PDA

View Full Version : Mickey the budgie

RDavidP
02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
My little budgie (parakeet) passed away unexpectanly this morning. Last night we went to bed and he seemed ok. This morning, my wife found him laying on his side in his cage. Little birds rarely show symptoms that something is wrong until it is way too late.

Mickey, you were a sweet little bird, and we will miss hearing you sing even when we are on the phone or during a movie when you would sing the loudest. You have now been rejoined with your little Minnie and are no doubt singing to her again. (Minnie was his little mate and he would sing to her and preen her all day long. She past away a couple of months after we got them during a vet visit. She was getting her beak trimmed. I noticed that she was not sitting on her perch right, and turned out she had a belly tumor. The stress from that and the beak trimmed was too much for her.)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_0002.jpg

Alex's Mom
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
So sorry to hear this, David. He singing at the bridge, I have no doubt. Godspeed little one! :candle2: and many :hug99::hug99: for your hearts.

Lisa
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Awww, I am sorry. RIP sweet boy. :angel:

lotsadox
02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm so sorry, David. Godspeed little one :angel:

vferraro99
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
David, I'm so sorry to hear this. R.I.P. little one :angel:

RDavidP
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Mickey was my third bird I guess you could say. I had one budgie named Buddy that I had for about 5 years before he passed away, and a few months later I got Mickey and Minnie. I was never able to get Mickey finger trained, meaning he would step up onto my finger. I was able to get Minnie to do it and was hoping to use her to get Mickey to follow, but Minnie died a few months after we got her. Any time I tried to get my hand in Mickey's cage, he would freak out and a few times we thought he died on us during the freak out. I was able to finger train my first budgie fairly easily and tried to use the same techniques on Mickey. My first budgie, Buddy, would come out of his cage and would sit on my shoulder all day long if you let him. Even though we couldn't do that to Mickey we still attached to him and enjoyed him in the ways he would let us enjoy him. As with most budgies, he was a little clown and loved to ring his bells that he had, constantly. :rotfl:

He loved his little Minnie. As I said earlier, he would snuggle up to her on the perch. Even though they each had their own food bowl, he would let her eat first. He would sing and warble to her all day and they would preen each other. Once she passed away, he didn't seem right afterwards. I think he pined for her. I just wish we were not getting hammered with snow right now. I am not sure what to do with his little body. We have him in a bag outside for now, but not where the snow is blowing in. Right now all the vet offices and everything are closed.

SaxLady
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
How sad! I am so very sorry. He was a pretty bird.

doxrox
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
:symp1: So sorry to hear about Mickey's passing.

Rafi
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm very sorry Dave, I've owned Budgies before, and just like Dachshunds for their small size they have quite the character.

iluvmolly
02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
R.i.p to sweet little bird Mickey!

oceangirls
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm so sorry about your little guy. What a beautiful bird!!!

:candle: for Mickey.

Jacqueline
02-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your little guy. I had Ralph, who was a real character. I am sure he will be happy to join forces with Mickey.

bittyup
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I am so sorry! Mickey is such a beautiful bird. He looks alot like my Captain.I love listening to parakeet chatter. MIckey is probably chattering away to his MInnie on the bridge.:symp1::symp1:

Rileybugg
02-12-2010, 03:27 AM
He sounds like he was quite a joy to have around. Quite the handsome fellow. He and Minnie can now sing to you from the Bridge. :candle9: