PDA

View Full Version : Lepto

LUVMYGUNNER
03-06-2006, 09:00 PM
It's time for Petunia's yearly update on vaccine's and told the office mgr. to make sure no LEPTO and she told me that my vet does not give it anymore-to many problems. He also pulled ADVANTIX which I used and had no problems with, but one of the dogs there, got burned from it real bad, and had to have skin grafts.

oceangirls
03-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I think it depends on the risk of lepto in your area whether there is any justification to give it. I don't give it to mine and our vet is fine with that.

What flea/tick protection did your vet recommend instead?

alfina
03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I used Advantix before and never had problems.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-06-2006, 09:10 PM
I think she said Frontline. I realy had good luck with the Advantix though, but will go over to Frontline now. Petunia still needs a Corona and Bordodella. I get the Bordodella cause we go to Petsmart and Petco alot and take them with us, plus they go to the groomers almost every month.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I use Frontline. Works great.

Patt
03-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Gee I haven't heard of any problems with Advantix, I wonder if it was used according to directions. I have previously used Advantix with no problems. I use Advantage on Trixie and my cats.

My vet does not give Lepto to small dogs and only gives the Lepto injection if the guardian requests it.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Patt I was wondering the same when she told me the dog got burned real bad, wonder if they rubbed it in. I guess he is not selling it anymore cause of that.

Mama S.
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
We use Revolution. Supposed to handle fleas, ticks & heartworm all in one!
Sandi

Bella's Mom
03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Some of you may remember Bella had a terrible reaction to the lepto shot last year and it broke my heart. We had to give it to her because we lived next to a nature preserve with lots of deer, rabbits, mosquitos, etc. but the good news is we'll be moving in a month (bought a house) and she won't have to have it!

LUVMYGUNNER
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Kelli that is good news for Bella.

oceangirls
03-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I do remember that happening to Bella!! :( Poor little swollen puppy! I'm glad she won't have to worry about that again.

I was thinking the same thing about the Advantix as Patt mentioned... the owner might have rubbed it into the skin or maybe used too much. My vet doesn't sell it either, though. They also recommend Frontline Plus (which is what I've used).

LUVMYGUNNER
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
They told me about that before X-mas when I bought the Advantix, and I told them the owners might have rubbed it in thinking it would work better and it acctualy burned the dogs skin, so when I asked this week if they had any left they said no, I need to get something by the end of this month and I guess I will go with Frontline plus.