PDA

View Full Version : Snickers Joins The Family At The Bridge

Two Red Smooth's
03-17-2010, 01:37 AM
We got a dachshund because a friend of Joes had the perfect dog...a red mini smooth Peanut. Peanut had a tragic death about 5 years ago. The family waited 2 years and got another female mini doxie...Snickers.

We got the news last night Snickers was put down on Saturday. She was picked up and dropped by a Hawk....according to my husband she had 5 crystallized (he assures me the word was crystallized) disc. The family was told there was no hope for her...even with surgery they were told she's still have constant pain. The mother and daughter are currently out of the country on Spring Break...after a long phone call the family decided it was best to put her down.

I feel horrible, and I'm not even sure I agree with the vet...believe me I'm the first one to agree should the time come I will make the best informative decision I can for my furrykids. I have to wonder though if another vet would have given her better odds or offered different treatment. She was only 3 years old.

Rest In Peace Snickers...and fun free with Peanut.

Jacqueline
03-17-2010, 01:50 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. And this is one of the reasons why when I hear the hawks hunting I make the girls come in. :sosad:

SaxLady
03-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Words could never express how terribly sorry I am. I have been warning people about hawks and they don't believe me. Rest in peace sweet little Doxie.:angel::angel::angel:

Alex's Mom
03-17-2010, 06:41 AM
That is so tragic! And ITA, I would have gotten a second opinion before making this decision. Hawks and eagles and owls scare me to death...I never let the kids out without keeping an eye on them, and keep my crowbar by the door just in case.

:candle2: Snickers. Godspeed :(.

Jacqueline
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
I recently heard owls in the area, and there was something on the news about one going after a dog. I really do not like taking the girls out at night, and dh thinks it is just because I don't want to be bothered. I told him the other day that there are owls, big dogs, coyotes and now those damned burmese pythons to think about....and most of our yard is dark at night. He is much bigger than I am....6'3", and more likely to keep them at bay at night.

So, put lights out there to cover the whole yard, and show me how to carry my gun and hold onto four leash handles at the same time. Not to mention, let one of them come after the girls and watch how fast I break that law that protects those birds.

No one should have to suffer the heartbreak of seeing a "protected" bird steal their child, skinned or furred.

Loren
03-17-2010, 08:51 AM
How tragic. RIP Snickers! :candle:

Barb
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Godspeed Snickers.... :candle: My heart goes out to the family who couldn't be with her....

lotsadox
03-17-2010, 09:32 AM
This is so sad. Run free, little Snickers. :candle4:

vferraro99
03-17-2010, 09:37 AM
What a horrible thing to happen! I agree that I would have sought a second opinion. I never heard of a "crystallized" vertebrae, and now I'll make sure to ask my vet about it...

R.I.P. Snikers, go play with the others waiting for us at the Bridge.

TheDoxieHaus
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Rest In Peace Little Snickers. :candle:

bsquared
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
That is horrible! I am so, so sorry! :hug99: One of the towns in southern CT is having a problem with hawks. Someone had their doxie snatched by a hawk.

RIP, Snickers. :symp1:

Lisa
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
:sosad: I am so sorry. My condolences to the family. RIP Snickers.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-17-2010, 07:00 PM
RIP :candle4:
Nicole I think I would have gone ahead and got surgery for the dog... and then see what happened. Gunner was only given a 50% chance... and we took it...I later found out that most vets..do not give high statistics since they don't want to get your hopes to high..

Mama S.
03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
So sad:( I have a hawk that lives in the woods behind us and is always flying over. I don't have much to worry about - he's probably rupture something trying to fly off with one of my heffalumps. Still watch though.

Snickers - play with Petey & Stinker for me till I get there!

oceangirls
03-17-2010, 09:25 PM
This is so heartbreaking :(

:candle: for the little girl

Patt
03-18-2010, 04:11 AM
I am so sorry. RIP Snickers :candle3:

Rileybugg
03-20-2010, 03:14 AM
:candle2: :candle98:

Tex
03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Godspeed sweet Snickers :symp1:

bittyup
03-21-2010, 06:41 PM
OMg I am sooo sorry. How very sad. Even though I am feeling bad that the hawks are being pushed put of their hunting grounds I do Not want them taking our pets. Nero and Doxie would probably give them hernias but I do not even let the cats out on the deck anymore.

Jacqueline I just saw a special on all the animals wrecking havoc in FLorida.Why burmese pythons and NIle monitors are available for sale is beyond me. They always get released when they get to big.

Rest in Peace Dear Snickers. Run free. You are loved.:symp1::candle: