from a full or partial white collar, white chest, belly, and feet, and a white tail tip (often incorrectly referred to as "Irish spotting"), to an almost pure white dog with a patch of color on the head and at the base of the tail. This wide range in the amount of white on a piebald is simply part of the piebald pattern and all variations are acceptable, although from a health standpoint, dogs with a lot of white, especially on the head and ears, are not desirable as there is the possibility of deafness.

Huggablehounds
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes I am sure that she is a double dapple. Well the owner was her breeder. I tried to tell him that she was a double dapple and not a pie. I said pies dont have blue eyes, so I dont know. He showed me all his dogs and all of them are not the colors he said or was told they are. I tried to tell him that the dogs were this color, but some people you just can't tell them things. I am going to bring her to the vet and have them checked out.

Thanks for the site. I love to learn more about the colors of dachshunds. I used to breed dapples. I never ever bred 2 dapples together. I have seen pups for other breeders born with no eyes. Cricket is very lucky to have eyes and the sight she does have.

Edelweiss
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
What a pretty girl she is.
THANKS for rescuing her! :cheer3:

LUVMYGUNNER
01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes please do educate him on why not to breed 2 dapples...
She is beautiful and :thankyou: for taking her.

Huggablehounds
01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Yes I will. I know that he is fixing almost all of his girls and boys. His only breeding female is a soild red so I think he is going to more out of his odd colors and on to reds. He is the result of other back yard breeders calling dogs the wrong color. My little Foxy girl is a black and tan dapple, but her papers say she is a black and tan pie, but I got her at the flea market so she has her own little story. I will have to tell you guys about her story in another thread.

LUVMYGUNNER
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
People ought to leave the breeding to professionals....I hate when I go to Walmart... there are lines of cars selling puppies...

Huggablehounds
01-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes they should. But people are always wanting to make money with the "rare" colors.

LexieLuvr
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
She is very pretty!! :thankyou: for rescuing her.

lotsadox
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
People ought to leave the breeding to professionals....I hate when I go to Walmart... there are lines of cars selling puppies...

I'm so glad that they outlawed selling any live animals along the road or in parking lots. They used to be on every street corner in good weather. I always had this urge to get out of my car and make a huge scene.

Huggablehounds
01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
They still sale pups on corners. I have seen atleast 4 different people in different cities do this. I really dislike some people.