PDA

View Full Version : Gave my daughter 'THE TALK' yesterday

quavec
03-06-2006, 10:40 AM
No, not that talk (please God, give me until she hits 11 at least before I have to do that :crossfin: ). But the one about BYBs and Puppy Mills.

DH is opening a store in Pensacola and we all went to check out the progress. Nearby is a Target (:bow1: ) and a pet store. We went into both and while in the pet store, saw in the back some mini dachshunds for sale - $550.00 each. My daughter wanted on so very bad (as did my son) but I told her no. She accepted that answer - until we left the store - and then asked me why we couldn't get the puppy. We headed to the Marble Slab, grabbed some ice cream cones (DH was still at his store working) and I explained the whole issue of buying pets from petstores. She was so sad and heartbroken to know that some people only want to make money and don't care who purchases the puppy or what happens to the puppy long after the sale.

THEN, she asked me "Mom, doesn't (relative's name here) have dachshund puppies and sell them?" I said "yes, baby, she does and we can just hope that she soon stops or learns more about the whole process before she has another litter (not going to happen)".

It was a good talk - and my son added his two cents of course - "can we still go get the puppy?" :rolleyes:

Mama S.
03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
:appl: Mom! Great that you take the time to educate the little ones. Hopefully they will learn and spread the word and eventually there will be nore more BYB's or puppymills!!
Sandi

Nancy
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
AWESOME talk! I only wish more parents were able to see how things really are and have the same conversation you did! :appl:

Alex's Mom
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
:banana: :banana: HUZZAH!!! Don't you just love it when those teachable moments appear out of nowhere? Well done, mom! That's how the word is spread...:appl: :appl: (Now maybe a word to the petstore owner is in order...? :)

quavec
03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it was a good moment, classic Norman Rockwell type thing. Very very rare :rotfl: It didn't last long. We were back to bickering like....well like two eight year olds before long :rotfl:

Bella's Mom
03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Good job mom! It's normally best to be up front with children especially when they can learn from it. :appl:

lotsadox
03-06-2006, 04:13 PM
You are such a good mom to take the time to educate your kids about the awful things that some people do. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Pokeys Mom
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
:appl: It sounds like you did a great job!! Education is key! :banana: :boogie: :banana: :boogie: