PDA

View Full Version : Agility - chute question

alfina
03-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Not sure what happened to my posted question about the chute suggestions. But here is the problem. Despite being a dachshund that are supposed to love tunnels and such, Seb is scared of the chute. He was very cautious about going into an open tunnel but we worked it through.

Chute even when held open is a different story. He will go in but if the fabric moves ( wind, the person holding it moes, etc), he turns around and runs out. Even if he can clearly see me on the other end. So, any suggestions are welcome.

I ended up buying a chute and taking the sleeve off. I just don't want him to associate that obsticle with a bad thing and lock up on it. So, today I actually took his blanket and draped it over one end. He did fine with it brushing his back and one time even had to push his way out. But that is his blanket that he sleeps under. Now I need to fgure out a way to get him to go in with the regular fabric attached.

jenfer
03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
hmm... No idea. All I can think of is patient...lots of good treats while you wait for him on the other end??? We have only done the chute once.
And maybe I shouldn't give you any advise, because Gigi's new game for the past few classes are: "DO NOT GO INTO THE EVIL TUNNEL" :scratch: (thankfully yesterday there was no trouble :relieved: and she ran through it)

areese
03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I think what you are doing with the blanket is a really good idea! Could you now substitute a different fabric??....I used an old shower curtain draped over two jumps at home with Laika. She never had had a big problem with the chute though....just sometimes at trials if it's really windy she barks at it instead of going through.

Milo
03-19-2006, 09:26 PM
But that is his blanket that he sleeps under. Now I need to fgure out a way to get him to go in with the regular fabric attached.

Put the fabric in his bed and let him sleep on it to get used to it. That may do the trick.

Rob