PDA

View Full Version : Okay, why the sneezing and snorting??

Jacqueline
03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I called the vet this morning to ask if dogs get sinus problems, since the girls have been waking up the last few days sneezing and snorting like a couple old men with sinus problems. She said yes, and maybe they had allergies....to give them some benedryl. Hmmmmm.

So now, I'm thinking.......only Daisy has had a change in food. I haven't changed laundry soaps or fabric softener. I didn't change my soap or shampoo. Nor did I switch dish soaps. Now I am trying to think dog nose level. Bird food.....haven't changed that.....they both think they need to supplement their diets with anything the feathered guys are willing to toss them (just how many times a day does everyone else vacuum :rotfl:). So why all of a sudden with the sneezing and snorting?

It is definitely worse when they first wake up. They don't seem to have any breathing problems, other than this. They don't do it all the time....like now...for instance, I have one sleeping on either side of me, and they are so quite, I check to make sure they are still breathing (yeah, I am one of THOSE moms, lol).

Any suggestions of what I might be missing that could have changed in a week? I feel so bad for them.

Alex's Mom
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I know Alex can get quite snuffily and snorty when the pollen is high or her mother hasn't dusted in a while:ashamed: ...sort of a form of hayfever. Maybe that's part of it? (If people WILL insist on living in warm climates in the winter... :rotfl:)

Courtney
03-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Your new girl came from the shelter, right? It's possible she picked up a little something there. It is probably nothing to worry about if they seem fine otherwise - just like a cold in humans.

Patt
03-08-2006, 01:54 PM
ITA with Courtney & Alex's mom. Doesn't sound serious but keep an eye on those two, if it gets worse call your vet again. It doesn't sound like reverse sneezing but here is a couple of links so you know what to look for in the future.

http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/revsneez.htm

http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html

Alex's Mom
03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Those links are great, Patt, and clear up something I've wondered about for a long time. Alex does the reverse sneezing thing every once in a while, and it is a bit hair raising for mom!! :scared1: I always knew it was caused by a narrowed or possible even a collapsed trachea, but didn't know how to stop it...usually just massage her throat and speak calmly to her, which doesn't generally work all that well. I've even tried blowing up her nose (do not try this at home...very very gross thing to do :yuck: ) but it doesn't usually work. I'll have to try the pinching the nostrils thing next time. I do :hearts: this board! Such good stuff here!!

Bella's Mom
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm not knowledgeable enough to provide any advice but I do hope the girls are feeling better soon! :rayz: :rayz:

Jacqueline
03-08-2006, 11:42 PM
I picked up benydryl from Walmart tonight, and if they start it again in the morning, I will give them each a pill and see if it seems to help. They haven't been snorted and sneezing so much this afternoon or today.

I swear these two will be the death of me. I had them in the parking lot, walking around while dh was in the store, and of course, they found old broken chicken bones. They double teamed me, and while I was making one give me the bone, the other was grabbing one. I finally dragged them off, boneless. I got to thinking this morning how much time I spend with my hand in a dog's mouth lately. We got back to the car, and there was another mad scramble between them to grab something laying on the ground.

I saw on the news about the dog that swallowed the butcher knife. If I hadn't, I would not have believed what these two were trying to eat this time....a huge screw!!! The head on it is about 5/8 inches and it was about 2 1/2 inches long, and the body was thick. Really, doxies WILL eat anything!!

That was it. I got them back into the carriers, faced them toward each other, and told them ""NAP TIME!" Then I just sat in the car waiting for Dh to get back to the car. Did I mention that I might take up drinking in the near future :rotfl: :rotfl:

Patt
03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
That was it. I got them back into the carriers, faced them toward each other, and told them ""NAP TIME!" Then I just sat in the car waiting for Dh to get back to the car. Did I mention that I might take up drinking in the near future :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry I had to laugh I can just picture the scene. These two are definitely going to keep you on your toes. :rotfl: Here's to ya. :cocktail:

I guess the next step is to teach "drop or leave it" command... Good luck :)