PDA

View Full Version : What color is he!?!?!

whtboy
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
This is my lil guy. Name is Brewen and he is 13 weeks old.

I can't seem to find his color anywhere. Its a gorgeous color. My best description would be a velvet cream.... Both of his parents are red, so its quite interesting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brewen chillen on the bed
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/IMG_2544.jpg

Brewen with his parents
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/lilguy.jpg

whtboy
02-03-2010, 07:31 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/IMG_2496.jpg

whtboy
02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/IMG_2548-1.jpg

whtboy
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/Image0091.jpg

MyRescueCrew
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
He looks like a Cream dachshund. Cream is an actual coat color on them. Here's a website with different Cream dachshunds in all the different Cream shades:

http://www.countrygardendoxie.com/color_pics_cream.htm

He's a beautiful puppy!

Otto'sMom
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
That breeder makes double dapples~ :vomit:

AgileOllie
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Nope, not a cream. He's a red. There are soooo many different shades of red. Very cute little boy. Most of the dogs on that website are also considered red. You can tell it's not a great breeder because they are calling that soft-coated wire a "silky wire". No such animal. Wire haired dachshunds should have short, coarse coats. That's why many are stripped by hand. That particular dog has never been stripped, which is why he has a soft coat.

Also, there is no such thing as an "English Cream." Creams are creams. In a true cream, there can be NO red shading at all in the coat. A BYB will not produce a cream accidentally.

Here is an awesome website by an awesome, top breeder in the US. This website explains all colors and patterns in great detail.

http://www.12many.com/duchwood/colorpat.html

whtboy
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Great thanks alot MyRescueCrew,AgileOllie.

Otto's mom.. too funny! hehe.

Yes he is an awesome lil guy. Extremely smart, well behaved and playful! ; )

areese
02-03-2010, 07:55 PM
He actually is a red, not a cream. He is a clear red, that means no black hairs in his coat. True creams are not reddish and red dogs can be any shade from a red/mahogany to a strawberry blond.
He's a beautiful color!!!! I esp like how he has dark nose and eyes even though he is a light color....I think that looks soooooo pretty.
he is just adorable :love98::love98::love98:
You can read about colors here:
http://www.12many.com/duchwood/colorpat.html

oceangirls
02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
:awww: Your pup is gorgeous. I agree he is "officially" a red, but very light. I've always thought it was neat how many different variations of red are possible in doxies. My Angel (in my signature pic) is also a "red" but she has such a heavy black overlay, she looks brown. My first doxie was a red with chocolate on him (we called it his "racing stripe" :D ).

whtboy
02-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, according to 12many site he is a red. Makes sense since both his parents are obvious reds! hehe.

:thankyou: Thanks alot guys! I really appreciate the help. :thankyou:

HokieMom
02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
AgileOllie...

Thanks for the link to the article. Boy... do I have a LOT to learn about Doxies! :duh:

Anyone have questions about Border Collies?? THOSE I know about! :)

Anatresia
02-03-2010, 08:05 PM
He is beautiful! I was going to say light red, but you beat me to it! I have darker reds- both of mine have a black stripe down their backs. He is absolutely adorable!

lotsadox
02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
He may darken as he gets older. Years ago when I was buying puppies instead of adopting my dogs from rescue, I had a red who was very light colored as a pup. She was always an interesting color of red, but did darken when she was mature.

Double dapples are really not humorous. It's very bad to breed them. Many of them are deaf and/or blind.

Here is a great article on DDs http://www.dachshund.org/article_double_dapple.html

MyRescueCrew
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
What breeder makes double dapples? Y'all lost me.

AgileOllie, I realized after I posted that both of the parents of that puppy are red (so much for paying attention, LOL), so what you said about being a shade of red makes perfect sense.

And that puppy is seriously precious! :D

TheDoxieHaus
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that true creams are only long coated.

Otto'sMom
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
What breeder makes double dapples? Y'all lost me.

The one you linked to.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree that you have a lovely little red there. However, the parents color does not always dictate the puppies color. Sophie and Lili's mother is a solid black and tan and their father is a black and tan dapple. The litter consisted of 1 solid black and tan, 2 black and tan dapples, one solid chocolate and tan and two chocolate and tan dapples. All three of the chocolates have liver nose too even though both mom and dad have regular black nose.

MyRescueCrew
02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
The one you linked to.

:wtf2:

Didn't even realize that was a breeder, honestly. I googled "Dachshund Cream Coat Colors" and that was the first page came up.

Oops. :duh:

AgileOllie
02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I agree that you have a lovely little red there. However, the parents color does not always dictate the puppies color. Sophie and Lili's mother is a solid black and tan and their father is a black and tan dapple. The litter consisted of 1 solid black and tan, 2 black and tan dapples, one solid chocolate and tan and two chocolate and tan dapples. All three of the chocolates have liver nose too even though both mom and dad have regular black nose.

All chocolates, regardless of what the parents are, should have a liver nose. One of the parents must have carried the chocolate gene. It doesn't take 1 or 2 chocolates to produce a chocolate, but it's unlikely that two black and tans who do not carry the chocolate gene to produce a chocolate pup. The combination that you're talking about is not uncommon. Also, as we all know, dapple is a pattern, not a color, however, there are different color dapples. (NO such thing as a sliver dapple, though.)

Creams, though, are a different story. Creams originated in the UK, and unless the parents or grandparents came from the UK with the color cream, then it's not a real cream. BYBs will NOT produce a real cream.

When you start talking about dominant and/or recessive genes, then at least one parent must carry that gene. As in dapples- two solids can not produce a dapple, but one dog may appear to be solid, but have dappling that has faded from puppy-hood, or may even have dappling in the mouth, that is unseen.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
All chocolates, regardless of what the parents are, should have a liver nose. One of the parents must have carried the chocolate gene. It doesn't take 1 or 2 chocolates to produce a chocolate, but it's unlikely that two black and tans who do not carry the chocolate gene to produce a chocolate pup. The combination that you're talking about is not uncommon. Also, as we all know, dapple is a pattern, not a color, however, there are different color dapples. (NO such thing as a sliver dapple, though.)

Creams, though, are a different story. Creams originated in the UK, and unless the parents or grandparents came from the UK with the color cream, then it's not a real cream. BYBs will NOT produce a real cream.

When you start talking about recessive genes, then at least one parent must carry that recessive gene. As in dapples- two solids can not produce a dapple, but one dog may appear to be solid, but have dappling that has faded from puppy-hood, or may even have dappling in the mouth, that is unseen.

Yup...all that is true. Except you are the first person I have heard say the dapple gene is a recessive gene. It is just a "lethal" gene. Both parents of my girls had chocolates in the line. I was just saying that the parent's color did not always play into the puppies color...just their genes.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for stating there is no such thing as a silver dapple. It drives me absolutely crazy when people insist that is the color of their dogs, even after it is explained to them!

areese
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
That is almost exactly like what Laika's litter was! How funny. I don't remember about the noses...her litter also had a mix of long and smooths. Both parents were smooth.
But all that means is that one or both parents carried the gene for long, also carried for chocolate and tan. there are genes that you see and others that are just carried. I am not sure if you can get creams from red...seems like I read that true creams come from creams or from black and cream. Although I see a lot of dilute reds sold as creams of various sorts...called Red Cream, or American Cream or other made up names.
I still can't get over that Sophie and Lili's litter was the same as Laika's. that's just weird!

areese
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think dapple is a lethal gene. breeding a dapple to a solid creates no problems. Single dapples don't have problems. it's just the dapple to dapple. and it is present in many breeds except they call it merle. I wonder why dachshunds are dapples...
I don't think it is a recessive gene though.. I actually think it's a dominant one.
but genetics are so confusing and complicated to me.
The gene for dapple is dominant over the gene for non dapple. As an example, we'll say that the sire flips over the dapple gene and the dam flips over the non dapple gene. The two genes are compared and the dapple gene goes into the winning pile...the part you will see on the puppy. The non dapple gene will go into the losing pile...the part you don't see on the puppy. Every time a dapple gene is passed on to a puppy, that puppy will be dappled because a dapple gene will always be dominant
that quote is from here
http://www.dachshund.org/article_double_dapple.html

JuneyTrixie
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
What a beautiful boy! I'm wondering if he has some blue in him?

If you want to avoid all breeders that breed for double dapples, this page will give you the names of the double dapple breeders:

http://www.countrygardendoxie.com/color_pics_doubledapple.htm

ScarletBegonias
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
OMG that is seriously one of the cutest pups I've ever seen!:love98::hearts::love98::hearts:

michelehbc
02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
OMG that is seriously one of the cutest pups I've ever seen!:love98::hearts::love98::hearts:

1. Bailey Just read that and he is PISSED!

2. OMG CUTE PUPPYYYYYYYYY :hearts::hearts:

ScarletBegonias
02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
1. Bailey Just read that and he is PISSED!

2. OMG CUTE PUPPYYYYYYYYY :hearts::hearts:

I said "one of" not "the" Bailey is still one of may all time favorites and was the cutest pup ever

AgileOllie
02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I initially wrote recessive, but meant dominant. I edited my previous post. My fingers got ahead of me. :)

Yup...all that is true. Except you are the first person I have heard say the dapple gene is a recessive gene. It is just a "lethal" gene. Both parents of my girls had chocolates in the line. I was just saying that the parent's color did not always play into the puppies color...just their genes.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for stating there is no such thing as a silver dapple. It drives me absolutely crazy when people insist that is the color of their dogs, even after it is explained to them!

AgileOllie
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
What a beautiful boy! I'm wondering if he has some blue in him?

If you want to avoid all breeders that breed for double dapples, this page will give you the names of the double dapple breeders:

http://www.countrygardendoxie.com/color_pics_doubledapple.htm

A dog can't be two colors, IE: red and black and tan, or red and blue; both are colors, not patterns, so he can only be one or the other. In this case, he is red.

Patt
02-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Whatever the color of your boy is... He IS adorable. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Alex's Mom
02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Whatever the color of your boy is... He IS adorable. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

:ditto: :D :hearts::hearts:

See now, I thought Jules was a cream, cuz she has no red in her coat at all. (I wonder how the isabella stuff fits in with that...? ) However, she did come from a mill, so who knows what the heck her parents were? James is def. a red with black overtones (is that wild boar??). Colours confuse me! As far as I'm concerned, I guess they're all gorgeous :D

Tex
02-04-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm going to stick with he is "adorable" colored with a side of precious thrown in too!:love98::love98::love98:

Rae
02-04-2010, 08:58 AM
AgileOllie...

Thanks for the link to the article. Boy... do I have a LOT to learn about Doxies! :duh:

Anyone have questions about Border Collies?? THOSE I know about! :)

my DH has had borders and we LOVE them - great dogs all around, great personality and WONDERFUL with kiddos, if they don't mind being herded. lol
Our last one was named Charlie and he eventually went on to a guy who was OCD about BC field trials.

amazingly SMART doggies. like, world domination scary smart....

lotsadox
02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm going to stick with he is "adorable" colored with a side of precious thrown in too!:love98::love98::love98:

I'll agree with that! :love98:

vferraro99
02-04-2010, 11:11 AM

:ditto:, but I think that he is a red.

Claudine
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
What a beautiful, beautiful little angel!!:hearts::love98::hearts: That third pic. just makes me MELT!! If I was more irresponsible than I already am, i'd run out & adopt another DOXIE BABY!!! Enjoy him; he's precious!!:hearts::love98::hearts:

whtboy
02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys! He is extremely handsome. He is my first Dog "on my own" and I couldn't be happier.

My next hurdle / question, is whether or not to get him fixed. I'm having a tough time deciding... :scratch:

Here is another of him.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/IMG_2490.jpg

Alex's Mom
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Um, let me be the very first (but not, I suspect, the last) to say Hell Yes!!!!!!!!! There are oh so many reasons not to keep him intact, not least testicular cancer when he gets older. He will be a happier, less pushy, less inclined to roam after females in heat, and healthier dog all round. You don't intend to breed him (do you.) so no need to keep him intact.

Can you tell you're on a board full of rescuers who see the sad consequence of people not spaying and neutering every single day?????

:hug99::hug99:

whtboy
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/IMG_2635.jpg

lotsadox
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Definitely get him neutered! Why wouldn't you?

whtboy
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, lol.. I've noticed that.

Although breeding him would be interesting etc, No I dont intend to. He is an indoor dog and an "only child" for now.. hehe.

I am leaning towards getting him fixed.

lotsadox
02-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Here's an article from Almost Home Rescue with reasons to spay or neuter your dog.

http://www.almosthomerescue.org/spayneuter/spayneuter.htm

Lisa
02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
For the MILLIONS (yes millions), that get euthanized every year, over 11,000 dog and cats died TODAY because they do not have homes. Please get him neutered.

whtboy
02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Im convinced. Thanks everyone. ; )

Where is everyone from? Im in Southern California.

Mama S.
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
I, too, have dogs of odd colors! This is Hershey! He was sold as a chocolate -now I know that to be chocolate he has to back liver nose and nails. As you can clearly see - he doesn't. Becki, who is a shower/breeder said her best guess is a dilute red/tan dapple. Now? He's almost bald - just one more reason to fix your little man= Only the pros need to carry on blood lines - lines that they watch and work carefully not randomly without a backward glance as to what comes later.
That being said- your baby is beautiful and clearly loved!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2801/4331369864_daa899857d_o.jpg

LUVMYGUNNER
02-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Spay and neuter--I see to many puppies sold in the Walmart parking lots--some usually carry parvo/distemper...I'm especially upset when it is pitbulls-they can be bought by one person and taken across the boarder for pit fighting...I live 75 miles from the border.

Alex's Mom
02-05-2010, 07:55 AM

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I'm on the opposite corner of the continent, about as far away as you can get from where you are and not have to swim...near Halifax, Nova Scotia. We have a few other members in CA!

yourmomsage
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't have any in-depth knowledge of coats or colors, just wanted to say :congrats2: your new baby is BEAUTIFUL!

vferraro99
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I'm close to you, in Las Vegas, NV.

lotsadox
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
:thankyou: for making the right decision.

I'm from Houston in the Lone Star State http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/myjpegs06/texas.gif

whtboy
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Here is a pic from last weekend. Took him to the race track with me.. heh heh.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/whtboy/Brewenattrack.jpg

lotsadox
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
He's very pretty and definitely red. :hearts:

whtboy
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks... yeah I think he'll look more and more like a red as time goes on.

He's so much fun! ; )

Patt
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh my such a pretty boy. :love98:

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
It looks like he has that crushed velvet soft coat. That usually means there is a longhair in his family line. He really is very pretty.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Red...and his color can get a bit darker as he grows.
He is a very cute pup! Looks just like my FILs Scooter:hearts:

Anatresia
02-11-2010, 08:34 AM
He's so pretty in the sun!

I'm from the Buffalo-Niagara area- the frozen tundra at this time of year.