PDA

View Full Version : Staph Infections

Tribefan
03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Any advice for my 5 year old Doxie, Zeke who is always getting staph infections??? The vet says it's from an allergy but we have yet to figure out to what! He is only off his antibiocs for a few weeks, a month at the most and his staph infection is back!

Thanks!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/Tribefan33/Zeke1.jpg

Mama S.
03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm clueless but wanted to post anyway cuz HE IS GORGEOUS!! :welcome2: :welcome2: to our home on the web! You'll fast find a wonderful welcoming family here! Do be warned - the DLC is quite addicting! I sit at work and get so upset that these dummies around here want me to WORK when I'd rather be on DLC!! :rotfl:
Here are plenty of good ole Georgia :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that you find your answer soon!
SAndi

Tribefan
03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks! He's my baby! We (my SO and I) are hoping to get a red female puppy sometime this year!

JanUet
03-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Sadly, I has no advice to offer either :sorry:
I just wanted to :welcome2: you and Zeke to the DLC family and let you know that we are here for you when you need us.

He is a very handsome little guy. Please give him a smooch from me. :kiss:

Sending you tons of our magical DLC :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to help with Zeke and the nasty infection.

Tribefan
03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I have to start him again on antibiotics today! It starts as little white scab like puss spots that he itches and licks and breaks open and then it spreads all over. Needless to say I keep a close watch and just spotted two spots this morning!!!

Sophie and Lili's Mom
03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
what do you feed him?

Tribefan
03-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Kibbles 'N Bits... or Kibbles 'N Chunks... Do you think it might be the food??

Courtney
03-09-2006, 12:33 PM
YES, it could be the food. It might not cause it, but it might aggravate it.

here is a list of what to look for in a food: http://dogaware.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/dogfeeding.html#commercial

And a list of recommended foods: http://dogaware.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/dogfeeding.html#TopDry

Does he get yearly vaccines? Sometimes shots can play a role and weaken the immune system.

Holistic/homepathic medicine also may help you out. I know little about it myself, but this yahoo group will be able to help you: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ClassicalHomeopathyPets/

Jen
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
:wow3: Zeke is stunning!!

My Tasha had a number of health problems until I switched her to a grain free diet--she's on Evo now and did well on Wellness Simple Solutions too. It could be the food, so I agree with Courtney that trying a new food is a good idea. And even if its not the cause, he may be healthier in other ways!

And :welcome6: :welcome6: to the DLC!!

Sophie and Lili's Mom
03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Yes! I would try a higher quality food. One that you cannot get at the grocery store. They are a bit more expensive but if you stop having vet bills they might come out cheaper.

There is raw but you may or may not want to make that committment. Courtney is the person to talk about raw with.

I love Timberwolf Organics (timberwolforganics.com) but depending on where you are it may be harder to get. YOu can order it online though.

Wellness or EVO are my next favorites. You have to go to a smaller boutique pet store to get therm (ie not PetSmart, PetCo. etc.) but they are pretty easy to get.

The best foods will have meat (not meal) as the top 2 or 3 ing. and will have little or no corn in them.

Tribefan
03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Will definately check out the food thing... Don't think it was the vaccines as we had to wait for a staph infection to clear up before the vet gave us he vaccines...

We rescued him about 3 years ago (poor thing was just skin and bones) and this staph infection thing just started about 9 months ago...

thanks for the suggestions! Going dog food hunting today!

Linus
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
:welcome2: to the DLC!

Another food to add is the Nature's Variety line. They are raw without the work, kind of. :lol: Lots of members feed the frozen medallions, and Bailey eats the kibble. It has worked wonders for his weight, coat, and general health!

Lisa
03-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Zeke is gorgeous! :welcome2: To both of you!!

I am not sure about dogs, but I can speak about humans (since I have staph infections myself). I don't know if dogs can take penicillin, but a surgeon told me it works a million times better than antibiotics, that can't effectively kill staph or maybe he was talking about Strep which I get too :scratch: but I am 90% sure it was Staph. I am allergic to penicillin, so I have to do the antibiotic route and it is exactly like you said, I am okay for a couple of week (sometimes a couple of months) then boom, it's back.

How is the Staph manifesting itself? On his skin or internally? I am not sure how much you want to pursue this, but if there is a Vet teaching hospital near you they might be able to investigate the cause and then a solution easier.

I agree with Courtney also about researching another food, better nutrition would improve his immune system. The link she provided is awesome and you can find a food that fits your budget that will offer a healthier option.

Keep us posted. Again Welcome, we hope to see oodles more pictures of your little :cutiepie2

Yolanda
03-09-2006, 01:05 PM
With an going staph infection is is very important to bath him in some good shampoo. I use on prescribed by my vet for my Sassy. Have they ran a panel to determine what kind of staph it is? You need to clear it up entirely or it will jkeep returning.

It could be allergies or it could be food related. I would suggest using a higher quality of food to start with.

jennie_c_d
03-09-2006, 01:46 PM
My Emma gets staph infections. She's a Jack Russell. She has horrible food allergies, and environmental allergies. I make all of her food for her, and keep her on Benedryll when it's allergy season. Right now, she's taking Benedryll three times a day to keep her from scratching sores onto her skin. If I was feeding something like Kibbles N Bits, there wouldn't be anything that would help. I'd definitely switch up on the food. Something that you can't get at Petsmart would be best. Solid Gold, Innova, Canidae, TimberWolf Organics, Natural Balance (the sweet potato and fish formula is particularly good for skin issues), Nature's Variety, anything like that. They cost more per pound, but they're much more nutrient dense foods, so you'll feed less, and hopefully your baby will need less medicine.

jennie_c_d
03-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh, I don't know if anybody mentioned this or not, but you shuld probably give him a good probiotic, since he's been on antibiotics for so long.

Michelle
03-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice on the staph infections, but I just wanted to say that Zeke is one handsome dude!!. What a regal looking pupper!!!!
Glad to see you found our website!!, Welcome and enjoy all the fun..
Hope you find out some info about the infections..

Patt
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
There is usually an allergy, auto-immune disease problem with staph. Has your vet run a full blood panel including thyroid? If not I would have him do so and then more extensive tests if needed. Does he have lesions and has your vet done skin scrapings? Perhaps you should consult a dermatologist. Try the higher quality food as suggested by other members or a hypo allergenic type of food . If you do change the food (do it gradually) and your pupper needs to be on it for 8 weeks or more to see if there is an improvement or not.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)