PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide

LexiRay
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone..

I was just wondering how does everyone feel about rawhide bones? Do you feel safe giving these to your puppers? If so what kinds do you usually give.

Do you make sure its always made in the USA?

Thanks for any responses:thankyou:

Lisa
03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2: LexiRay!!

For me, I don't give rawhide because Pogo is a gulper and I've had to pull lumps of Rawhide out of his throat once.

I do give bullwinkles, flossies, chicken strips, Icelandic Fish skins & kongs..but no rawhide or greenies.

Again, WELCOME! We hope to hear lots more about you and your pupper(s)

Helen
03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
We used to give rawhide, but if Charlie ate too much we would see the effects...I'm sure you know what I mean. :D

So now he gets nylabones. No tummy problems and he loves them just as much.

Patt
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
:hello: and :welcome11 to DLC look forward to hearing more about your Dachsie(s). :)

I do not give Trixie rawhides but something similiar, C.E.T. chews and only on special occasions. Also NO more Greenies after reading about Burt. If you do rawhides please make sure they are made in U.S.A. If you wish to give a chew toy I suggest a KONG, stuffed and frozen or plain.

A few of links on rawhide with lots of info.

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id66.html

http://nmnm.essortment.com/rawhidechew_rbzt.htm

Be Aware of What Your Dog is Playing With
http://www.barkbytes.com/care/care005.htm

Read about Burt,
http://www.burtscause.com/

Jacqueline
03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
I let Taffy have ONLY the compressed rawhide bones....the plain ones....that they sell at Petco. They don't break off into sharp pieces like regular rawhide bones can.

No greenies, not ever, no way.

Alex's Mom
03-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm with Helen...I used to give Alex rawhides when she was young, but she'd have them swallowed whole, and what happened next wasn't pretty. She also choked on one once, which was the end of the rawhide experiiment for her! So how she only gets nylabones, because she inhales anything even mildy edible to everyone's (including her!) dismay!

Otto'sMom
03-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I give mine all sorts of rawhides, and have never had any troulble. As with most products, I go for made in the USA.
I have never had any trouble with Greenies either, my pups have enjoyed them as often as possible in the past 2 years.
And strangely enough, no one has choked on a chicken bone either.:scratch: Sunday, they'll all be getting Sonic Hamburgers and Cheese Sticks and Tator Tots to celebrate!:cheer2:

Michelle
03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I stopped giving Rawhide about a month ago, no problems with them, just read too much scary stuff and I am not sure how to tell if they are really made in the U.S.A.

I buy Achilles Tendons from a local pet feed store, they are more expensive $1.99 for one, but I pick out the real big ones and I buy them in bulk, the girls love them to death!!.

I am going to put an order in at www.sitstay.com and they have some reall neat stuff there too.

oceangirls
03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I use CET chews under close supervision. I buy the extra-large ones (for my 11lb and 14lb girls :) ) and they get to chew on them while I groom them, then I take them away. I also use the compressed rawhide sometimes, but products differ - the twisted stick form worked well, but my dogs were able to separate big pieces off the bone-shaped ones.

Tried Flossies (beef tendon) but they ate them too fast and Angel got sick.

Bully sticks are another good option, although some of them REALLY smell.

Kongs are great, but I can't really give a Kong while grooming since it involves rolling the thing around the room to get the treats out :D

:welcome7: to DLC, by the way!

Jen
03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
:welcome2: LexiRay!

My Tasha has rawhide chips the size and thickness of a potato chip. And sometimes chopped processed rawhide made into a stick shape. Always made in the USA.

But mostly she gets flossies, wishbones, achilles tendons, bully sticks, and fish skin chews.

No greenies EVER, as she's allergic to wheat.

And it bears repeating, always supervise them when giving a chew treat.

quavec
03-09-2006, 03:21 PM
We rarely give Cricket rawhide. He hasn't had one in months. But, when we do, it is USA made. I prefer giving him nylabones. His body doesn't like greenies - HE does, but his little belly doesn't, which I'm glad for!

jenfer
03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Gigi gets rawhide sticks, she can finish one in about a minute. She also get flossies...she looooooooooooooooves them. And no more greenies for her even though she likes them.

jennie_c_d
03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
We don't do rawhides, b/c they can contain nasty chemical preservatives, and are a choking hazard. Teenie broke a tooth on a Nylabone Edible. Emma's allergic to Icelandic Fish Skins. I've just about given up on everything but real bones. They LOVE their marrow bones and get them AT LEAST once a week.

Mama S.
03-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I've stopped rawhides and greenies for the choking thing. Have more than once dug a hunk of mangled rawhide out of the throat of a gulping dog - NO MORE! Now it's bully stix, chicken jerky, but in very limited amounts -
Sandi

By the by

:welcome2: to the DLC!!! Love to hear more about you and your baby!

Bella's Mom
03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Bella gets bully sticks and the occasional CET chew. Her "treats" are baby carrots and green beans.