PDA

View Full Version : Shari Johannes - Dog Pack Rescue

Chris
02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know if any of you have worked with her or knew her, but I am sad to say that Shari Johannes at Dog Pack Rescue in Georgia has tragically died, unfortunately of her own hand. She was found yesterday, and her father made the heartbreaking decision to take her off the ventilator this morning. Please pray for her family. All was known is that her house was in foreclosure and she was winding down the rescue, but no one knew it was as bad as it was.

There are 18 dogs that now need a place to go. Her rescue helped a lot of great dogs whose "time was up" in Georgia shelters. Her death comes as a great shock to many and her loss to the rescue community is also great. If anyone knows anyone experiencing the feeling of overwhelm or depression, please reach out to them. It is never too late to make a difference. And if there is anyone that you have been hesitating to tell that you love them or that they matter, don't wait.

LUVMYGUNNER
02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
This is so sad...
Hope someone can take in her dogs.:crossfin:

vferraro99
02-19-2010, 05:41 PM
This is terribly sad... it's so unfortunate that she made this decision, as there's always hope. Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for the dogs and thinking of her family.

lotsadox
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
That's very sad. Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for her family and dogs

Mama S.
02-19-2010, 11:19 PM
this never helps but hurts even more:( so very very sad. Will light a special candle!

SaxLady
02-19-2010, 11:24 PM
So sad and heartbreaking! She is now on the other side with the beloved dogs who have passed.

Rafi
02-20-2010, 02:24 PM
That is sad, a permanent solution for a short term problem.

Sophie and Lili's Mom
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
This is very sad but those of us in rescue really need to learn from it. You HAVE to know yourself and stop or take a break from time to time. Also, as hard as it is, you have to accept that you cannot save them all and you have to say NO sometimes.

I have a friend who ran a wonderful rescue but she had a nervous breakdown and had to turn it over to someone because she never found her stopping point. I know I am better for rescue because I take breaks and step away from time to time.

oceangirls
02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
That's awful :(. So sorry for her family and friends!

I know lots of little ones will be at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for her :hearts:

mom2reds
02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
This is very sad but those of us in rescue really need to learn from it. You HAVE to know yourself and stop or take a break from time to time. Also, as hard as it is, you have to accept that you cannot save them all and you have to say NO sometimes.

ITA. Rescue in itself can be stressful add on foreclosure,etc. and it can be very hard to see an "upside". Please, if you know someone in rescue, check in with them see if there is anything you can do to lighten their load. Maybe all they need is to hear a friendly voice, or get a cup of coffee with someone.

To all of you rescuers on the board I want to say thank you, you are my heros. You work your butts off to save animals lives and rarely get recognized for all the hard work you do. I know recognition is not why you are in rescue, but it is still nice to know that your efforts are appreciated.

bittyup
02-21-2010, 01:17 AM
This is very sad.Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:for her family and friends and adoption rayz for her dogs:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::symp1:

Logan's Human
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
This is so tragic. I didn't know Shari but this particular story has touched my heart and continues to trouble me since I first heard about it. I felt like I had to write something about it, but I wish that there had been something I or someone could have done before it was too late.

No One Rescued This Dog Rescuer (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=311026318334)

:sosad:

Rileybugg
02-22-2010, 02:47 AM
She will be greeted at The Bridge by many.

http://marlenegowen.tripod.com/rescue_version.htm

:candle3::symp1:

Chris
02-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Actually, often when this happens there is other things at work. I unfortunately went through something like this with a relative a few years ago and to this day there is an explanation but still no "answers." That is why I especially feel for her family. There is no simple explanation such as money or temporary overwhelm - it is a rift much deeper than that.

The funeral is Thursday at the McGuire, Jennings & Miller Oaknoll Chapel/Funeral Home in Rome, Georgia. I won't be attending due to distance.

here is the list of who still needs a place to go

http://www.billieboyd.com/dogpackdogs.htm

LUVMYGUNNER
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Hope they find homes/fosters for all those dogs...:crossfin: