PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a dog in the bathtub?

Courtney
03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
CTDR found out about a little puppy with mange in a shelter in East Texas. I am getting him tonight, and Adam is taking him to Austin tomorrow. The shelter says it's sarcoptic mange (the contagious kind) but that is hard to diagnose, and from a pic of him it looks like the mange is more all over, meaning it's probably demodex. He's had 2 ivomec treatments, meaning if it was sarcoptic, it would probably not be contagious still, but our vet said we need to treat him like it is. This means I have to keep him separate from the other dogs tonight. I guess I will put him in the downstairs bathroom. Do you think if I lined the bathtub with taped-down potty pads and towels he would be OK in it? I would not want him to jump out and hurt himself, but maybe if he didn't jump out he'd be OK? Can I put a babygate on the tub so he can't get out? He needs to be kept separate and I would like to keep him on a surface I can disinfect. as I type this out I realize it probably sounds like a bad idea! Anyone have any other ideas?? :D

Linus
03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Actually, if he has to be separate from all other dogs, that sounds like the best place. Like you said, it needs to be a place you can disinfect, so even leaving him in the bathroom would be difficult. If you baby gate above it, and put an old blanket or something in there with him, he should be fine.

Lisa
03-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Awwww, the poor little guy!!! I hope he's okay. Do you have an old cheap crate that you can just give away?

How is Adam going to transport him? Wouldn't it get in his car too? Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to puppy!! And I have to say it again, you and Adam are :angel7: :angel7:

Courtney
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
He'll be in a plastic crate lined with potty pads. I can just disinfect the crate when I get it back. I just don't want to crate him all night and morning, poor thing!

Goob
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
The tub sounds like a good idea, just load it up with toys and blankies and he should be very comfortable! :appl:

Nancy
03-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Poor little guy! I think the tub sounds fine. Best of luck transporting him!

Frzframe
03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Yep that sounds fine. In fact it is something I would do. :)

jennie_c_d
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
My sarcoptic mange foster puppy lived in a crate for a week. He survived it just fine. He was totally covered in mange, and only 3 weeks old, so he was bottle fed. It was a major pain, but he lived through fine and is happy and healthy in his new home. My vet decided to treat him with Revolution, every two weeks (my vet is great. he was sitting at the front desk, and I held out the pup and said, "that's sarcoptic, right? What do I need?" he handed me a Revolution and that's all I paid for). After a week, he was not contagious, and his scabs were drying up and all of that, and I let him out with the other dogs. Itty puppies are so adorable. My photos all went *poof* when my computer crashed last year, so I only have a couple of him:(

lotsadox
03-09-2006, 10:38 PM
He'll proabably be fine in the bathtub. When Bandit had puppies (17 years before I knew better) I kept the pups in the bathtub for several weeks. I just lined it with newspaper and put towels on top. That way I could just take them out and clean it out. It was great because I could clean it out very easily like you said. I think with the gate on top it will work fine.

Patt
03-10-2006, 12:03 AM
A little late.... but totally agree with your idea! :)